Eating but not basking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notta

For the last 2-3 weeks my beardie has been acting very strange. He is around a year old and has almost stopped basking entirely. He will eat, some days a lot and some days not so much but after eating instead of basking like they would normally do he either goes to the opposite end of the tank as the light, or goes under the hammock (which is under the light) and sleeps in the shade. I've been feeding him superworms and dusting them properly for the last few months and he probably poops once or twice every two weeks, and never in his tank for some reason no matter how much he has built up. He wont use the bathroom in the bath either. The only place he feels comfortable enough to poop is on my bed which is a pain (i put a mat under him though). His basking light is a 50 watt bulb with the right amount of UVA and it gets his basking log to around 95-100 degrees F and the rest of his tank is around 85-87 degrees F. He has a 22 inch t5 10.0 uvb on a reflector hood around 9 inches from the basking spot on the inside of the tank with the light mounted by zipties and facing outside of the tank (instead of top down, if you look through the glass you would see the tube if that makes sense). When I take him out of his tank he acts completely normal so my best guess is that his tank is too warm, or the light hurts his eyes. Its the same brand I've been using since I got him called the zoo med reptile basking spot lamp 50 watt. I offer him a different blend of salad every day and he refuses it almost every day. Even though I've been offering him salad since I have got him instead of eating more as he gets older hes eating less. If anyone knows of a better brand of basking bulb id be more than grateful for a link or the name of it. Right now hes in a 40 gallon breeder but I ordered a 4 x 2 x 2 enclosure for him a while back that still hasn't shipped due to corona so my main hope is that once hes in there it will be cooler and more spacious so he will go back to normal but it may be another month before I get the tank. Finally I do bath him once every 3-4 days for around 20-30 minutes or until the warm water gets too cold. I just think it has to be the lighting since he acts like a normal bearded dragon (albeit slower and more lethargic due to the problems above) and as soon as I put him back in his tank he sleeps or avoids the bulb. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and any help at all would be amazing.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How are you taking basking temps? NO stick ons they are inaccurate-- the T 5 UVB is too close - it needs to be 12-15 inches from basking decor - I would put it directly over head of the basking decor - if the light is shining directly in his eyes that could be another issue-- the Zoo Med basking bulb is a good bulb -- you can try the Exo Terra bulb but I think what your using is ok -- as long as its bright white and keeping temps to where they should be -- try getting the UVB adjusted as mentioned and see if that does not make a difference
Karrie

Notta

Original Poster
I'm going to fix the UVB distance as you mentioned in a little bit, while I was waiting for a reply I placed a fan blowing into his tank and with in 3 minutes he was basking for the first time in a while, is there any reason not to use the fan that im missing or is this going to be his new florida summer routine? (my house is kept at 80 degrees and we have kinda bad ac) Thanks for the tips and im glad to hear im using an ok heat bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Get a temp in that tank --- it sounds like hes too hot --- and that too would be why hes not basking -- you dont want basking temps over 110--- how are you taking basking temps? No stick ons they are inaccurate --- cool side of the tank should be 80's -- 87-88 would be almost too hot -- you need a digital probe thermometer from petco or petsmart for $6 --- or a infrared heat gun -- I would lay off the baths too he does not need that many a week -- if hes eating greens you can rinse before serving so he get hydration
Karrie

Notta

Original Poster
oh yeah and i use a temp gun and tested it with the fridge and oven and its accurate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom