Help! Beardie with MBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptikeeper

Hi, my husband and I own a reptile shop and we had a bearded dragon surrendered yesterday that we suspect is suffering from MBD. Joints are puffy, she is lethargic, and has very little use of her back legs. At first we suspected a possible spinal injury but there are no signs of trauma. We didn't know the condition she was in at the time she was dropped off, otherwise we would have asked about her history. She was handed to us in a container and the lady said, "My kid got this 'thing' 6 months ago and refuses to take care of it so can you take it?". And then she left. We are listed as a reptile rescue also, so we get a lot of surrenders. We attempt to rehabilitate and re-home whenever possible (we don't ever sell them, we find good stable homes for them where we know they won't be mistreated or bred) This girl is in bad shape. I have rescuecal+ but I've never had to use it before and the dosing instructions are non-existent. I mixed it in the ratio instructed on the label, but I don't know what to do from here. (And that ratio seems very strong, 300g to 1liter, which scares me) How much do I administer and how often? (I have a T5 HO bulb on her right now). Thanks!!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Tracie our vet moderator is going to have to help you w/ the medication stuff -- in the mean time can you post pics of her --- https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box and then click on the pic it should post-- its great your taking her in the UVB is going to help but I am thinking shes really calcium deficient -- especially w / her not using the back legs - its going to take time getting her back in good health -- in the meantime taking her outside for direct sunlight would do her good - either her sitting on you for 15 minutes or longer on you would work--- or using a plastic tote NO glass they get too hot and placing her in direct sunlight / partial shade for 15 minutes NO longer she will get too hot - you want temps outside 65+ degrees -- Tracie is on at nite and another person on here that could help is AHBD --- I would get her on a good diet of greens /salad and a good protein insect like dubia roaches w/ worms -- supers meal horn butter and silk worms -- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder -- I would hold off on the medication so Tracie can help w/ that
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom