Baby Beardie Impacted??

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of how the tank is set up now--- like it was suggested make sure she can get to her basking spot w/ out a lot of climbing - I am not sure about the messaging thing if it is a bone issue - we need to see if your lighting is correct now so she can start to heal -- basking temps need to be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, it's good that she takes in a bit of nutrition, make sure you add calcium powder to it. Don't massage the tail at all, it is fractured and the bones there will still be soft + brittle. Take her out in the sun daily and get calcium in her, those are the 2 best steps you can take. BTW, did the vet not give you liquid calcium for her ?

hgoldman1

Original Poster
108487-1877759421.jpg

Here is the tank today. Reptisun 10 uvb across the top, her 2 heat bulbs are over the basking spot on the low rock, I removed all climbing structures.

hgoldman1

Original Poster
I did not ask for liquid calcium as I have the powder, i will order the liquid now (fluker's liquid calcium supplement for reptiles). Do you recommend I pick her up and still do warm baths or should I try not to take her out as often? I want to thank you all so much for your help also xoxo

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K., that's great that you got the bulb so quickly ! You can pick her up to take her outside, just be careful that she doesn't jump. Be careful with liquid calcium as well, you just need a very tiny smudge of a drop. Just a few other Q's + a suggestion, how many watts are the heat bulbs ? You don't want to overheat her, babies can get heat stroke quickly. Give her water by dripping it very slowlly
onn her nose, she should lap it up. One more thing , you need to attach the fixture under the screen if your bulb is a t8. Use picture hanging wire, strong type of string or twine . Like this :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30028/full

hgoldman1

Original Poster
Okay great I will attach that, she drinks water each day when I put her in the warm bath. The large heat bulb is 75w and the small came with the tank 25w

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I see a red glow -- please get rid of the red bulb----- the basking decor needs to be directly under the UVB approx 8-10 inches from it--- you need a bright white basking bulb to get temps to 105-110 --you need a digital probe thermometer $6 from Petco or Petsmart ---- NO colored bulbs-- please get rid of the hammock and put in something like a shoe box w/ something soft she can pull her self up on like a towel or blanket --- she can use the shoe box for a hide as well -- I am not sure about picking her up I would let her be -- she needs to be fed first thing in the morning greens or a salad - I would order her some BSFL from here http://www.symtonbsf.com order large make sure you use a glass or ceramic bowl so they cant get out -- these are a staple feeder and you do not need to dust-- add them as a supplement to your crickets- you can disable the crickets by pulling a back leg off or you can order some small dubia roaches and use those in the food bowl so they can get out - that will help her from having to chase them -- you can order the BSFL or nutri grubs or calci worms or phoenix worms all the same thing from here http://www.dubiaroaches.com --- roaches are better nutritional wise and easier to keep -- you can use a 10 gallon aquarium feed dubia food along w/ carrots and squash for hydration --- I would get them ordered right away -- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
I would also look at getting her some silk worms - you can order like 50 that is bulk they will send small so you would need to order food to feed them as well and clean containers daily- they are another good staple feeder --- start w/ the roaches and the BSFL --- those are going to be easier for her to eat --- order small roaches they have pictures of how big they are --
Karrie

hgoldman1

Original Poster
I can order the bright white basking bulb, but I am a college student and not working right now so I cannot order everything although I would love to... what bulb do I use at night if not colored?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
None!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go to your pet store look for a basking bulb or Walmart get some of these 4 white energy saver halogen bulbs 100 watt equivalent 2 x life mercury free--- try one of those but you must have a digital probe ---- what size is the tank your using a 75 watt now ? you can try a exo terra bright white basking bulb they are not expensive and get a digital probe thermometer that is a MUST you need to get basking temps --- I cannot stress that enough ---------- if you can take the screen off the tank and leave it off and set the UVB fixture width wise and basking bulb along side of it w/ screen either half on or the basking bulb clamped to the end will work as well -- I had my 20 gallon set up this way
97951-9562450009.jpg
the UVB is sitting width wise and the basking bulb is a 75 watt clamped at the end of the tank --- you can do that too whatever is easiest for you
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You only need 2 lights in that tank a UVB of which you have now and a bright white basking bulb - if your using a 75 watt start there but you haft to have a digital probe thermometer --- she will not be able to digest her food w/ out proper temps--- the UVB is going to help her absorb her calcium that you are giving her and heal her bones --- and prevent MBD ---- your tank should not be falling below 65 at night -- she will be fine w/ temps in the 70's --- your digital probe is going to tell you that --- when you get the probe take it place it on the spot where she sits to bask leave 10 minutes get temp -- 105-110 is where you want it --- the colored bulb is hurting her eyes and can cause long term eye damage -she needs darkness and cool for a good nites rest - Make sure there is NO plastic cover over the bulb -- the bulb needs to be exposed
Karrie

hgoldman1

Original Poster
She is only in a 10 gallon tank now, once she grows i have a 20 gallon. Is the wattage being 75 ok?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok your gonna need to get her into the 20 gallon now set it up the way I have mine if you can ---- its going to be easier to take care of her w/ no screen -- can you do that ? No other animals in the house? Do not use a 100 watt bulb the 75 should be good for temps --- I had a 75 watt in the 20 gallon shown -- the dome hanging to the far end dark side of tank is a heat emitter it produces only heat NO light - at some point you may haft to invest in one but if the tank is in the 70's during the nite your good --- not below 65 but at this point you dont know what the temp is correct? You need both of what I told you ASAP---- digital probe $6 and bright white basking bulb $4 or so ---- please go get them
Karrie

hgoldman1

Original Poster
Right now i only know the temp of the entire tank as I only have the sticky thermometer, I am going to go get the other 2 items. I cannot put her in a tank without the top as I have a dog around and I am not able to hang anything above the tank... I always had the lid on with my other beardie and he was happy and healthy for 8 years so I have to leave the top on due to other pets.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is there a way to put that 20 gallon tank up high enough like on a dresser the dog cant get to? What ever you do that UVB needs to have NO obstruction from the UVB rays --- anything in front of the UVB is going to block it that is why I said to take the screen off --- or even have it half on and half off -- or 3/4 just so the UVB is unobstructed -- so its sitting on one end w/ the basking bulb sitting on the screen if you haft to --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom