Baby Beardie Impacted??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hgoldman1

Original Poster
She has been eating, she licks the prune juice and I gave her mushed up peas, a few days ago she had two small crickets and she ran at them with no issue

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No uvb in a red bulb. It's just a money maker for the companies, same as the blue + some other bulbs. For heat you can get these [ see link I posted ] at Walmart/ Home Depot for about 5-6 bucks a 4-pack. And that's good that she'll eeat, a few small calcium dusted crickets are O.K. for her along with the other stuff. Don't give her any of the Omnivore mix, it's too dry for her.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29993/full

hgoldman1

Original Poster
My Petco had an 18 inch slimline desert fixture includes desert 50UVB T8 fluorescent bulb is this ok?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If they don't have the Reptisun 10.0 you can get that but you could look for the Reptisun online. If you get the zilla you need to check if it has a plastic shield over the bulb, if so it needs to be removed. Getting her in the sun daily for 30 minutes or more will do the most good, she'll get strong uvb from the sun. Uvb is needed for beardies to absorb calcium to keep them from developing MBD.

hgoldman1

Original Poster
It does have a plastic shield, if I remove this wouldn’t it just lay on top of the tank and light up the Entire room?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No it needs to be directly over her basking area 8-10 inches -- this will give the best effect -- I would switch it out to the Reptisun 10.0 T 8 bulb--- its a way better bulb-
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can use the same hood the Zilla it needs to go inside the tank I forgot to tell you that -- the screen will filter out 30% of the rays so you want it inside the tank approx 8-10 inches from decor piece -- you can use these to hang w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line -- potted plant hanger wire --shoe laces --
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Did you get rid of the red bulb? Those are NO NO's -- you need a bright white basking bulb-- one that keeps temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- they are cheap Petco or Petsmart $6 -- please invest in one - your UVB and basking temps are the most crucial thing in that tank --- What size is your tank ?
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I know it's confusing, the plastic shield is not the fixture housing, it's a clear piece of plastic underneath , in front of the bulb. Most zilla fixtures have it but maybe the one you have does not.

hgoldman1

Original Poster
Great. I set everything up, she just had 1 small cricket... should I leave this UVB light on overnight tonight to get her extra hours with it on? will update hopefully with some positive news soon.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sounds good but turn lights off as usual. Post a pic of the lighting arrangement when you have a chance, I'm sure it's been a long day. :)

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
That looks like a fracture to me, you need to make sure he or she is not moving around and causing it to move because that will undo the healing process. I only know how to immobilize broken human bones, so I’m not sure how I’d immobilize that, but I’d keep a reptile vet on call in case any signs of infection appear. Keep an eye out and go to the reptile vet if any of the following happens:
- bloody stool
- pus leaking from the vent
- there’s a foul odor coming from that area on your dragon
- seizures start happening (cerebrospinal infection)
- the tail starts turning black and starts shriveling up
- your beardie starts vomiting
- your beardie starts blackbearding

Some great signs include:
- hematoma (blood pooling in the area *in a controlled manner* - blood cells bring the building blocks for new bone to be made.)
- use of hind legs (swelling will likely deactivate the nerves for a while
- movement in the tail

Take a photo every day so you can compare and show a vet if you need to.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your little one doing?
So you were able to get a Reptisun 10 tube bulb for him now?
I would say that he is probably having bone issues, due to not having any UVB light. He
could have injured himself possibly, as well.
How long has he had the bump?
Try to lower the basking spot for him so he doesn't have to climb up to bask, etc. He doesn't
need to hurt himself any further.

Tracie

hgoldman1

Original Poster
I was able to get the reptisun 10 bulb. She had a warm bath last night and a little bit of poo came out, she licks prune juice like it’s a treat so that is good. The very end of her tail is very hard so the vet suggested some neosporin. The bump has been there for about a week now. Should I not massage the bump since it could be a bone issue? I don’t want to further hurt her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom