3 week old beardy stopped eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirandasue

Original Poster
So after replacing the uvb light, we had quite a few days of good eating! But now yesterday he only ate about 5 bugs total and today has no interest in eating. I did notice he is shedding a little on his tail and face, could this lack of appetite be due to the shedding?

Draven88

Hatchling Member
It is entirely possible that shedding has effected appetite. And a day every now and then of less eating isn't necessarily a problem as long as it doesn't last long. You sorted out the UVB already but I would just recheck temps periodically as changes in the ambient room around can effect their temps in the enclosure with changes and it can throw things a little off. Also if the insects aren't moving much you can try making them move more as that does peak interest.

Mirandasue

Original Poster
Okay thank you! I got him to eat one calcium dusted cricket today at least! The issue with the bugs moving a lot is that they get away from him so quickly and he has no interest hunting them at all!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Shedding will cause them to be grumpy and off their food but they should eat a little - if he stops eating all together there is a issue- is he eating salads as well ?
Karrie

Mirandasue

Original Poster
He had 2 or 3 bites of salad the day before yesterday. Nothing today though. I've tried putting bsfl and dubias in there to make the salad move and nothing for the last 2 days.

Mirandasue

Original Poster
You cant even see where he was shedding in these photos. It was just his tail that shed a lot yesterday and his face a tiny tiny bit the last 2 days. Nothing else.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I wanted to see how bad his shed was I was expecting it to be more --- I know it does throw them off their eating -- and you have correct basking temps of 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe or heat gun and your UVB is a T 5 top of screen? Basking decor directly under it 8-10 inches ????????? Correct?? We need to rule out the lighting and temps
Karrie

Mirandasue

Original Poster
Yes I have the T5 outside the tank for uvb basking spot is about 7 inches away. Basking spot temp is taken with a temp gun and it is usually 106 to 109. So there should be no issues anymore with any of that!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
nope that is good --- ok so since that is ruled out we need to see what he does here in the next few days -- as long as hes eating something thats good - are you feeding any other insect besides crickets? And your feeding them small crickets? They will not eat them if they are too big -- well most of them -- sometimes we have people feed them to big then they become impacted -- how about hyrdation ? They wont eat if they are not hydrated either
Karrie

Mirandasue

Original Poster
He actually just ate 1 dubia roach. So I alternate between crickets and dubias and bsfl. Yesterday he was all about drinking from droplets I drop on his snout he drank a lot like that. Today not too interested.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok well atleast hes eating not alot -- and drinking too - watch his poops for the urate - if the urate is chalky and dried out looking hes dehydrated - they need to be firm moist and white --- the poop firm moist and formed -- keep an eye on his eating the few days see if it increases--- if he stops all together then we have a problem --- I would get a weight on him -- a kitchen food scale weigh in grams - keep track of it --- if he is losing a lot of weight there is a issue -- what is the substrate in the tank ?
Karrie

Mirandasue

Original Poster
I have the repticarpet on the bottom of the tank. And he has a vet appt next Friday for a wellness check and fecal test too

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok-- it's possible he could have parasites but he is pretty young for that but it needs to be ruled out and he could be back to eating by then - if he is I recommend taking fecal in only- it's going to really stress him out so vet visit should be last resort
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom