3 week old beardy stopped eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirandasue

Original Poster
So after replacing the uvb light, we had quite a few days of good eating! But now yesterday he only ate about 5 bugs total and today has no interest in eating. I did notice he is shedding a little on his tail and face, could this lack of appetite be due to the shedding?

Draven88

Hatchling Member
It is entirely possible that shedding has effected appetite. And a day every now and then of less eating isn't necessarily a problem as long as it doesn't last long. You sorted out the UVB already but I would just recheck temps periodically as changes in the ambient room around can effect their temps in the enclosure with changes and it can throw things a little off. Also if the insects aren't moving much you can try making them move more as that does peak interest.

Mirandasue

Original Poster
Okay thank you! I got him to eat one calcium dusted cricket today at least! The issue with the bugs moving a lot is that they get away from him so quickly and he has no interest hunting them at all!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Shedding will cause them to be grumpy and off their food but they should eat a little - if he stops eating all together there is a issue- is he eating salads as well ?
Karrie

Mirandasue

Original Poster
He had 2 or 3 bites of salad the day before yesterday. Nothing today though. I've tried putting bsfl and dubias in there to make the salad move and nothing for the last 2 days.

Mirandasue

Original Poster
You cant even see where he was shedding in these photos. It was just his tail that shed a lot yesterday and his face a tiny tiny bit the last 2 days. Nothing else.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I wanted to see how bad his shed was I was expecting it to be more --- I know it does throw them off their eating -- and you have correct basking temps of 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe or heat gun and your UVB is a T 5 top of screen? Basking decor directly under it 8-10 inches ????????? Correct?? We need to rule out the lighting and temps
Karrie

Mirandasue

Original Poster
Yes I have the T5 outside the tank for uvb basking spot is about 7 inches away. Basking spot temp is taken with a temp gun and it is usually 106 to 109. So there should be no issues anymore with any of that!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
nope that is good --- ok so since that is ruled out we need to see what he does here in the next few days -- as long as hes eating something thats good - are you feeding any other insect besides crickets? And your feeding them small crickets? They will not eat them if they are too big -- well most of them -- sometimes we have people feed them to big then they become impacted -- how about hyrdation ? They wont eat if they are not hydrated either
Karrie

Mirandasue

Original Poster
He actually just ate 1 dubia roach. So I alternate between crickets and dubias and bsfl. Yesterday he was all about drinking from droplets I drop on his snout he drank a lot like that. Today not too interested.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok well atleast hes eating not alot -- and drinking too - watch his poops for the urate - if the urate is chalky and dried out looking hes dehydrated - they need to be firm moist and white --- the poop firm moist and formed -- keep an eye on his eating the few days see if it increases--- if he stops all together then we have a problem --- I would get a weight on him -- a kitchen food scale weigh in grams - keep track of it --- if he is losing a lot of weight there is a issue -- what is the substrate in the tank ?
Karrie

Mirandasue

Original Poster
I have the repticarpet on the bottom of the tank. And he has a vet appt next Friday for a wellness check and fecal test too

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok-- it's possible he could have parasites but he is pretty young for that but it needs to be ruled out and he could be back to eating by then - if he is I recommend taking fecal in only- it's going to really stress him out so vet visit should be last resort
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom