my bearded dragon is gaping!! Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Ok hi, I'm back again! So ziggy has been gaping and I've heard it can be one of two things. Either he's regulating his temps or he has respiratory issues! Yikes, now I'm scared he has respiratory issues because it happens somewhat frequently even when he's out of his viv and it can last about max 30 seconds if my memory serves me I'm really scared something is wrong with him, please any advice is very appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
post a pic of him gaping--- is there any mucous coming out of the mouth nose - does he have bubbles in the mouth? Is he eating basking pooping and being active? Is his humidity in his tank below 70%? Good basking temps and good UVB and good diet will keep the vet away
Karrie

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3u9ch4il said:
post a pic of him gaping--- is there any mucous coming out of the mouth nose - does he have bubbles in the mouth? Is he eating basking pooping and being active? Is his humidity in his tank below 70%? Good basking temps and good UVB and good diet will keep the vet away
Karrie
When I catch him ill post it! No mucous or bubbles that I've seen and he loves basking he poops every day and he just went through a shed so not at the moment but there is times when he is and this boy loves his bugs and mustard greens and kale. His humidity is 42% at the moment but it falls to about 38% as the day progresses and his basking temps are 93.7 degrees and his cooldown is 83 degrees.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Gaping is one way of adjusting his body temp- they call it thermoglating- his basking temps could be a little higher - we usually recommend 95-110-- it's nice to offer a heat gradient- a piece of decor where they have different spots to sit stand lay etc-- everything else sounds good
Karrie

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":17jr6xmc said:
Gaping is one way of adjusting his body temp- they call it thermoglating- his basking temps could be a little higher - we usually recommend 95-110-- it's nice to offer a heat gradient- a piece of decor where they have different spots to sit stand lay etc-- everything else sounds good
Karrie
Ok awesome I actually just checked and his basking temp is 97 degrees. Thank you for the help! So happy everything else sounds good!

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3gspy6q0 said:
Karrie
Hi so I actually just got a pic of ziggy gaping also I just found out ziggy is actually a girl so that's crazy! Let me know what you think about the pic!!
108349-9066255963.jpg
108349-9577268613.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your basking bulb is a off colored? And yes that is normal for what hes doing- if your using a off colored bulb I recommend you change it out to a bright white bulb --- you want to mimic the sun as much as possible--
Karrie

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3qiw0y4j said:
Your basking bulb is a off colored? And yes that is normal for what hes doing- if your using a off colored bulb I recommend you change it out to a bright white bulb --- you want to mimic the sun as much as possible--
Karrie
It is white my phone makes it look green though! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom