Weird breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon just finished shedding or so I thought recently I saw his nose and mouth were shedding. I went to take a picture of him while he was basking and his mouth was open and I noticed
108252-3260496576.jpg
that there was a air bubble in the back of his mouth and whenever he breathes it moves I don’t know if something is wrong or not.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
A air bubble can you get a pic of the inside of his mouth? Is he wheezing or making noises when he breaths? Sometimes bubbles in the mouth could be a sign of RI -- what is the humidity in the tank? What are his basking temps and how are you taking them NO stick on! Is he eating?
Karrie

worried4griff

Original Poster
He’s not making any noises. I do have a stick on thermometer is that bad? It usually says his humidity is at 47 I think it’s at 50 right now which is a little higher than it’s supposed to be but I thought it would go down if I just left it. He is eating, earlier this week he wouldn’t eat a lot of his veggies but he ate them all today. He’s acted normal other than that I can’t think of anything out of the ordinary. Except the other day he leaned away from me when I went to take him out of his cage which he usually doesn’t do but I figured it was just cause I had people over and we were kinda loud so I thought he just didn’t get much sleep and was tired.

worried4griff

Original Poster
I’ll take a picture of the inside of his mouth tomorrow he is currently sleeping. I have a video of him breathing like that but he won’t upload to this site.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can record on you tube then post the link in your message box -- stick ons do not give accurate basking temps - you need a digital probe thermometer like this https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5176729
Your humidity will drop during the day w/ the lights on and it should not go above 70% - so if its at 50 its fine - get a accurate basking temp they should be 95-110 -- what are you using for a UVB? Basking temps and UVB are the MOST important thing in your tank --- NO coils or colored bulbs --
Karrie

worried4griff

Original Poster
108252-4678917797.jpg
108252-2141558440.jpg
108252-108324076.jpg
108252-1928233821.jpg
Okay so I’ve been keeping watch of him today and I noticed that in the mornings he has kinda sorry if this TMI but his bowel movements more on the liquid side but he usually poops twice a day and the 2nd one looks normal except for the fact that his pee is kinda a salmon color. Also he took a LONG time to shed like almost a full month he’s only 6 months old and I mean he finished and there wasn’t any stuck shed so I kinda figured he just took a little longer than he was supposed to (yes I bathed him 2 or 3 times a week). I don’t know if that’s bad or not. But besides that his personality hasn’t changed at all.

worried4griff

Original Poster
I don’t know what kind of UVB light it is cause it came with him when I bought him, I’m assuming zoo med since that’s where the rest of the stuff that came with him was from. I’ve only had him for a month and half maybe 2 so I’m assuming that they don’t hav ego be changed yet but in complete honesty I don’t really know how to tell if they’ve gone bad or not.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The issue is the coil UVB--- if its the 13 watt please get rid of it --- they are a inadequate UVB-- if your tank is 40 gallon or bigger I am gonna say hes basically been getting no UVB--- they are not equipped to handle larger tanks and even in a smaller tank I would not use it --- I would replace it w / a 24' fixture w/ reflector and get a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --- and I would do this ASAP---- improper UVB is going to cause all kinds of health issues --
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Its going to say on the bulb what wattage it is --- please get rid of it
Karrie

Draven88

Hatchling Member
That bulb LOOKS like what is sold in the supposed starter setups at petsmart. While the enclosure size is fine temporarily on those (for a baby) the lights are severely lacking. It comes with a 5.0 version of https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/bulbs-and-lamps/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-compact-desert-reptile-lamp-14898.html?cgid=500110

Its basically halfway between a coil bulb and a tube in appearance, but I have no reference for accurate UVB output. Sadly though even if it was good UVB output its severely limited in exposure area compared to the long fixture with a good 10.0 T5 tube which allows them to be in a much bigger area for thermo-regulation and still get UVB.

worried4griff

Original Poster
108252-7668073242.jpg
I was looking at the one lamp you had recommended and the reviews said that it doesn’t last very long. Is there another lamp you might recommend? When I look up good lamps for them it shows me the one I already have.

worried4griff

Original Poster
108252-7722178264.jpg
would you recommend this one? I’m sorry for so many questions the light fixtures are just expensive and I don’t want to get one that doesn’t solve the problem

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
This is what you need this one has a bulb do not use it its not for reptiles
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/images/detailed/8/t5-ho.jpg
This is a better one https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/images/detailed/12/ZM_T5_Hood_ep9z-yd.jpg and of course they are out of stock but you know what they look like now
Here is the bulb its one of the best on the market now
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/images/detailed/14/arcadia-T5-Reptile_UVB_12_.jpg and of course they are out of stock or this one too
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/images/detailed/4/zoo-med-uvb-10-T5.jpg you might find this one in your pet store - they all carry different inventory
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom