glass surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey everyone! so i have a baby beardie who WOULD NOT stop glass surfing. He’s about 3 months old. The warm side of his tank is 90 degrees and the basking spot is 105. The cool side stays around 85. At night the tank is 73-75. I measure the temps with a digital thermometer with a probe. I have a 10.0 T8 reptisun UVB tube and his lights are on a 12 hour on 12 off schedule. He gets fed medium sized phoenix worms 3 times a day along with a mix of dandelion and collard greens and occasionally ill mix in some red bell pepper cause he seems to really like it. he poops regularly; soft white urates with soft stools usually twice a day. he has two trees in his tank that he can climb on; one on the warm spot under his basking light and one on the cooler side. He had a small rock to hide in and a fake plant behind it but he only hid inside of it one time. I have him in a 40 gallon tank with a desert background on three sides instead of one. i thought this would make the glass surfing stop incase he was seeing his reflection but it hasn’t. i put a bigger rock cave in there for him to find and hide in incase he was stressed because he didn’t know where to hide from the heat/hide from plain sight since he never went in the smaller one. however, since i put the new cave in, he’s had stress marks all over and waved a couple times at it. Should i take it out and put back the old one or just let him get used to this one being in there? i just really wanted him to be able to find a place to hide since i can’t find any other reason for him to be glass surfing but it is very frequent. if anyone has advice i’d appreciate it immensely!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They tend to glass surf at that age mine did as well -- his tank set up sounds great - I would leave the bigger hide in there - I am sure that is not the cause of the glass surfing - sounds like hes just restless - I would not get him out tho- holding is fine but letting him run is risky-- how long have you had him? I find mine are very energetic after going to the bathroom - both of mine seem to run the tank after going poop -- of which I am busy cleaning up the mess right after they go so they are not running thru it -- other than that just let him run the tank-- where is your T 8? It needs to be inside the tank approx 8-10 inches from the basking decor piece and NO cover over that bulb - it needs to be exposed for best effects of the UVB
Karrie

dnewnam2001

Original Poster
thanks so much, that makes me feel a lot better!! and yeah a lot of the running around and glass surfing is first thing in the morning right after he poops. he’ll do it a bit throughout the day after that but not nearly as much. and i used to have the bulb on top of the screen on his tank, but i then learned that it blocks a lot of the UVB so i recently mounted it to the back wall of his tank 8 inches from the basking spot. There’s no cover over it and it has reflective panels on the inside of the fixture. He seems like a pretty happy guy i was just worried he’d hurt his little nose doing it so often :/ But if it’s something that he’ll eventually grow out of, i’ll try to stop worrying so much haha. I’m trying so hard to grow out of my seperation anxiety from him lol, i’m always worried that i’m not doing something right and i’ll just continue to check on him ALLLL the time. it’s like having a human baby for the first time!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He should do fine --- feed him a good diet of staple feeder insects-- greens (salad) is he eating salads? and worms and he will have a balanced diet--- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder --- if you need websites for worms let me know I can post some for you
Karrie

dnewnam2001

Original Poster
Yeah he does really good with greens! Started eating them pretty much as soon as i got him. He gets phoenix worms 3 times a day along with his dandelion greens and collard greens. I ordered my BSFL from symton BSF and he looooves them. probably eats around 65 a day. i just ordered him some silk worms to try just to switch it up a bit. i wanted to get butterworms but unfortunately can’t find them anywhere :/ have you had any luck finding butterworms?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well yes I did find the butterworms but shipping was to expensive so I did not order them-- I think it was mulberry farms but not sure I have been checking websites daily and nothing- even dubias are getting harder to find now-- I did get them from reptilesplus--
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom