Scared or resting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chumon

Beardie name(s)
Scooter
Hello everyone, I have yet another question...this time on the behavior side of things. So I've been trying to handle Scooter more lately now that hes getting bigger. Hes still skittish of me and I'm trying to learn how to be less intimidating to him. The other day I had him out and he ran straight to my shoulder. He LOVES to sit up there, but I definitely only let him when I'm sitting. I havent let him leave the bed yet in fact as my house is not exactly lizard proof atm.

Anyways he was sitting up there like this:
full

And then suddenly he scooted further back toward my hood and hid his face under the flap of it with his eyes closed. I read that closing their eyes tends to mean they dont like something. Was he starting to take a nap? Or was he scared and trying to hide? :c I dont want to make him too nervous while I'm trying to get him used to me so I definitely dont wanna push too much attention on him.

Thanks so much.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Go sit w/ him in your LR put him up on a chair or couch in front of a window - let him sit there they like to look out side--- the hiding in the hood of your shirt w/ eyes closed he went to take nap-- closing of the eyes when you pet their heads mean they trust you -- keep working w/ him -- they know you by scent and voice
Karrie

chumon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scooter
KarrieRee":1jl2e21t said:
Go sit w/ him in your LR put him up on a chair or couch in front of a window - let him sit there they like to look out side--- the hiding in the hood of your shirt w/ eyes closed he went to take nap-- closing of the eyes when you pet their heads mean they trust you -- keep working w/ him -- they know you by scent and voice
Karrie
Thank you so much, the last thing I want to do is scare the little guy. I'm glad to know he was just napping though. I'll definitely keep working with him. <3

Draven88

Hatchling Member
Completely agree, In most cases when they close their eyes its contentment and trust. And they do love to see outside and just watch things going on in general. Mine will even sit and just watch the TV because the movement and I'm guessing the colors helps.

If the closing of the was was something bad I would expect some other negative reaction accompanying that, but from your picture he looks more curious about what the camera was doing with the tilted head to look at it. That kind of action lends more to actively thinking / taking in surroundings and not bothered at all.

chumon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scooter
Draven88":3l336nta said:
Completely agree, In most cases when they close their eyes its contentment and trust. And they do love to see outside and just watch things going on in general. Mine will even sit and just watch the TV because the movement and I'm guessing the colors helps.

If the closing of the was was something bad I would expect some other negative reaction accompanying that, but from your picture he looks more curious about what the camera was doing with the tilted head to look at it. That kind of action lends more to actively thinking / taking in surroundings and not bothered at all.
That's so great to hear. I feel kind of bad for putting him back now haha but I will definitely keep up taking him out at least once a day. I have noticed hes much more okay with petting now than when he was littler. I'm glad he likes my hoodie too, I think I'm gonna put a shirt in his cage too so he can smell me more even when I'm not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom