No poos in brumation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koru25

Hi there,
Sandy our beardie is 15 months old and showed signs of going into brumation on 5th April, black beard, hissed at my son (his daddy) and was sleeping in cool end of viv a lot. As per the care sheets here, we have made sure he has a bath once a week and he has been waking up as a result of this bath as well, so we have fed him a few locusts. However, he hasn't pooed said locusts out and I am worried about them fermenting in his gut and causing problems. Should I continue to bath him every few days? I feel bad bathing him as it really wakes him up when he clearly wants to be sleeping. Also am I meant to feed him when he wakes up if he wants (although it feels like he is only awake as we are bathing him!)? I worry about feeding him in case he then doesn't poo (current situation) but then I don't want to deprive him if he wants food! Argh!
I have two human children (10 and #8) but right now feeling like a new mum in relation to beardie!
I'm really worried about doing the right thing and don't want Sandy to get sick from having fermenting locusts in his gut.
Thanks in advance!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it's actually not at all necessary to wake them to eat + drink, they would not do so in the wild and we don't need to feed them unless they wake up + come out on their own. Sandy should be fine, he''ll come out when he's ready. :)

Koru25

Original Poster
Hi, thanks for your reply!
We were only giving him as bath as I read the Brumation section of the 'Care sheets and Articles' on this site which says:
"...when Bearded Dragons go into brumation in the wild, it is a common practice for them to burrow under things in their environment, or to bury themselves in moist soil to ensure that they receive enough hydration for them to survive until Spring. Beardies have evolved, over the years, to be able to take in a certain amount of moisture throught their vents, which is enough for them to exist on while in a dormant state....it will be up to you to ensure that he takes in enough fluids for him to survive and remain healthy during the time that he is brumating. The easiest and most effective way to do this is to remove him from his tank, once a week, and give him a 20-30 minute soak in warm water."
Should I not be bathing him then? Confused!
In between sleeps and baths he's been waking and eating (only locusts, he's gone off veg), but hasn't pooed in prob 2 weeks which is why I am worried.

SPandS

Juvie Member
That article really needs to be updated. It used to be common theory that bearded dragons can absorb liquid through their vents but has since been proven wrong. I personally have never bathed either of mine while they brumated but I do offer water with a syringe if they are awake. How long is yours up for when you feed him? Does he bask at all afterwards? 2 weeks isn't that long to not poop but I wouldn't be offering any more food unless he basks for a bit so he can digest.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I was typing my reply at the same time as SandP and I agree. I read that article long ago and can tell you that is is not based on fact. Bearded dragons stay in a cool burrow in the wild but there is no moisture being drawn up in to their vent. That is impossible and not proven in any way. Think about it. In order for a bearded dragon to obtain hydration with that theory, they would need to have a flow of water directly under their tail or be in very muddy area . Then they would have to have a strong vaccuum like suction mechanism that worked to suck up the water through their vent while they are sleeping, extracting water from the mud. So picture that in your mind......it does not happen and is impossible. Sorry to say but the writer was mistaken. It does not happen. Beardies , nor any reptile, do not suck up water through their vent during brumation. Their body + metabolism slow way down so they do not need to take in hydration or food. In captivity they brumate in different ways + for different lengths of time. Mine usually do so for 2-3 months. They are in a cool basement [ about 60-63 degrees ] and they sleep solid for the most part. No harm has ever come, they wake up and begin eating + drinking shortly after. Some dragons live in a house where it never gets that cold so they may wake up now + then and can be given hydration by dripping water slowly on their mouth to give them a drink. Paper towels can be tucked under their neck to catch any excesss water so it doesn't pool under the dragon and leave them wet. Or if the dragon is awake and comes out of their cave you can give them a short, warm soak to give them an opportunity too drink. They drink through their mouth, not their vent. You don't need to feed your beardie when he wakes unless he's going to stay awake, but either way, he will eventually poo. You can soak him for 10 minutes or drip water on his snout to give him a drink. You can also give him natural " laxatives " like baby food squash, sweet potato, green bean or prunes. Do you you current pics of him and his set up by the way ?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Just echoing the advice that has been given so far.

And I agree, the article needs to be updated, it's something we are working on :)

-Brandon

Koru25

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your replies. This is a relief to us! It didn't feel 'right' waking him, but we thought that was the best thing based on article. It doesn't make sense now you explain it, but I thought it was plausible as there are other insects (ok not reptiles, but similar!) that soak water up their vents, I read that woodlice do - unless that's incorrect too lol!

SandP - He wakes up about once a week/ 10 days and looks alert, but doesn't wake up for long. He was waking after we had bathed him. It felt a bit mean to wake him up tbh! He has been basking for a bit after feeding, then retreats to cold end.

I've included a couple of photos, of the left end with heat bulb in cage. Sandy is sleeping on the right. Usually he is under some kitchen roll! My other son 'borrowed' beardies hide for his snake viv a while back and there is debate as to whether Sandy is happy enough without it or needs it back! He seems to be sleeping fine without it so far.

It's kinda ironic that he went into brumation at beginning of April when lockdown began here (UK) :lol: !!

full

full

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So he gets under the kitchen roll for a snooze, huh ? They will find their own spot if there's no cave. :) One thing I'd be careful of, some dragons will eat the fake greenery and that long piece there looks like something that my beardie's would try to eat.

Koru25

Original Poster
AHBD":1ogw26l1 said:
So he gets under the kitchen roll for a snooze, huh ? They will find their own spot if there's no cave. :) One thing I'd be careful of, some dragons will eat the fake greenery and that long piece there looks like something that my beardie's would try to eat.

Yes he likes to snooze under the paper! He doesn't seem to bother about the greenery, but I'll perhaps tuck it under itself so its not dangling, just to be safe! Thanks

Koru25

Original Poster
loljelloclowdz":dq91dh3a said:
Man, I wish humans brumated. I’d love to wake up at the end of quarantine! ?
Haha I know me too, that would make life easier lol!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom