Is it time for a diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSMorgan

All,
I have been tracking Lannan's weight and length since bringing him home in August of 2019. Now, at 11 months of age, he has grown exponentially and eats everything in sight. As of today, he is 20 1/2 inches long and 500 grams in weight. At this point, I am wondering if now is the time for an "adult diet?" Daily, I feed greens and veggies with a mix of dubias, crickets, and a variety of worms. Wondering if I should cut back the bugs to X3 per week now, or in a month at his first hatch day? Any input appreciated.

105533-5220647790.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Lannan looks great, he is a big boy!
You could consider decreasing his insect protein now at his age. Does he eat his greens &
veggies regularly? For maintenance, you can give 30-40 insects weekly or up to 50 so you
don't starve him. He has good fat stores so I don't think his weight will decrease any. He
will continue to fill out well into his second year also.

Tracie

MSMorgan

Original Poster
Drache613":2z3983bs said:
Hello,

Lannan looks great, he is a big boy!
You could consider decreasing his insect protein now at his age. Does he eat his greens &
veggies regularly? For maintenance, you can give 30-40 insects weekly or up to 50 so you
don't starve him. He has good fat stores so I don't think his weight will decrease any. He
will continue to fill out well into his second year also.

Tracie

Tracie,

Thank you for your quick response. Yes, he eats a bit of his greens and veggies daily. I try to offer different veggies (squash, asparagus, green beans, carrot, etc.) throughout the week with either turnip, mustard, cilantro or collards. He eats some, but mostly picks through the bowl to find what he wants, which is usually the carrot. Go figure, who ever heard of a picky, spoiled BD. :lol:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, he looks good. :) You can add kale to his diet as well, many beardies enjoy it as a staple green.

MSMorgan

Original Poster
AHBD":o4mdj1vi said:
I agree, he looks good. :) You can add kale to his diet as well, many beardies enjoy it as a staple green.

Yes, thank you. I forgot to add kale to the greens list. I try to mix it up as much as possible, as different greens supply different vitamins and minerals. I just wish I had the variety. Right now it's difficult to find much variety with COVID protocol and procedures still in effect.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom