Can Bearded Dragons Get Separation Anxiety?

Have any questions about one of the many subtle behaviors a beardie has? Ask and discuss it here!

Can Bearded Dragons Get Separation Anxiety?

Postby Selkie1993 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:54 am

Hi Everyone!

Drogon's been doing great :) Loved the dubias and supers, so thanks for the help on previous feeding topics. Although, now he's totally disinterested in BSFL XD :banghead:

Drogon's setup has been the same, clean and same temps, eating area, basking spot, etc. However, he constantly wants to come out!! I'll let him out for an hour and when he starts getting cold, I'll put him back in the tank. But then he gives me this longing look with a blackbeard like No, I want out!! He'll pretty much freak out if I'm not in the room or letting him out.

Is this separation anxiety? If not, how can I curb this behavior?

Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Can Bearded Dragons Get Separation Anxiety?

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:12 am

Leave him out for 2 hrs --- let him run the room --LR etc---- that should get him tired - try that and see if that doesnt work --
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby Selkie1993 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:15 am

KarrieRee wrote:Leave him out for 2 hrs --- let him run the room --LR etc---- that should get him tired - try that and see if that doesnt work --
Karrie

Lol i've tried! All he wants to do is stare out the window. When he's really full of energy, I put him at the bottom of the stairs and let him climb/jump to tire out.

Can I leave him out longer even if he gets cold?
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster

Postby dragoncuddles » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:57 am

I would be sure to give lots of extra loves and attention during this time. When we had to move our cage for our guy he went from seeing us every day all day to only when we would go check on him or to get him out to spend time with him. At the start he would immediately climb up and cuddle into our neck and cuddle for long periods which was odd for him. Eventually he would get down and run around when he was ready. It took a bit but He eventually got back to his old self. I know the situation is different, but I think some extra loves couldn't hurt. I hope everything turns out alright and gets back to normal for ya!
Settle for their happiness, not others.
dragoncuddles
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Behavior