First dragon, first worry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have a bearded dragon, he is 14 months old (Had him for a month) and starting his first shed with us. He has been having diarrhea since yesterday but didn't seem to poo for 3 days before hand, he also hasn't been eating his greens, we have to trick him by holding the greens under squash. He has only pooped 2 times since his diarrhea started.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please go over the tank set up brand and bulb of UVB coil or tube? Where in the tank is it on top of screen or inside the tank? Basking temps and how are you taking them? No stick ons they are inaccurate--- what are you feeding for a staple feeder crickets etc?
Karrie

Hoffingtons

Original Poster
108456-1321595470.jpg

This is his set up, we do use stick ons but we are soon switching to lazer, he eats crickets and morio worms, the tank is wood and vivexotic.co.uk brand, we bought him with the tank, we also have a micro climate digital thermistat that we use for his light, not too sure on the uvb strip light brand as it came with the tank. His uva bulb is solar basking 100w wild re-creation

Hoffingtons

Original Poster
I've tried to feed him pak choi, collard/spring greens, broccoli, kale and he's turned his nose up to all of these, sometimes I give him raspberrys as a treat 1-2 times a week, when we got him he had red sand as a substrate, so I changed it to news paper to prevent impacting

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok we need to know what UVB your using- and is it in the tank or on top of screen -- you need to get a digital probe thermometer to get correct basking temps--- correct basking temps and proper UVB is the most crucial thing in the tank --- it controls the health of your dragon-- he needs a bigger tank he does not have much floor space and he needs better decor for basking - they like to climb on things and at this point he has nothing to climb on-- the diarrhea is coming from incorrect basking temps and my guess the UVB - UVB's need to be changed out every 6 months for a T 8 and once a year for a T 5- we wont be able to determine for sure till we know what your using and correct temps - temps should be 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe therm or infrared heat gun for proper digestion and the UVB helps in calcium absorption and prevention of MBD -- among other health issues -- we recommend a 75-120 gallon tank for a full size dragon - also its nice to offer a heat gradient for them to be able to pick where they want to sit for basking temps - a piece of decor like this would be good https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5290971 you can set this piece different ways - this is an example of what I am talking about
Karrie

Hoffingtons

Original Poster
108456-7519545783.jpg

He has this in his tank, my partner removed it to clean the tank out while I gave him a bath, he's just drying off and basking then it will go back in. Thanks for your help, we will get him a new uvb strip today, also me and my partners father are planing to build him a new tank

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Its possible he has parasites --- improper temps w/ UVB can cause parasites and crickets can cause them as well -- the lighting and basking temps correctly will keep them at bay - they all have a small amount its when they are over loaded w/ them that can cause issues but we need to determine first your lighting --- that is causing the diarrhea-- here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
What are you getting for a UVB? And where in the tank is it?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need to have proper placement for the UVB or it does not do any good --- that is why I am asking about the bulb--- please do not replace w/ a coil they are not good
Karrie

Hoffingtons

Original Poster
108456-8379975510.jpg

Uvb is at the top and covers the entire with of the tank. Not too sure on the branding of what we are going to buy, do you have any suggestions?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok first of all you need to get a fixture w/ a reflector --- right now its doing no good - I would get a 24" fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 bulb T 5 or Arcadia 12% bulb they are the best on the market -- and right now I am not sure you can find them -- you might be able over where you are but in the states they are sold out everywhere for the Arcadias -- you might have better luck than us at this time -- but I would get that changed out - when you do you have the option of putting it inside the tank approx 12-15 inches from basking decor -- or on top of screen if you have one I cant see it and basking decor piece would need to be approx 8-10 inches -- I am posting a pic of one of my tanks so you can see what

Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your dragon needs a hide -- he has no hide
97951-8462642594.jpg
There are two hides in this tank the rock has a hide
Karrie

Hoffingtons

Original Poster
Update: He has a new uvb strip and a log hide. He seems healthy, happy and yellow running about exploring nothing out of the norm. Willl keep posting about how he's getting along.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sounds good-- what did you get for a UVB? Dragons will hide their illness- they will hide it till they can no longer it can come on very sudden- just FYI
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom