MBD Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, how long have you had her in total ? Problems with adult beardies can be difficult to diagnose but with your Vivi at least she has a decent amount of weight on her. Is she able to walk around without difficulty ? If so she may have a slight calcium deficiency but not actual MBD. Even if she DID hhave it, it wouldn't necessarily cause her to totally lose her appetite for 6 months. They can regain their appetite at any time. Can you get her out in the sun [ not in the glass tank ] Just set in the grass with her for 1/2 hour or so a few times a week if you can. If you do get a chance to get a fecal test done that would be good too.

MerasMama

Original Poster
Yes, she moves from her basking spot to her hide without difficulty. She really doesn't run around anymore when we take her out of her tank, but I'm guessing that has more to do with her lack of energy because she isn't eating enough. I took her outside yesterday. She seems to get really stressed and turns dark when she's outside. We got her at the beginning of November last year, so 6 months.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah so she doesn't really have MBD that has caused any bone deformity or problem with mobility so that's good. And it's O.K. that she's a bit stressed outside, it's just a short part of her day and the sun can boost her immune system so the benefit outweighs any negative. If your yard is not chemically treated and you have yelllow dandelions offer her one. Just a small/medium. If it's huge tear it in half [ easier to swallow because the petals stick too the roof of their mouth, my beardie loves them.

MerasMama

Original Poster
Yeah we don't treat our backyard, I don't want my pup around the chemicals. Vivi is the strangest beardie, I've offerred her dandelions several times and she either bites it then spits it out or ignores it. She's been a picky eater since we got her. She also doesn't like strawberries and refuses to try bananas. The only treat food she enjoys is blueberries and she won't even eat those right now. I'll try taking her outside daily and see if that helps, Thank you for the help!

MerasMama

Original Poster
Update:
Took a stool sample and she's negative for parasites.

She still isn't doing anything, she's on her hammock 24/7. She will move herself around on her hammock in and out of her basking spot. She still has zero appetite. I've been taking her outside daily for uvb in addition to what she already has. 3 days ago, her left eye started swelling and she will hardly open it. It almost appears like she has her actual eyeball pulled deeper into her eye socket or something. And the area around that eye is greyish, almost like its going to shed. And its watering periodically. Although the only thing she has eaten in a month is baby food, which is like half water, I'm starting to wonder if she's dehydrated, so I've been force "feeding" her water.

This entire ordeal, she's never had a black beard if that means anything.

She does open her eyes and look around while she's outside.

I don't know what else to do here. Honestly I was hoping she had parasites, atleast that would explain some of this. But now that I know she's negative, I have no idea. I don't know how long I should continue the force feeding and liquid calcium until I take her back to the vet and start having bloodwork or other tests done. I just find it hard to believe that the only thing wrong with her is MBD/calcium deficiecy.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would say it's back to the vet- as soon as you can get her in- when you get the blood work get copies so Tracie can weigh in
Karrie

MerasMama

Original Poster
Called the vet, they can get her in tomorrow. It takes 3-5 days to get results.

I also wanted to ask, I went ahead and bought her a T5 HO lamp and bulb, and swapped the T8 for it today. I have the T5 on top of the screen, but it's only half that actually has screen under it, the other half is just open. How far away should she be?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If the part that has no screen 12-15 inches the part that has screen 8-10 inches -- the screen blocks 30%
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom