Mario's Super World

This forum is specifically for people who want to share day-to-day stories about their beardies... the weird or fun stuff. This is not a forum for seeking help, but more just for sharing the cuteness that is your beardie.

Re: Mario's Super World

Postby MariosDad » Mon May 18, 2020 7:53 pm

It's been a couple weeks, but Mario is growing!

He is 12g, 7.5 inches long, and about 16 weeks, if we figure he was 4 weeks when we got him. He's gained 2.5 inches and doubled in weight!

Can we talk about shed? IT'S CRAZY!! One time I walked by and thought his whole knee had exploded! He moved before I could snap picture, but my wife got this one:
[Click image to enlarge]

He loves his dubias and BSFL. Might start experimenting with other feeders soon. He likes most greens, especially kale and collards. The kids have been giving him dandelions and he gets squash every day, sometimes carrots. My daughter is currently frustrated because Mario will take a BSFL from my wife, but not her! :lol:

A while ago I was wondering when he would start eating more, and boy-oh-boy! He sure is scarfing bugs now! A few weeks ago he was eating 40-60 bugs a week. The last few weeks he has eaten over 100 bugs a week! Really glad I got that roach colony started...

He still sleeps funky, too! Can you spot the Mario?
[Click image to enlarge]

-Ian
Mario's Dad- 3 kids, 1 NEW puppy (Ember), 2 barn cats, 6 chickens, and a beardie named Mario!
MariosDad
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby KarrieRee » Tue May 19, 2020 5:24 am

It seems like Mario has been so little forever!!! :) But he is definitely growing---- and it wont be long and he WILL not be able to sleep in that plant!! :lol:
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby MariosDad » Tue May 19, 2020 7:03 am

KarrieRee wrote:It seems like Mario has been so little forever!!! :) But he is definitely growing---- and it wont be long and he WILL not be able to sleep in that plant!! :lol:
Karrie

No kidding! I’ve started wondering if he was actually a lot younger when we got him.
Mario's Dad- 3 kids, 1 NEW puppy (Ember), 2 barn cats, 6 chickens, and a beardie named Mario!
MariosDad
Hatchling Poster

Postby WinFam01 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:12 am

Love the Mario in the plant pic. 😁
---
Tish

3 human kids, 1 furkid, and 1 repchild - Bored at home, nah!
WinFam01
Juvie Poster

First Time Out

Postby MariosDad » Fri May 29, 2020 3:21 pm

Well, Mario gained 4g in one week! :shock:

He also had his first foray into the outside!
[Click image to enlarge]

I think we absolutely freaked his bean! He went perfectly still, eyes wide as dinner plates! When he finally looked around, the giant light bulb in the sky captured his attention for a solid 20 minutes. Look at the intensity of that stare!
[Click image to enlarge]

The funny thing is, he's still so small that the grass buoyed him up! My daughter picked him up and put him down in it to see if he would move at all...but he looked like a toddler dropped into a ball pit!

Of course I read about putting his outdoor enclosure near the door to let him acclimate to the wide world for a few days after I just plopped him in the middle of the yard. :roll: Oh well. We may have accidentally exploded is brain and his conception of reality, but it happens to us all eventually! :lol:

-Ian
MariosDad
Hatchling Poster

Postby WinFam01 » Fri May 29, 2020 4:58 pm

😆
---
Tish

3 human kids, 1 furkid, and 1 repchild - Bored at home, nah!
WinFam01
Juvie Poster

Postby DragonPete » Sun May 31, 2020 1:13 pm

I don't see no blackbeard or darkness so apparently it didn't stress him with his new adventure. 👍 I'm sure he'll adjust quickly, seems like they usually do. Can't believe how much he's grown. Adorable! ❤
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby LuaBlua » Sun May 31, 2020 3:22 pm

Mario is absolutely adorable. I'm slightly obsessed, he's really living the life. :lol:
LuaBlua
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby MariosDad » Sun May 31, 2020 8:07 pm

LuaBlua wrote:Mario is absolutely adorable. I'm slightly obsessed, he's really living the life. :lol:

Thanks. We're obsessed, too! :D
MariosDad
Hatchling Poster

Postby MariosDad » Sun May 31, 2020 8:15 pm

DragonPete wrote:I don't see no blackbeard or darkness so apparently it didn't stress him with his new adventure. 👍 I'm sure he'll adjust quickly, seems like they usually do. Can't believe how much he's grown. Adorable! ❤
-Dee

He had another trip out yesterday and started exploring a bit. I think he'll really enjoy it eventually. And you're right, he's growing like a monster! We treated him with some meal worms this week and boy-oh-boy! :shock: I can see why people call them beardie candy! He was like a baby eating their first cake! Forgot to weigh him this weekend with everything going on... but I'll get around to it this week someday after work. He looks bigger every day...I wouldn't be surprised if he went from 16g to 20g this week...

-Ian
MariosDad
Hatchling Poster

Postby SHBailey » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:56 am

You're lucky that Mario's eating his veggies already. Not all beardies are so good at eating greens, especially when they're still young, and some adults too, even though they're supposed to eat more veggies than bugs when they get older. BTW, collards are better than kale for beardies.

Our beardie doesn't go outside because the temperature here is rarely warm enough to take a reptile out, even in the summer. So the few times we did take him out, he got stressed out and turned all black -- it was just too much for him. Mario is lucky that he can go outside. I suppose he'll get used to it, but when he does, just be careful that he doesn't run off. Beardies don't usually run faster than you can catch them as long as you can keep track of them, but they can sneak away if you don't keep an eye on them.

Cute little guy -- nice color and markings.:love10:
SHBailey
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby MariosDad » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:35 pm

SHBailey wrote:Cute little guy -- nice color and markings.:love10:

Thank you!

I got lucky and guessed correctly about Mario's weight! He is now about 4 months, 8 inches, and 20 grams.

He has taken to sleeping up in his tall bush for the last 3 nights in a row. Same spot, same position. :D
MariosDad
Hatchling Poster

Postby SHBailey » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:35 am

BTW, one of our reptile vets compares mealworms to potato chips -- not really nutritious, but it won't kill them. They make good salad croutons.

Glad to hear that he's growing nicely. :)
SHBailey
Gray-bearded Poster

Mario's Super World Pics and Charts!

Postby MariosDad » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:31 pm

[Click image to enlarge]

Mario is becoming a chonky boy! He is loving going outside, and we even have an indoor area for him when my daughter cleans his enclosure!
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

He is eating a lot of BSFL and dubia roaches, with the occasional mealworm for a treat! He keeps eating his salad, too. Don't know how we lucked out with that! I have some videos on IG of him munching. I also got a WYZE camera for $24 (Thanks for the idea, DorgEndo!) and put it in his enclosure. It's so much fun to watch him when he thinks nobody is looking!
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

He is 27 grams, or more likely over 30 now, and coming up on 9 inches! Bug munching is getting crazy, as you can see in the chart. As you can tell, I've given up on keeping perfect records! :lol:
he poops almost everyday, and has started hangin out with us a lot more. No more running away when we go to grab him, either!
[Click image to enlarge]

-Ian
MariosDad
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:50 pm

What a cutie pie!
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

PreviousNext

Return to Beardie Tales