Dimmable heat bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardeddragonDino

Hatchling Member
I just got a new 5x2x2 tank for my bearded dragon that is made of pvc, and I purchased a 50 watt halogen for it. However, I could only get the basking spot to 90 degrees, so I’m thinking I need to buy a different bulb. It needs to be dimmable so I can hook it up to the thermostat, but I’m having trouble finding one that is specifically said to be dimmable. Any suggestions?

Draven88

Hatchling Member
I am actually surprised that you aren't hitting temperatures with that bulb. In my 4x2x2 enclosures I am using a 40 watt halogen flood that puts the basking spot at about 107 with a falling of gradient as you move away from the center. If you could post some pics of the setup it may make suggestions easier.

Here is a larger halogen that states its dimmable, but i have no experience with the bulb to say if its ideal.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Halo...ture_three_browse-bin:3594187011&s=hi&sr=1-60

BeardeddragonDino

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Draven88":1pm7lrx6 said:
I am actually surprised that you aren't hitting temperatures with that bulb. In my 4x2x2 enclosures I am using a 40 watt halogen flood that puts the basking spot at about 107 with a falling of gradient as you move away from the center. If you could post some pics of the setup it may make suggestions easier.

Here is a larger halogen that states its dimmable, but i have no experience with the bulb to say if its ideal.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Halo...ture_three_browse-bin:3594187011&s=hi&sr=1-60

The bulb I got is made by Arcadia, do you use one specifically made for reptiles or not?

Draven88

Hatchling Member
For a basking light I just use a indoor/outdoor halogen 38 watt floodlight made by GE. You want to avoid any that are colored, there are some that are blue tinted that look brighter to us but had the opposite effect for a beardie. Just the plain white light ones work well. Unless you are going for something like an MVB it doesn't have to be branded for reptiles, just in a good visible light spectrum and capable of maintaining the right basking temps.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How far is your bulb from the basking surface? I've had good luck using GE 80w PAR38 halogen flood lights. They are dimmable and I use them with a thermostat. That wattage needed really does vary between enclosures quite a bit so it takes some trial and error at first. Once you find something that works with your setup I'd pick up a bunch of them to have on hand because once set it should continue working well for you. I've been testing some photography halogens which dim well but are inconsistent with output and quality and require a good wide dome fixture. Verdict pending on those.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I use dimmer switches on all my heat lamps, but they don't work with the UV tubes. My heat lamps are just plain old 100 Watt (or lower, for the cool end) incandescent light bulbs with domed shaped reflectors clamped on to a light rack that my husband built, and I turn the dimmer switches up and down to get the desired temperature. This probably wouldn't work with a thermostat though -- I suppose they have the dimmer switch built in. I have to be the human thermostat with my setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom