Old shedding that hasn't come off! PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE: She is healthy and fine now! The honey and bathing worked amazing! thank you all so much (11/29/2020)

So I have posted about this before, and I honestly thought that it was just going to come off during the next shedding. She hasn't shed since then though, which was January! She's done small sheddings (i.e. her head or parts of her tail.) but not on her belly or back. She is also getting very lethargic and slow, she doesn't really eat a lot and sleeps all the time. :( I took her out today and noticed redness around her belly. She is a little overweight, I have been trying to get her to lose weight but she's an old lady and is VERY stubborn. So whenever she walks, her claws hook into her side, at first I just thought it was y'know her trying to get that old shedding off, but now it's super red and I can see scarring, it's starting to scare me.It looks like dried blood. Does anyone know what do to? PLEASE HELP! I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO! :cry: :(
(some of the red spots are her food because she likes to lay in it)

Dragon info:
Shes 9 years old
75 gallon tank
crickets, worms, and pellets.
she has a basking light
a cooling area
IMG_0841.JPG
IMG_0840.JPG

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

That area looks to be becoming infected if it isn't already. Pair that with the lethargy and you could have a potential serious issue on your hands. I would definitely get her into the vet. It might have started off as a stubborn patch of shed, but right now it's an open wound with the potential for infection if not infected already.

You can use some raw unpasteurized honey on the wound, it will help disinfect and keep the wound clean, but you should get her seen at a reptile vet.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I was typing the same time as Brandon, get some raw unpasteurized honey to put on the entire area. First check her tank everywhere to be sure there are no crickets hiding in any decor, loose crickets will bite at any wound but especially with honey on it. Soak her every other day in warm water with or without some betadine [ betadine is an antiseptic + will help the wound ] after a 10 minute soak pat her dry and apply more honey. Can you also post a full body pic of her and a pic of her tank ? And what type of uvb do you have ?

RangoTheBeardie2010

Original Poster
AHBD":7o6q9ca4 said:
Hi there, I was typing the same time as Brandon, get some raw unpasteurized honey to put on the entire area. First check her tank everywhere to be sure there are no crickets hiding in any decor, loose crickets will bite at any wound but especially with honey on it. Soak her every other day in warm water with or without some betadine [ betadine is an antiseptic + will help the wound ] after a 10 minute soak pat her dry and apply more honey. Can you also post a full body pic of her and a pic of her tank ? And what type of uvb do you have ?
My parents bought everything for me about 4 years ago, so I am honestly unsure - I've been meaning to do some tank updates! Cleaning day is coming up in a couple days. The nearest vet to me is Paws and Claws.
IMG_0842.JPG

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, she is a heavy girl, your tank is very clean though so that's good. What type of flooring is that ? And please show the bulbs you're using, it's extremely important.

RangoTheBeardie2010

Original Poster
AHBD":yhpipujp said:
Wow, she is a heavy girl, your tank is very clean though so that's good. What type of flooring is that ? And please show the bulbs you're using, it's extremely important.
Yeah, she is quite large, for a while now I've been trying to get her to lose weight, shes dropped a little but not enough. I'm unsure what the mat is, they bought it at PetSmart. I'm sorry I'm not making this easy. My sister contacted a vet friend since she lives nearby.
This is the light I use:
IMG_0843.JPG

I looked around the house and found honey, but it doesnt day if its unpasturized. It is just straight honey, nothing else in it, here is a pic:
IMG_0844.JPG

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That honey is probably pure but unless it says raw + unpasteurized then it's not. You want the raw unpasteurized, you can get a small bottle at any health food store.

And you have a basking light but no uvb. You need a uvb ASAP, otherwise she can't metabolize any calcium and that will make her sick + cause her to be lethargic. You'll need a long tube uvb like Reptisun 10.0 t5. You can take her out in the sun for now to get uvb, sit in the grass with her but be sure no insects get at her sore spot.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Make sure you get a fixture 24" if you can find one w/a reflector
Karrie

RangoTheBeardie2010

Original Poster
AHBD":13pfs6ql said:
That honey is probably pure but unless it says raw + unpasteurized then it's not. You want the raw unpasteurized, you can get a small bottle at any health food store.

And you have a basking light but no uvb. You need a uvb ASAP, otherwise she can't metabolize any calcium and that will make her sick + cause her to be lethargic. You'll need a long tube uvb like Reptisun 10.0 t5. You can take her out in the sun for now to get uvb, sit in the grass with her but be sure no insects get at her sore spot.

Thank you so so much!! :D I bought honey and a uvb light, I will take her outside and in a safe area! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom