Short attention span?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
I’ve noticed that from the day I got her back in March, whenever I feed Mari, after a few bites she gets distracted and looks at whatever is distracting her for like 20 seconds before finally returning to her food again. ? as someone with ADHD, I can honestly relate to her, but I was wondering if anyone else has observed quirks like this in their beardies? I just leave a bowl of BSFL and salad for her because she takes forever to tong feed if she sees the little digital hygrometer number change or if someone in my house makes noise. She also likes to daydream and just stares blankly into space for a few seconds before she resumes eating. She comes from a well reputed breeder and she’s my only reptile, so she shouldn’t have ADV or anything like that. She has the 10.0 T8 reptisun mounted under the screen (my enclosure has a tented roof because I built it myself) 8-10 inches from her basking spot, and she has a bright white basking bulb over her basking spot that heats the basking spot to 108 degrees F. She’s basically 6 months old (she’s a day shy of it, but close enough) and her cool side is at 78 degrees.
Ps. I very lightly supplement calcium with D3 and vitamins daily as opposed to giving larger doses every few days. I wish I had a more accurate way to dose her supplements because a tiny pinch until her food has a super light dusting doesn’t seem precise and I don’t want to give her too much or too little.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The BSFL are high in calcium so I am sure shes getting enough--- I would add more insects to her diet- like dubia roaches- you can alternate them and then you would need to dust the roaches -- it would be easier to dust them rather than the food unless your adding the BSFL on top of her salads-- and then she would be getting nutrients as well -- adding worms to her diet would be good like super worms or silk worms they are another staple insect -- butter worms are good but everyone is out now and horn worms are good - they are a hydrating worm and grow very quickly
Karrie

Draven88

Hatchling Member
Every beardie has its own personality an will be different in their own way. I have six and no two act the same. One will go to town on salad/food in general as soon as I put it in, others will be the same with their favorite bugs but just ignore their salad until they decide its time or take their time on insects that aren't their favorite. One of which usually picks the moment he feels no one is looking at him anymore. They all are curious in their own way, so being distracted my anything moving or sounds isn't surprising at all.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I also think that beardies are capable of being healthy on a wide variety of different diets since they are omnivores. The books say that baby beardies should get most of their nourishment from protein and adults should be getting about 80% from veggies, but most beardies didn't read the books. I've heard of beardies that like mostly greens, and more often of adult beardies that would rather eat bugs than veggies, and all different kinds of bugs and fruits and veggies as well.

For example, ours rarely eats greens but loves his crickets and roaches and just about any kind of worms. At least he likes squash. But he's reasonably healthy, especially since he has adenovirus.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Ours is almost 6 months and is kind of the same way, so I wonder if it's an age thing?
I also think with ours that she needs a bit for her food to go "down", so that's why she sometimes pauses.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
So a short pause for chewing and swallowing would be normal, but a longer pause and lack of further interest could mean that they're full or just not hungry anymore for the time being. As long as they're getting adequate nourishment and not losing weight, probably nothing to worry about.

Some beardies do a better job of chewing their food than others, too. Ours, not so much. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom