Phoenix and the fish tank...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently, I made a community guppy tank with guppies and a (docile) Betta fish. The tank is in my closet where I keep my geckos and other Betta, however this tank is right next to Phoenix's tank. Ever since I got the fish tank she will sit at the end of her tank and watch the fish.... here's some photos of the events of little Phoenix interacting with it.

View media item 61074Phoenix avidly watches the tank In curiosity, What could this be? She wonders.
View media item 61121I let Phoenix get a bit closer. She watches all the moving fish in awe.
View media item 61153My Betta fish, Hades, comes closer to inspect Phoenix. Phoenix doesn't know what to think of the colorful fish.
View media item 60702she decides she want to try and get closer to him, by surfing along the glass.
View media item 61032Hades decides to hide behind the heater. Might as well be warm AND safe.
View media item 60639View media item 61151Phoenix continues surfing the glasss like a lunatic and trying to eat these colorful things guarded by this odd invisible force field.
View media item 61121 Phoenix finally calms down and continues watching the fish.

View media item 60900View media item 61036 Hades decides to come out from hiding and display his beautiful fins for a bit. (Seriously I'm in love with his colors and fins).

And then Phoenix returns back to her tank.

(No beardies or fish were harmed in the making of this.)

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Lol! Yeah pretty much. :)

And thank you! I adore their colors and patterns too. :D

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
HA that's great! I love when beardies get that curious head tilt. Too funny.

Although I have a thing against guppies now lol. When I first got my fish tank, the shop recommended a few guppies to help make sure the tank was fully cycled before I got the fish I actually wanted. Guppies were not on that list.

It was a decent sized tank so I brought home like 6 guppies. Well, they started breeding and before you knew it I had too many guppies, and could barely fit the fish I wanted in my tank. And the Guppies just wouldn't stop lol. But, I didn't want to kill them and the fish store basically said they wouldn't actually keep them if I gave them my guppies. So I was forced into keeping a guppy tank and never got the fish I wanted... LOL.

-Brandon

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
claudiusx":19y54naz said:
HA that's great! I love when beardies get that curious head tilt. Too funny.

Although I have a thing against guppies now lol. When I first got my fish tank, the shop recommended a few guppies to help make sure the tank was fully cycled before I got the fish I actually wanted. Guppies were not on that list.

It was a decent sized tank so I brought home like 6 guppies. Well, they started breeding and before you knew it I had too many guppies, and could barely fit the fish I wanted in my tank. And the Guppies just wouldn't stop lol. But, I didn't want to kill them and the fish store basically said they wouldn't actually keep them if I gave them my guppies. So I was forced into keeping a guppy tank and never got the fish I wanted... LOL.

-Brandon
Yeah I love the head tilt too, It's so adorable.

Lol wow, thankfully I haven't encountered any breeding or fry yet, seeing as I've only had these fish for a day.

Except for one guppy, who was of the original 5 I purchased from the store who did not get ich and fungus a few days after (petco said the tank I bought them from had started showing signs of ich later the day I bought those fish). That one guppy was the only one of two I bought from petsmart. The other one unfortunately also got sick but pulled through... only to be eaten by the water pump a few days later. (BIIG rookie mistake of putting that in, its removed now however. :( )

so 7 of them I've had for one day, and one I've had for about 2-3 weeks. I made some newbie mistakes which I regret, but I'm doing more research and have high hopes for this crew. :)

But in the events that my guppies do in fact start becoming the rabbits of the sea, Which I already suspect 3 of the females I bought to already be pregnant. I have a tall 20-30 gallon bowfront aquarium I have in the garage that I could use in case I start getting overrun with guppies. Hopefully I won't need to do that because I'd really love to maybe try doing a betta sorority or keeping some angelfish in there. Who knows lol. It's part of the fun of fish keeping. :D

beckys19

Check to see if there is an aquarium club near where you live, they usually have an auction or 2 a year where you can unload your unwanted stock. And pick up some you are looking for, and even some cool ones you weren't, lol.... for future reference, zebra dianos are nice ones to cycle a tank. They're not colorful but relatively hearty and don't breed le crazy.

AbigailMcLeans

Your fish has an incredible color scheme, to be honest. I immediately remembered my goldfish that shimmered in the sun. Unfortunately, two years ago, I didn't look after her and my cat was able to deal with her. But after this incident, my friend recommended me an excellent arcreef that explained to me all the secrets of caring for fish. Now I have bought a closed aquarium and the cat will not be able to get close and catch my new fish, which are a bit like yours. I think if you are interested in additional tips, you can look in this guide

LuaBlua

Wow!!
Both Phoenix and your Betta are beautiful :D It's so cute watching them watch something intently.
Such an adorable dynamic :lol:

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Yes -- too cute, and so colorful too. :D :lol:

My only experience with fish keeping was when our baby cornsnake wouldn't eat, and my husband got the bright idea to try him on fish, so he brought home a little tetra when I wasn't looking. The first attempt to feed it to the snake didn't work (of course), so we got a little 1 gallon aquarium and set it up next to the snake's terrarium. "Now we have a fish," I thought, and I had dark fantasies about ending up with a whole menagerie of tiny little live animals that the snake wouldn't eat. Then the second attempt to feed the fish to the snake was too much for the fish, who went belly up by the end of the day. :( Fortunately, the snake took a pinkie mouse not too much later, survived our inexperience, and lived for 15 years after that. And thus ended our brief experience with fish keeping, followed by a long and happy relationship with a sweet little snake.

Now our only critter is the bearded dragon, and he and his little entourage of live bugs are about all we can handle.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
OP, if you're still around, that is adorable!

? "...and his little entourage of live bugs". Isn't that the truth! I thought we were getting one single pet and not containers of them.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
And cleaning up after crickets can be almost a full time job. My husband walks by the container and says, "You guys are slobs!" :lol:

The fish tank that Phoenix is so fascinated with looks clean and bright, but I'll bet it takes some work to keep it that way.

adambeck

Hatchling Member
Hades looks so beautiful! And I love that Phoenix is a such a curious little fellow. Fifa (our beared dragon) and I say hi! :D

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
And hello to Phoenix and Fifa from Puff and me. :D

Puff is getting older and not as curious as he used to be, so I don't know how he'd react to a fish tank, if at all. He does sometimes show some interest in the "ghost dragon in the glass" (his reflection). :wink:

saraho

Hatchling Member
Charlie might like a fish tank to watch. He stares out the window most of the time. I might have to move the terrarium soon though, the windows make it hard to maintain temps. I think I could keep a little beta alive. My mom always had fish when I was growing up and I've had a few as an adult. The last one was 20 years ago. The cat ate him. I know Charlie would have much better manners and just make friends with a fishy.

Phoenix and Hades are both gorgeous, BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom