Size vs age vs diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chumon

Beardie name(s)
Scooter
Hello all, I return to you now a couple months later and my Scooter has grown so much. I cant believe how beautiful his colors are turning out!

At this point I've been looking around for ways to tell a beardies age, I found a page that had a chart for size to reference it and they said they grow about an inch a week until they are adults. Is this accurate? Do any of you have a better way to tell age? And to tie this into my actual question, how much protein should I be feeding him at what ages? I've been giving him around 10 to 20 crickets and calciworms a day since I got him and now hes around a foot long including tail. Should I slow down his bugs yet? Or should I wait until hes fully grown to do that? He also enjoys his salad but definitely not as much as he probably will later.

Thanks a ton guys!

Draven88

Hatchling Member
Unfortunately there is no perfect growth rate to use for age as some will grow faster than others. From my experience their growth (as far as length) is very fast as babies will will taper off in time and go more towards putting on weight.

There is a rough guide at http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon.php if you scroll down for length to age expected, but as you can see they are ranges and 12 inches fits with in 4 5 and 6 months there.

chumon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scooter
Draven88":1urh54gg said:
Unfortunately there is no perfect growth rate to use for age as some will grow faster than others. From my experience their growth (as far as length) is very fast as babies will will taper off in time and go more towards putting on weight.

There is a rough guide at http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon.php if you scroll down for length to age expected, but as you can see they are ranges and 12 inches fits with in 4 5 and 6 months there.
Ahh I see. Thank you so much. How much in the way of insects should I give him once he starts putting on weight? I see a lot of different opinions on this. Also I still dont actually know if it is a he really.

Draven88

Hatchling Member
At an age rang of 4-6 months, from my personal experience that size is closer to 4 months that definitely still need the protein and calcium to grow. With that being said I think your ok on your insects that you mentioned as long as there is good growth and weight gain. The trick is trying to get them to eat a good amount of salad. I personally will do salad first thing as I would say most here agree with. Maybe a few of the phoenix worms/calciworms in there for the movement to entice eating. Then the bigger feeding of insects later, if they get insects first they will fill up and not want to eat the salad when young (there are exceptions of course tat will eat both well from the start).

chumon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scooter
Draven88":2snphy82 said:
At an age rang of 4-6 months, from my personal experience that size is closer to 4 months that definitely still need the protein and calcium to grow. With that being said I think your ok on your insects that you mentioned as long as there is good growth and weight gain. The trick is trying to get them to eat a good amount of salad. I personally will do salad first thing as I would say most here agree with. Maybe a few of the phoenix worms/calciworms in there for the movement to entice eating. Then the bigger feeding of insects later, if they get insects first they will fill up and not want to eat the salad when young (there are exceptions of course tat will eat both well from the start).
Okay thank you so much. He definitely likes his salad but sometimes more than others. The other day I had to take out his tree because he started eating the fake leaves! ? luckily he didnt seem to get blocked up by it so I think he passed it. But I gave him some cilantro after I took out the tree and he ate a bunch of it. I guess it's a mood thing. I'll definitely try the worms in the salad too. I think he will really like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom