Bearded Dragon hates being inside now. What can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbkomi

Hello,
So I've had my bearded dragon for about 1.5 years (he's about 3 now). I bought him from a previous owner, that from my understanding raised him completely indoors. After I received him, I lived in an apartment that had a balcony, although it only received a few hours of direct sunlight in the afternoon he still preferred being on the balcony in his enclosure. I'd also take him with me anytime I traveled to my girlfriends and would leave him in an outside enclosure where he could get as much sun as he wanted. I no longer live at the same apartment with the balcony, and unfortunately am not able to see my girlfriend anymore.

I now live in a different apartment building (no balcony), but have his enclosure (36 x 18 x 18) by the window so he can still have a view of the outside. However, the sun rises on my side of the building and by late morning is no longer visible (this is when he starts becoming visibly stressed). I have all the proper equipment, lighting (22" 12% Arcadia Pro T5 bulb and fixture mounted inside, 50w Arcadia Halogen Heat Lamp, and I have an order on the way for supplemental 50w Arcadia Deep Heat Projector, and a 22" Arcadia T8 Natural Sunlight bulb to put in a Reptisun 24" T8 hood), temperatures, and terrarium décor but he's still unsatisfied with the unnatural light environment and glass surfs for 6-8 hours a day now.

I can maybe start by taking him outside for 15-30min a day, and see if that helps. But this is a problem that's causing me a lot of stress, and even probably more for him.
Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He may like the natural light or it could be the excitement of the surroundings outside that he likes. You might try setting up a basking lamp for him in a room and let him roam freely if it's safe to do so. They often like sitting in the window sill too. I have a small dog bed set up in my window sill for my guy to spend time on looking outside and he enjoys it.

Draven88

Hatchling Member
How long has it been since you moved? Even though you may have the same tank setup the surroundings are different and still could cause some relocation stress which should fade away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom