Worried, mushu having a hard time with shed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really know where to start with all this but my 18 month beardie mushu has been having a really rough time and I think it's because of shedding but im not positive. It started when i noticed his eyes watering. Sometimes i will wake up and he can't open his eyes because they are crusted shut I've been helping him with this by using reptile eye drops and saline eye wash. Then he slowly started eating less and less and now he wont eat at all. I have been having to pain stakingly hand feed him, i have also been giving him zilla appetite stimulant for a few days but he still refuses all food. I believe the cause of this is that his head is about to shed, at least his nose he has had a hard time breathing and his nostrils look like they will shed soon. He has also been rubbing his face on his rocks a lot which confirms He is about to shed He really isn't showing any signs of any sickness or infection other than waterey eyes, gaping and not eating. His poop is normal and his eyes and mouth dont look swollen or anything. But he's still really struggling. Fortunatley since I have been giving him the appetite stimulant he seems to be doing slightly better moving around his cage and stuff because before that he was eating nothing at all. And now he's at least getting calories from the supplement . I have a 40 gallon tank with a reptile carpet and a sandbox for him. He had some plastic plants ans plenty of rocks to rub his face on. I have a long uvb light (v8 I think?) attached to his tank lid . it is around 105° in his basking spot and around 90ish in the cool side. I mainly feed him crickets, dandelions, zucchini and sometimes blueberries. I have been giving him baths very often but other than that what can i do. I have no money for a vet. There is only one by me and it's extremley expensive. Any advice would be appreciated

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
101532-7667176947.jpg
AHBD":3s6okg0j said:
Hi there, is it possible that he's kicked up some sand in to his eyes ? BTW, the cool side is too hot, drop it down to 75-80. Post a few pics of his tank and of his body + eyes as well, here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them
As far as I can tell there is no sand in his eyes but his nose is clogged which I think is making his eyes have problems
XIMG]

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He's a real cutie, very pretty dragon. :) I just realized that you said his cool side is around 90. That's too hot, get it down to 75-80. And check to see what exact uvb bulb you have, that's extremely important because that can affect his eyes.

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
AHBD":2yyazz8u said:
He's a real cutie, very pretty dragon. :) I just realized that you said his cool side is around 90. That's too hot, get it down to 75-80. And check to see what exact uvb bulb you have, that's extremely important because that can affect his eyes.
The uvb is a t8 and i got the temp on the cool side down to about 80

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon's eye looking today?
We do need to know what brand oftube T8 UVB light you are using because some of them do
tend to cause eye issues. He is a nice looking dragon!
As far as the tube bulb placement goes, I would mount it directly overhead so that it shines
directly down onto him instead of into his eye. It looks like it is mounted on the back wall,
is that correct?

Tracie

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
Drache613":20vf8o2j said:
Hello,

How is your dragon's eye looking today?
We do need to know what brand oftube T8 UVB light you are using because some of them do
tend to cause eye issues. He is a nice looking dragon!
As far as the tube bulb placement goes, I would mount it directly overhead so that it shines
directly down onto him instead of into his eye. It looks like it is mounted on the back wall,
is that correct?

Tracie
I don't know for sure the brand i think it's GE and it is attached to the lid of his cage. His eye is pretty much the same but his eyes were not completley crusted shut this morning. The skin on his face seems to be loosening a bit but is still a way from coming off

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
GE doesn't make reptile uvb bulbs, can you actually have a look at it ? And good to hear that his eyes are opening a bit. :)

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
AHBD":vgdweg5c said:
GE doesn't make reptile uvb bulbs, can you actually have a look at it ? And good to hear that his eyes are opening a bit. :)
It's a uvb bulb but it's not reptile spesific does that matter the only reptile specific bulb I have is a coil one

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Have you had those bulbs all the time you've had Mushu ? And which coil uvb do you have ? Those bulbs could definitely be the problem.

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
AHBD":1hjqj4lf said:
Have you had those bulbs all the time you've had Mushu ? And which coil uvb do you have ? Those bulbs could definitely be the problem.
the coil uvb is this but i switched because i was told it could harm his eyes
101532-5490534017.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Mushu doing today?
That is good news he is starting to open his eyes more.
I would highly recommend changing the tube bulb to either the Reptisun 10 tube or the
Arcadia D3 12% tube. I agree, GE doesn't manufacture UVB tube bulbs, that I know of
either so he isn't really getting any UVB exposure right now, unless you are taking him
outdoors.

Tracie

Gingerofthenight

Original Poster
Drache613":3qsunzb3 said:
Hello,

How is Mushu doing today?
That is good news he is starting to open his eyes more.
I would highly recommend changing the tube bulb to either the Reptisun 10 tube or the
Arcadia D3 12% tube. I agree, GE doesn't manufacture UVB tube bulbs, that I know of
either so he isn't really getting any UVB exposure right now, unless you are taking him
outdoors.

Tracie
As of right now I can only afford coil bulbs is there any way I can use them without being harmful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom