3 week old beardy stopped eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
108397-3009315506.jpg
Hello,
I have had my new baby Fletcher for almost a week now and when we first brought him home he was a good little eater about 5 to 6 crickets per feeding and a bite or 2 of collard greens. But today he has no interest in eating whatsoever. Not the crickets, not small dubias and not any greens.
He pooped twice today and otherwise was fine getting on and off his basking log and running around his viv a few times and he let me hold him too.

I offered insects 3 times today with nothing. I also gave him a quick little bath as well.

Basking spot is around 108 to 110
Cool side is around 80
Uvb is a reptisun 10.0
I spray him with water one or 2 times daily
Humidity in tank is between 32 and 40
Reptile carpet at the bottom of viv.
I take the temps with a temp gun as well.
There is a metal type grate on the lid of the viv and the UVB light sits on top of this, could this be the issue? Does it need to be on the inside?

Not sure what's going on :(
108397-7979595158.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hes gonna go thru relocation stress --- so his eating will be off --- your UVB is it a T 5 or a T 8? The T 5's can sit on top of the screen but your basking decor should sit directly under it approx 8-10 inches from it - if its a T 8 it needs to go inside the tank and approx 8-10 inches from basking decor -- and there should be NO plastic cover over the bulb - it needs to be exposed -- I would lay off the baths and let him get used to his surroundings--- offer water by dropping water on his nose see if he will lick it off -- you can also give him hydration by washing his greens before serving but first we need to figure out why hes not eating - is he basking still?
Karrie

Mirandasue

Original Poster
108397-6856765589.jpg
Hello Karrie,
Yes he is still basking. It looks like the bulb is a t8. So this would need to go inside the tank then?
In this picture as you can see, he likes to bask pretty high so I'm not sure if the light fixture will fit inside. It already has the plastic cover off as well.
Should I maybe just get the T5 bulb so I can keep it on top? Please excuse the poo, I havent cleaned up yet this morning.
Also his poo was a little runny today. I am assuming cuz he wont eat and I gave him a few bites of sweet potato baby food yesterday.

Mirandasue

Original Poster
I am also thinking I might just go and get the T5 bulb today, so just to confirm, if I get the T5 bulb it CAN sit on top of the mesh lid? Thank you for your help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How long is your fixture -- the T 8 's and T 5's are different thickness bulbs --- T 5's are a thinner tube so I dont think a T 5 bulb will fit in the fixture you have --- and yes it needs to go inside the tank if its the T 8 --- you can hang the T 8 inside w/ these 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties-- fishing line --- shoe laces -- potted plant hangers and yes the T 5 can sit on top of the tank -- they are a stronger bulb - and basking decor would need to directly under it approx 8-10 inches from UVB
Karrie

Mirandasue

Original Poster
Okay so I may need to get a new fixture for the light then if I get a T5 bulb. Got it.

I got him to eat 1 cricket just a few minutes ago so that's good! He was not interested almost acted scared when I offered another one. I tried a dubia roach too and he was not having it.. I also offered collard green, banana and a small small raspberry piece that he tried and did not like.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeah we want him eating more than that but its good he did eat -- keep offering him food and get your UVB fixed --- see how it goes
Karrie

Mirandasue

Original Poster
He actually ate another cricket then my fiance gave him dubia a couple hours later and he ate 4 of those! So we are improving already! I will purchase the light and hopefully he is good to go after that!!

Mirandasue

Original Poster
I got the new light and fixture, it's now been set up for 3 hours and I just offered him dubia roaches and he ate 5 of them! So yay! Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Usually behavior change is pretty immediate-- what fixture and where is it?
Karrie

Mirandasue

Original Poster
I got the reptisun 10.0 uvb T5 and the zoo med fixture with a reflector to go with it. It is on the lid of the viv as I had the other wrong one before

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Good strong bulb have basking decor approx 8-10.inches directly under the UVB-- you should be good to go- keep us posted
Karrie

Mirandasue

Original Poster
Well it was a good eating day!
For breakfast we had 4 dubia roaches and 1 crickets.
Then lunch 3 or 4 crickets
And dinner 5 dubias and 3 crickets!

Still not interested in greens but he is just a baby so to be expected.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She needs to be eating her salads - I recommend getting some BSFL right away and start adding them to the top of her salads-- this is how they get their main water water source so to speak - since most wont drink from a bowl etc... you can also try some small horn worms and small super worms - you can get those from here http://www.reptilesplus.com BSFL are also known as nutri grubs phoenix worms and calci worms - you will need a glass bowl or ceramic so the worms cannot get out and you can use the dubias as well -- do not dust the BSFL and I would maybe start w/ medium size she may be able to eat large ones because the are really small --- you can also get BSFL from here http://www.symtonbsf.com silk worms as well -- you can get them from here http://www.reptilianarts.com they are another great staple worm they will come small if your order in bulk like 50 just make sure you get food as well to feed them and clean containers out as well -- but she really needs to be eating salads now http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its food to feeds as a staple feeder-- use those worms to lure her to the salad bowl - you can use as many of the BSFL as you want they are a good staple feeder -- the super or silk like 1-3 of them -- its great to hear shes eating
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom