Stomach tumor... GNT??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
I checked her again this morning to confirm she was gone. I had turned off her lights and heat and wrapped her in a tea towel last night. Her color doesn't look very different, her fat pads still are there.. beard partially dark, she's fairly stiff though, i turned her onto her back to see if she would move, and she was completely still and lifeless.

She looks like she's sleeping- she looks graceful, but her eyes are very sunken in, her tail and spine are fixed in the position she was in when she finally laid herself to rest yesterday. I'm not sure how long rigor mortis takes but i would definitely say there is some there. I have called a service to ring me back for the process to have her cremated. I'll be ringing the vet once they open to cancel her booking today.

I'm so heartbroken. I've had other pets before, I've had cats, dogs, horses, birds, fish.. while all of them were special in their own way, NO pet has ever made me feel the love ive felt for these dragons.

My husband and i separated last year, he kept our male dragon and Taro was all i had. I dreaded the thought that something would ever happen to her in my care. The unconditional companionship and comfort she gave me will never be forgotten.

When my husband first brought home our male dragon a few years ago, i was furious because i didnt want any more pets. But this experience changed me. We went to the same reptile breeder because he wanted a spider, and we ended up taking Taro home instead. I insisted we take her, because i said "Oscar has brought us so much happiness, this second dragon will just bring us double happiness"

And she really did. She was so unique and full of personality. What they say about no two dragons being similar is so true. I will never have another Taro again.

I am no longer a beardie mummy now and I'm not sure if I ever will be one again. Taro can never be replaced, and this pain is just too much.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Cuttlefishh":2s50w4bz said:
AHBD":2s50w4bz said:
Yes, the Wombaroo sounds like good stuff. Will you be making a smoothie with the veggies ? If I remember correctly the vet said that her intestine was narrowed due to infection or swelling or from something else I can't remember [ correct me if I'm wrong ] and aside from her wound it might be the reason that he wants her on all pureed type foods.

Yes I'll make it with the veggies + wombaroo and maybe reduce the frequency of ad. I would make a batch and freeze the ad+wombaroo so i think ill just do the same with the veggies.

Yes so, taro had an abcess in her intestinal lining; the lining tissue thickened from the inflammation so she debulked it aa much as she safely could. Shes on soft diet to prevent issues while we treat the remaining infection.

Taro seems to be doing okay for now. I hope she hurries up Nd sheds though because that will be one less stress on her during all of this

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
Cuttlefishh":3n9njkhy said:
AHBD":3n9njkhy said:
Yes, the Wombaroo sounds like good stuff. Will you be making a smoothie with the veggies ? If I remember correctly the vet said that her intestine was narrowed due to infection or swelling or from something else I can't remember [ correct me if I'm wrong ] and aside from her wound it might be the reason that he wants her on all pureed type foods.

Yes I'll make it with the veggies + wombaroo and maybe reduce the frequency of ad. I would make a batch and freeze the ad+wombaroo so i think ill just do the same with the veggies.

Yes so, taro had an abcess in her intestinal lining; the lining tissue thickened from the inflammation so she debulked it aa much as she safely could. Shes on soft diet to prevent issues while we treat the remaining infection.

Taro seems to be doing okay for now. I hope she hurries up Nd sheds though because that will be one less stress on her during all of this

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
(Ignore the two comments I left above, I was carrying things with my phone screen still on and face down in my hands, I must’ve hit the “quote” button twice or something.)

This really sucks, I know exactly how it feels to lose your favorite pet. My cat’s death destroyed me, and I still miss her many years later. I also lost my dog to kidney failure (he was trembling and vomiting in pain, so we put him down within 30 minutes.) this year after he seemed to getting significantly better (and just as he was declared cancer-free. Ugh.)

In the meantime, although I didn’t know her personally, I will celebrate her life because she fought that infection so hard, and I’m proud of her for fighting and doing her best.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry you lost Taro, I know the pain is unbearable. :cry: I completely agree, you can
never replace them, they are truly individuals! She fought hard & so did you. I believe
she stayed around for you because she had so much to live for. You did a phenomenal
job with her.
I am so sorry for your loss. :cry:
We are all here for you.

Tracie

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Thank you everyone for your condolences, thank you especially Tracie who has been observing Taro's situation since my very first post and for your kindness and patience.

I'm feeling a bit lost right now, Taro was my only companion on nights like these where I would cuddle with her and watch TV after work. She used to love to cuddle up into my neck; tuck her snout into my hair a bit. Sometimes she would get a little stuck and i would have to untangle her out- she would always then look at me with some lazy or dissatisfied expression for pulling her off

I can still feel her warm little pudgy scaly body nestled there, on the right side of my neck. The scales from the side of her beard would poke me here and tickle sometimes.

Taro would be here too when I was in public, if she was not nestled in my sweater or jacket on my chest. This was her safe spot and she never tried to escape or jump off of me. People were intrigued by the snuggly dragon that was always curled around my neck.

Sometimes I would take really light day naps in the afternoon on my days off and just have her ontop of me with the blanket. she loved this.

My studio feels cold and lonely at the moment without her here.

I loved to kiss and pet the back of her head, she had a small dark beardie freckle there on the back of her head on the left side- when i first got her i was so scared that this was some sort of issue but it was just another normal part of her :lol: and her silly little disjointed toes that the vet could not make sense of.

there are so many things i should have just done better for her from the start and i wish i had. I wish i had gotten her more used to eating her veggies more and a more varied diet. I wish i didnt give her so much fruit. I wish I had set up her enclosure properly from the start. I cant help but feel i robbed her of her chance of a good life because of my mistakes. I'd do anything to have another chance with her.

When my husband and i split apart i just wanted more than anything to rebuild my life, and she was with me for every tragic step of that messy experience, and she never failed to give me comfort when i needed it. She was always there and happy to be held by me. I promised we would move out of this small place together, and we still will. I will be keeping her remains with me in my home always.

I apologise for dragging this on, I think it will definitely take time for me to move forward with this outcome.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It seems to be what we do when a tragedy happens, second guess what part we think we played in it . You didn't do anything wrong, nothing that caused her decline + her death. Give yourself a break, you did everything you thought you possibly could do to help her. Lots of beardies eat certain amount of fruit + have a short time in their life where they had sub par lighting, etc. That doesn't lead to such serious condition. Even beardies in perfect environment + care can end up with things like cancer, gout, yellow fungus etc. So please don't blame yourself . And no dragon will ever take the place of Taro but maybe in the future you could get another and they could be a different little scaly friend. I know it's probably too soon for you to think about that and I know that no words can really help right now but once again, I offer my heartfelt sympathy. :(

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Thank you for the kind words and sympathy, and all the help and support youve given through Taros journey :) i have come back once or twice to re read these posts and its helped me a little to heal

Taro has come home to me today. The company that did her cremation was lovely and were very gentle and delicate. She was hand delivered to me by them.

psZuL0N.jpg

Holding her remains today was hard but also healing. I have placed the small box and certificate on my night stand for now. I'll find a more permanent place for them in time- I was thinking of crafting my own wooden box for her and including some pictures. i will eventually scatter her remains when i find the appropriate time and place to do so. For now though she will stay with me for a little longer.

Everyone around me in person has been extremely kind. My colleagues were expressing condolences even and asking if i was okay. My boyfriend, my ex husband, my vets, even my builder were all rooting for her. She was on a lot of people's minds, the little dragon that fought so hard against the odds!

With some heavy thought, i have reconsidered.. i think i will someday try to open my home to a new dragon.. just not yet. I may wait a little while, i want to do some things first (such as move address, and renovate Taros enclosure). My builder said he would be happy to accommodate whatever customisation I like- he will he fitting me the proper lighting this time.

Thank you everyone for your support here for Taro. She will be forever in my heart; im sorry this story didnt turn out with a happy ending but what she has given me is still a happy outcome for me regardless.

I may lurk on this site a bit for research .. and who knows; may be my next post will be introducing a new baby- (and not in the ER section this time, hopefully!)

LuaBlua

I've just stumbled across this thread, and I just wanted to say I am so wholeheartedly sorry for your loss. I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through, just know she's in my heart and my thoughts, it sounds like she had a beautiful soul. I wish you all the best, sending you so much love. <3

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, she was so loved and it's touching that all those people who generally might not have thought of a lizard as a precious pet saw what an impact Taro had on you. Please do lurk on here and say hi once in a while or offer a word of advice or encouragement to other owners if you feel like it. And when the time comes there may be that new thread with another cheery little scaly face taking residence with you. :)

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
So sorry to dig up this post after a month away. I received two cards from the vet; one of them looks to be hand made that i received today from her primary vet and surgeon. It brought tears to my eyes.

FnM0DUy.jpg

This one I received about two or so weeks ago

gQHZ4dO.jpg

This one today from her attending surgeon

Both were filled with beautiful messages, the second one especially came from her surgeon who said she would always have a place in her heart for Taro

Her main doctor was so good to her, she told me after she found out it took her time to call me because she was grieving herself, but felt guilty and apologised for not doing so right away.. I dont think i could have asked for a better vet for her.

I have since come to my resolve; I will take taros journey with me and use it to help me grow as a better beardie owner. I have since gotten a new baby named Charlie very recently, she's only 4 months old. I have already made some updates/modifications to husbandry and diet that i learned from Taro (keep those supers away! No fatty diet! BSFL/crickets are her main staples !)- and Charlie seems to be settling in pretty well and quickly; she definitely is different to Taro, that's for sure ! A lot more active and curious.. though she is a baby. :lol:

I will be taking her for a first time checkup to this same vet once its been long enough for Charlie to feel safe and at home (maybe 1-2 months just to give her a little time to settle down)

Rest in peace Taro; you are dearly missed by many !

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, that was really nice to get those cards but I'm excited to hear about the new baby Charlie ! Can't wait to see the pics of her and hear about her antics and youthful beardie silliness. :) Will her new thread be in the introduction forum ?

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
AHBD":1trtmh8d said:
Aw, that was really nice to get those cards but I'm excited to hear about the new baby Charlie ! Can't wait to see the pics of her and hear about her antics and youthful beardie silliness. :) Will her new thread be in the introduction forum ?

They were nice, brought me to tears!

I have posted her introduction! Meet charlie! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=255253 I've taken many pics so i might actually start up a thread in beardie tales for her hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom