How much should I feed my beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee23

I don’t know how old my beardie is. The pet store didn’t tell my sister when she got him. He still seems fairly small but not baby like.

I work from 6:45pm-5:15am Wednesday-Saturday so I try and feed Rango in the am when he wakes up around 12pm and then feed him again at 6pm right before I leave for work.

Usually he gets the salad after he wakes up and then the bug feeding when I’m leaving for work. Am I feeding him too much or not enough?

Here is what he looks like and his size

108402-7831434635.jpg

108402-7712038252.jpg

LuaBlua

First of all, he's absolutely adorable!
I'm not beardie expert at all but I'd probably suggest feeding more insects, both when he wakes up and goes to sleep, and don't be shy with how much, but I try not to overfeed to the point where mine is so full she can barely walk! Also, I don't doubt you aren't but make sure to keep supplementing with calcium and multivitamin every so often. It's insane how fast they grow!

Lee23

Original Poster
LuaBlua":iy28uhyl said:
First of all, he's absolutely adorable!
I'm not beardie expert at all but I'd probably suggest feeding more insects, both when he wakes up and goes to sleep, and don't be shy with how much, but I try not to overfeed to the point where mine is so full she can barely walk! Also, I don't doubt you aren't but make sure to keep supplementing with calcium and multivitamin every so often. It's insane how fast they grow!

Thank you so much! I’ll be sure to compliment him for you when he’s done hanging out in the windowsill! He competently ignores me when he’s up there, it’s his favorite spot because my room faces the backyard and can see everything out there and the sun hit directly there too.

108402-1433479051.jpg

I always feel bad leaving him when I go to work and try to make sure he eats enough so that he won’t go hungry the whole night I’m away. I tried the Dubai roaches for him but I felt like they were too big for him and was afraid he would t chew them correctly and choke. I do use the calcium for his bugs but I don’t have any multivitamins for him. Do you have any recommendations for that?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Reptivite vitamins---- I would stay w/ the dubia roaches -- if you can get a 5/8 size that would be good- you can leave salad and those roaches for him in the bowl - usually that size cant get out if your using a glass or ceramic bowl - but he looks young under a year -- I would put 10-12 roaches in the bowl -- he can eat thru out the day and then feed again when you get home- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder- here is a website for roaches and silk worms - they are a good staple feeder and you can put those in the bowl as well - like 3 of them www.reptilianarts.com they have roaches - I have not ordered roaches from them but the silk worms are nice - they will send small if you order in bulk like 50 - you need to order food if you order them so you can feed them and clean out the containers daily--they also have nice super worms as well - you can feed the roaches and the super worms carrots - if you decide to start feeding roaches as a staple feeder you can keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium and feed them dubia food and carrots or squash for hydration just dont feed your dragon carrots too to much Vit A--- www.coastilsilkworms.com has them I think the east coast is still out but you can order from the west coast -- I have some other websites as well but either some are not shipping now or they are out--- when back in stock you can order butter worms another good worm -- horn worms as well they grow really fast so I always order in smaller quantities -- and feed like 2 at a time-- they are a good hydrating worm --
Karrie

LuaBlua

Lee23":2elly2yq said:
I’ll be sure to compliment him for you when he’s done hanging out in the windowsill! He competently ignores me when he’s up there, it’s his favorite spot because my room faces the backyard and can see everything out there and the sun hit directly there too.
Shiho (my beardie) is exactly the same, she's only about 3 months too and the window is the only place she'll chill out without trying to jump for her life. I'm also completely invisible to her while she's watching out the window, but it gives my poor heart a rest from thinking she's gonna sprint off and break her neck :lol:

Lee23":2elly2yq said:
I tried the Dubai roaches for him but I felt like they were too big for him and was afraid he would t chew them correctly and choke. I do use the calcium for his bugs but I don’t have any multivitamins for him. Do you have any recommendations for that?
Dubia roaches are great, I too like Karrie said would try to stick to them, crickets are such a pain, and the roaches are more nutritious anyway! They do take a bit more chewing, but as long as they're not really bigger than the space between his eyes it should be fine. I was completely apprehensive when first feeding Shiho one since they look so big, but it seemed to go down fine! If you had no trouble when you tried you shouldn't have to worry too much.

As for multivitamin recommendations, I live in the UK so I'm not sure I can be much help with that, I'm sure others can give you tips. I personally use the Komodo Advanced NutriCal and it seems to work perfectly, but I'm not really a multivitamin expert :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom