My vet wants an enema done for my beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

DinoKiid

So I took my bearded dragon to the vet cuz I noticed he was starting to have head trembling, my vet got some test done and she said he does not have MBD , and his calcium count was In the normal range but she did put him on some liquid calcium and this has seemed to solve the problem, however while she did test she saw he was impacted with the calci sand he had in his tank. I changed it to tile. Before the vet visit I had given him crickets and some fruits and also milwoems and he ate fine . So after she said she wanted to give laxatives to try to help flush out the sand, two days after the visit we communicated and I let her know he had not had a bowel movement after being two days on the medication, she said if he didn’t have a bowel movement she wanted to preform an enema to try to help him and or think about having surgery done. She also said she wanted me to take him to the emergency room if he hadent gotten better on Tuesday (because office is closed Monday due to holiday) but she said he may be able to wait until our scheduled check up on Thursday. Today he peed and I think he tried to poop cuz I saw some white stuff stuck to his underside but not a big poop, I left him soaking in warm water to see if it will help. I’m starting to get worried because I read that enemas can be dangerous and kill them and I saw ways to give natural laxatives to them but I don’t wanna mess with his medication. Someone pls give me some advice on what i Can do to help my bearded dragon

Ok so I put him in warm water and gave him a massage on his belly and he pooped it wasn’t Much but it was good, I could tell he was struggling a lot, but he hasn’t been eating and now I’m concerned again

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
DO NOT DO AN ENEMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! here is a post on them
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=252267
It sounds like he is going now - I am sorry hes struggling - if you still need help I would get some baby prunes or unsweetened appelesauce or sweet potatos -- feed him those and let him try and go by himself --- warm baths will help too messaging the tummy--- but NO ENEMAS!!
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, how old + big is your dragon and how long has he gone without a poo ? It's true that enemas can be dangerous [ I'm the one who posted the warning thread ] but there are times when it's necessary. It's just to be done as a last resort after it's obvious that they can't pass the stool with all other methods tried. Did your vet give you enulose or lactulose ? That's what they usually give for impaction, and that's good. You can still give the other things that Karrie mentioned, that will all be helpful, usually works very well. Don't give him any more solid food though. Then give him a warmer than usual bath and gently rub his belly from his chest down.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Absolutely no enemas, please. Most of the time, they cause internal injury or death.
They are really not needed. Lactulose is a good agent for help with a laxative effect.
Or as suggested, you can give coconut oil or olive oil along with squash baby food or
sweet potato baby food daily to help with impaction also along with warm baths.
Let us know how your dragon is doing.

Tracie

DinoKiid

Original Poster
So he measures 18 inches and he weighs 460g but I’m not sure if they updated it when I took him to the vet but that’s what the paper says. He is about 6 years old. How do I go about feeding him? I bought him the baby food, would I have to give it with the syringe ? And if so how much? His house is set from 80-110 F Rn it’s about 89 F if this also helps

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah that's the generic, same thing as lactulose.
https://www.tevagenerics.com/product/constulose-lactulose-solution-usp

Have you given him any of that yet ? And just drip/smear some of the baby food mixture on his snout, some beardies will just lap it up so you can give him quite a bit . Try adding a bit of strawberry baby food as well if he doesn't go for the other stuff but beardies usually like applesauce [ try to get unsweetened ] or sweet potato baby food. Add extra water to it as well..

DinoKiid

Original Poster
Yes I gave him the prune one and he did a small poo, but I know he is constipated I see him keep trying to push more out and it will not happen, I started rubbing his belly and he kinda hissed and he has never hissed at me before. I left him soaking for about 20 mins and put him back in his cage cuz I don’t wanna stress him. But now that I put him back he walked over to the cool side of the tank and just sat there. He looks very alerted and walking around , if you were to see him you would think nothing is wrong . But I am still worried and overthinking if she will still want him to get the anema or Surgery done ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, keep offering the natural laxatives and the chronulac along with a little extra water. Get some applesauce too . Give it to him at least once a day or more if you can.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a good product, so you can feel confident about using it short term to help him out
if he is impacted. As suggested, you can simply mix it with some baby food to see if he will
lick some off of his little nose.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

DinoKiid

Original Poster
Today he made a big poop after mixing the prune and apple sauce baby food, I gave him the laxative and put him in the warm water and it worked! I’m really happy because he has made progress. I just hope tomorrow his vet will say he will not need to have surgery or enema done if he can pass it himself
92882-9108690312.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hey, that's great ! Just keep doing what you're doing. He does not need any surgery or enema, if the vet says that you should run ! Let Dino pass his impaction on his own and he should be fine. :)

DinoKiid

Original Poster
I just picked him up , he had an appointment at 8 and they wanted me to leave him for day observation. She took more xrays and said it does look like he has made progress but she wants me to keep on the same routine for another week, she said she will not need to do an enema anymore and she saw he was “sassy” lol so she took it as a good sign and because he was not vomiting or refusing to eat , she did say if he can’t pass it on his own and goes bad she maybe would want me to think about surgery though she said she doesn’t want to I asked for the xrays to show you guys, she didn’t send me to old ones to compare them however /:. But I will see how he does this week and let y’all know how the next appointment goes
92882-2000629739.jpg
92882-6233069408.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good, he's passing his poo on his own with the natural laxatives and the lactulose. Those are always the first things to try and they work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom