Bioactive Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
108182-2403282700.jpg
if anyone can tell me what they think of my setup
I have him on 30% Playsand from home depot and 60 %black gold organic topsoil with no fertilizer, pesticides or additives. And 10% moss and orchid bark. The plants are aloe vera x2, Echeveria, and jade plant.. He has a basking spot around 90 degrees and the low side is about 80. He eats veggies everyday and mix or crickets and super worms about 1-2 Times a week. His uvb is a reptisun 10.0 strip light . He's on a timer and wakes up at 8am and goes to sleep at 9pm. I haven't seen eat the dirt or mess with it alot . I just want him to be happy and like it
108182-2295405763.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you have any isopods or other bugs set up in the dirt to manage it? I would probably try to bump the basking temps up a little bit. Shoot for around 100, probably on the surface of that nice log up against the side. The setup looks nice, you just want to be sure it is well balanced and can manage itself. I would check the Bio Dude site for some further ideas.

AyannaReptiles

Original Poster
Yes I ordered springtails and isopods and they are arriving by tomorrow as well with some leaf litter. I need to def do more research as we can all learn more i think but in just worrying about it haha

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
That guide sucked , I use topsoil , playsand , coconut fiber, sphagnum and pete moss some fir bark and I have corkbark pieces and cholla pieces in there I use horticulture charcoal aswell as twigs etc . For my clean up crew I use Spring tails , Isopods, Earthworms, dubia roaches ,darkling beetles and buffalo beetles aswell as some superworms.i also have mychorziheal fungi , arkia bacteria and benefical aerobic bacteria all those come in Biodudes BIOSHOT, My leaf litter consist of maple leaves, oak leaves and southern magnolia leaves I also use slate rock and mineral rocks , I have a much better post on bioactive then that here viewtopic.php?f=34&t=254808 and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting the Jungle Dawn LED BAR by ARCADIA. The specific species of isopods I use are Dwarf purple , powder orange , powder blue, dwarf white and for spring tails I have two species dont exactly remember but the darkling beetles and buffalo beetles from super worm and mealworms are close relatives to the dung beetle so they are a great addition the the clean up crew. You can take a beardie out the wild but you cannot take the wild out of a bearded dragon . Keeping them on tile damages their joints after so long and a plethora of other reasons to stay away from it you've defiently made the correct husbandry choice as you offer hunting , live vegetation , digging and burrowing and the mental stimulation list just keeps going and going lol best housing technique we have in the US. These types of set ups are the norm in the UK and Germany. Bumping up your tempature to 100 lol that's too low bump it up to 115 have a nice gradient though , like 95 to 115 where they can get higher and lower a nice gradient , what size enclosure do u have that guide said a minimum of 40gallon which is a myth should be no less then 4ftx2ftx2ft . Your substrate should be about 6 to 8 inches deep maybe 10 if ur enclosure is big enough you can make your own for cheaper and it will be better than biodudes mix and u will have much much to spare on maybe a bioactive roach bin or something happy herping and I hope you fish through all this folklore husbandry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom