Baby bearded dragon has a dark tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaitlyn2818

This morning I started the normal routine I turned on her lights and then gave her some time to wake up. When I came back I went to feed her some crickets but she wanted nothing to do with them. Then after further examining, I realized she has a dark tail. The fact she didn't want food was very alarming to me considering it is her first meal of the day. Then to see her dark tail was even worse. She has just been laying on her rock all morning doing nothing. The only thing she has done so far is asking to be let out so she could poop. I am not sure what is wrong.

kaitlyn2818":3dpli7jk said:
This morning I started the normal routine I turned on her lights and then gave her some time to wake up. When I came back I went to feed her some crickets but she wanted nothing to do with them. Then after further examining, I realized she has a dark tail. The fact she didn't want food was very alarming to me considering it is her first meal of the day. Then to see her dark tail was even worse. She has just been laying on her rock all morning doing nothing. The only thing she has done so far is asking to be let out so she could poop. I am not sure what is wrong.

It could be tail rot, hopefully someone more experienced can tell you for sure. It might just be a shed or her coloring, but if its getting darker or spreading it's probably not just her coloring.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
To me it looks like shed -- has the tail been injured? Biten? Is it dry and brittle on the end? If she is not eating shed will cause them to not eat but its usually more severe shed - what are you using for UVB? Brand and bulb? Coil or tube? Basking temps? What are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate-- How long have you had her? They will go thru relocation stress -- it will slow them down on eating but should not stop all together-- what size tank is she in?
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Definitely not tail rot, the tail can darken for a multitude of normal reasons. Their tail (along with many parts of their body, such as their beard) can darken without there being anything wrong :)

Tail rot is EXCEPTIONALLY rare, and basically impossible unless the tail was injured and the flesh exposed.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom