Taking beardies on walks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuaBlua

Hi!

I got my beardie about a month ago, she's only a baby!
I know that lots of owners like to take their beardies outside with a harness, but I was wondering at what age it would be possible? I'm aware that it wouldn't really be responsible to do that yet since she's so small and jumpy, I'd kind of expect her to just sprint off :lol:
All the harnesses look way too big for her, so I was just wondering at what point it could be a possibility :).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would suggest you wait till they are bigger -- like 5 months old or so - it depends on the size of the dragon -- I would not take her outside as of yet - if she were to get away you would have a heck of a time getting her -- we have had several mishaps on here where people have lost their dragons under decks docks etc............. I have 2 dragons and my oldest hes 2 1/2 I have taken him outside once - he was so scared he turned pitch black and was trying to run for the hills - it stressed him out so bad I have not tried since --- he gets scared sometimes he will see something and it terrifies him and hes running for the throw pillow sitting on the seat of the over size chair I have him sitting on-- lawnmowers and birds --- they terrify him -- so in the summer I set him on the floor in front of the screen door so hes getting fresh air and looking outside - he seems content on doing that -- my 11 month old I have not taken him out yet -- he is still pretty wild and not as chilled as my 2 1/2 yr old - I let him run the LR floor and haft to really keep a close eye on him-- hes all over the place where as Hiccup he will sit for quite a while in one place -- so w/ that I would let yours get adjusted to the surroundings - if you want bring him out and hold him you can let him run your floors but make sure you beardie proof it -- you dont want him getting under fridges computer tables dressers etc......
Karrie

LuaBlua

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1bnc85jq said:
I would suggest you wait till they are bigger -- like 5 months old or so - it depends on the size of the dragon -- I would not take her outside as of yet - if she were to get away you would have a heck of a time getting her -- we have had several mishaps on here where people have lost their dragons under decks docks etc............. I have 2 dragons and my oldest hes 2 1/2 I have taken him outside once - he was so scared he turned pitch black and was trying to run for the hills - it stressed him out so bad I have not tried since --- he gets scared sometimes he will see something and it terrifies him and hes running for the throw pillow sitting on the seat of the over size chair I have him sitting on-- lawnmowers and birds --- they terrify him -- so in the summer I set him on the floor in front of the screen door so hes getting fresh air and looking outside - he seems content on doing that -- my 11 month old I have not taken him out yet -- he is still pretty wild and not as chilled as my 2 1/2 yr old - I let him run the LR floor and haft to really keep a close eye on him-- hes all over the place where as Hiccup he will sit for quite a while in one place -- so w/ that I would let yours get adjusted to the surroundings - if you want bring him out and hold him you can let him run your floors but make sure you beardie proof it -- you dont want him getting under fridges computer tables dressers etc......
Karrie

Yeah, I can't even begin to imagine losing her outside, I'm terrified of losing her within the house nevermind the big wide world! It'll be interesting to see when she's older whether she'll enjoy going outside or not, I kind of hope she will because I'd love to take her onto the grass for the enrichment.

What do you think of the harnesses you can get for them? I've seen many people use them and think the concept is very smart, ensures slightly more safety for incase they want to sprint away. I just hope, obviously even if it's not too tight, that there are no dangers with them?

Also, the beardie proofing is something I definitely have been planning on but am not entirely sure how to do. I was thinking just getting a sheet of, eg kitchen cabnet liner, and just blocking small openings like fridges/under my bed (which is only a tiny gap but she could very easily fit through and we wouldn't be able to easily get her back)?

LuaBlua

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1h754piy said:
People have used pillows and pool noodles
Karrie
I don't know how I didn't think of pillows.:lol: I'm very tired. Using pool noodles sounds funny, can't say I have any! Thank you for the advice :')

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, babies are super fast & scare pretty easily! If you lost her outside, you would
probably never find her. I would wait a few months as suggested before taking her out for
a walk in a harness.
You could get a little mesh terrarium as a playpen to put her in if you wanted her to enjoy
some time outdoors. Just be sure you are with her & that she has access to shade also.

Tracie

LuaBlua

Original Poster
Drache613":3m99p557 said:
Hello,

I agree, babies are super fast & scare pretty easily! If you lost her outside, you would
probably never find her. I would wait a few months as suggested before taking her out for
a walk in a harness.
You could get a little mesh terrarium as a playpen to put her in if you wanted her to enjoy
some time outdoors. Just be sure you are with her & that she has access to shade also.

Tracie
That sounds like a great idea! Do you have any recommendations for them?
It could even possibly be a good introduction to the outside world too, preparing her for later in life if I ever take her out on a harness? I'd love to give her some sort of enrichment like that, without literally risking it all at the possibility of losing her :lol: She's so incredibly fast, it could all go haywire so quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom