Fortaz AND ponazuril question....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

Rango has been going through some mysterious symptoms (excess saliva, blowing bubbles, puffing up, heavy breathing, open mouth breathing) but other than these symptoms seems happy and good! He eats a TON!

We were initially thinking URI so he is on Fortaz at the moment (he also had some mouth swelling that might be from rubbing his shed or could be a sign of another infection) his XRays were too hard to read apparently to get a for sure diagnosis. But to play it safe we started treatment. The breathing was hard to see and I wanted to make sure I was doing something.

I also pushed to test for parasites. He has “moderate” levels of coccidia (don’t have exact number) and a prescription for two doses on ponazuril now.

Has anyone ever taken both fortaz and ponazuril? I guess I just get concerned of too many mediciations. My vet didn’t seem concerned but I’m usually pretty conservative with this stuff. Just without a full exact diagnosis I’m scared to choose NOT to do one of the medicines. What if the coccidia is what is causing his discomfort and the strange breathing?

Also, my other question, when my first beardie had coccidia he got 4 doses on ponazuril. Rango is only supposed to get two and then retest. Is this common? It’s a different vet for Rango than the one who saw gizmo.

Just want to make sure I’m making all the best decisions. Thank you so much!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, how old + how big is Rango ? It's good that he has such an appetite despite being on the Fortaz. I would usually be leery of giving 2 meds. at once but maybe since it's just 2 days he'll be O.K.
On the other hand you could hold off on the Ponazuril until some time after his Fortaz is done, just to be sure he continues to eat.

Tanyalove666

Original Poster
AHBD":25lpobj5 said:
Hi there, how old + how big is Rango ? It's good that he has such an appetite despite being on the Fortaz. I would usually be leery of giving 2 meds. at once but maybe since it's just 2 days he'll be O.K.
On the other hand you could hold off on the Ponazuril until some time after his Fortaz is done, just to be sure he continues to eat.

He is only 5 mo old and weighs a bit over 40 grams!
He is growing like crazy gained 20 grams in three weeks since I’ve had him.

That is an option. What would “not ok” be? Like not eating? I’m just so nervous to lose him. I lost my previous beardie at 8mo from failure to thrive related to ADV.

I’m scared to make the wrong choice. I wonder if he even has a URI now that I know about the coccidia. I did read it could cause some weird breathing and discomfort. The X-rays he had didn’t show anything of note to diagnose the URI.

Nervous. But happy the ponazuril is only two doses. So far I cant even tell he got the fortaz he’s a happy little boy no changes (only one dose in though).

Terrified to make the wrong choices here

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K. means he's still eating + seemingly has no negative effects from the Fortaz. He is still quite small so I myself would ask the vet if he could wait on the Ponazuril until he's done with the Fortaz and gains more weight . Since his trend is toward gaining weight you want that to continue.

Tanyalove666

Original Poster
AHBD":mp5ilx4l said:
O.K. means he's still eating + seemingly has no negative effects from the Fortaz. He is still quite small so I myself would ask the vet if he could wait on the Ponazuril until he's done with the Fortaz and gains more weight . Since his trend is toward gaining weight you want that to continue.

Okay that’s a good point. Yea I’m def scared. You can’t stop fortaz in the middle right? I myself feel like the coccidia is a more pressing issue because it could be causing the breathing. I was hesitant to even start the fortaz without a real diagnosis but two separate vets didn’t see anything in the X-ray or exam.

Great points thank you. I’m going to call her again in the AM.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Coccidia doesn't affect the breathing, it can affect the gastro-intestinal tract but some dragons show no symptoms and live a healthy life with low to moderate amounts. How long will he be on the Fortaz ?

Tanyalove666

Original Poster
AHBD":1e48mx1n said:
Coccidia doesn't affect the breathing, it can affect the gastro-intestinal tract but some dragons show no symptoms and live a healthy life with low to moderate amounts. How long will he be on the Fortaz ?

He is on the fortaz every three day’s till June 14th

Here is a few videos of the weird breathing....
https://imgur.com/a/U0hi3h0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom