New light setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
So I've been using a evergreen pets MVB 100watt that's about 10-12 inches aways from the basking spot temps are 105-100 but my Ziggy's eye is always closed and I've heard that can be result of improper light so I'm deciding on changing what are the best of the best and what will I need for traditional lighting? Thanks for all the help love Maddy and ziggy♥️

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your tank is a 40 gallon? Anything over 40+ gallon I recommend a 24" fixture w / a reflector - they are hard to find now along w/ bulbs --- there is one in stock that will work its here https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/t5-uvb-light-fixture.html you wont be able to use the bulb that comes w/ it its not for reptiles-- they are out of the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulbs - I was all over the internet today looking for Arcadia bulbs the 12% and no one I found has them I ended up going to this website and ordering the Arcadia 14% again its a good thing I have a 24'' tall tank ---
I found the bulb here https://www.thebiodude.com/collections/reptile-and-amphibian-uvb/products/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-t5-ho-22-bulb
Everyone is out of the fixtures as well -
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes you can use a T 8 I would get a 20" tho - and it would need to go inside the tank w/ NO plastic cover over the bulb - it needs to be exposed and basking decor would need to be 8-10 inches directly over head --- and that bulb would need to be replaced in 6 months you can get the Reptisun 10.0 T 8
Karrie

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok so if I did go with the t5 that would go inside the tank? Also what do you like for basking?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The T 5 can sit on top of the screen -- basking decor would need to be directly underneath w / a distance of 8-10 inches away - the screen is going to block 30% of the rays - thats why the T 8 needs to go inside the tank - the bulb is not as strong --- some use flood lights others use house hold bulbs - it is trial and error w/ basking bulbs - but you need a bright white - I have tried both and cant use either of the ones I mentioned - I have had to stay w/ Exo Terra 150 watt bulbs-
https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-100-Watt-Equivalent-Energy-Efficient-Soft-White-Halogen-A19-4-Pack/42379838 something like this but you would need to see what you get for basking temps - just make sure your using a digital probe to get the temp --
Karrie

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
108116-8543954058.jpg
108116-8543954058.jpg
KarrieRee":1ck1gw8h said:
The T 5 can sit on top of the screen -- basking decor would need to be directly underneath w / a distance of 8-10 inches away - the screen is going to block 30% of the rays - thats why the T 8 needs to go inside the tank - the bulb is not as strong --- some use flood lights others use house hold bulbs - it is trial and error w/ basking bulbs - but you need a bright white - I have tried both and cant use either of the ones I mentioned - I have had to stay w/ Exo Terra 150 watt bulbs-
https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-100-Watt-Equivalent-Energy-Efficient-Soft-White-Halogen-A19-4-Pack/42379838 something like this but you would need to see what you get for basking temps - just make sure your using a digital probe to get the temp --
Karrie
Hi karrie, I'm setting up the new lighting system and I'm doing the uvb right now I bought everything you had suggested does the uvb look ok?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is it in the tank or on top of screen ? It looks like its in the tank --- basking decor needs to be directly under it and 12-15 inches from it -- if its on top of screen basking decor needs to be 8-10 inches directly under it
Karrie

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
108349-5756694493.jpg
KarrieRee":1aqqzq40 said:
Is it in the tank or on top of screen ? It looks like its in the tank --- basking decor needs to be directly under it and 12-15 inches from it -- if its on top of screen basking decor needs to be 8-10 inches directly under it
Karrie
It's on the outside of the tank
108349-5335193742.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need a piece of decor directly under it --- so either set it width wise next to your basking light so he can get under both or get another piece of decor that is 8-10 inches from it -- the screen is gonna block 30% of the rays --- so you have the option of doing both -- most of us have them in the tank - you can also have it over his hammock check distance from hammock to UVB
Karrie

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
108349-5495750047.jpg
108349-4141994002.jpg
KarrieRee":2tngdvu7 said:
You need a piece of decor directly under it --- so either set it width wise next to your basking light so he can get under both or get another piece of decor that is 8-10 inches from it -- the screen is gonna block 30% of the rays --- so you have the option of doing both -- most of us have them in the tank - you can also have it over his hammock check distance from hammock to UVB
Karrie
So I added some more stuff and moved it over more does this look better?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yep he can get under it --- keep an eye on his behavior -- you should notice a difference if he was doing things he wasnt doing like eating -- pooping -- etc --- that should change now -- he had eye issues --? watch to see if it has changed in the next few days---
Karrie

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":26edqp0t said:
Yep he can get under it --- keep an eye on his behavior -- you should notice a difference if he was doing things he wasnt doing like eating -- pooping -- etc --- that should change now -- he had eye issues --? watch to see if it has changed in the next few days---
Karrie
Awesome thank you so much for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizziefan
Top Bottom