I need some answers please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Ok so I've made some posts here before and I love all the amazing people on here so thank you all for the help! I have some general questions I can't stop thinking about! So first off I have a MVB 100watt should I buy a uvb light to go with the MVB or would that be too much uvb? Also my ziggy is most of the time closing his left eye I had previously talked about this but when basking but I've noticed he's been doing it when I hold him or he just runs around but when it's open it looks totally fine. Lastly his coloring. Is it normal? I know it sounds silly but they say dying dragons are grey and he's kinda grey and his head seems kind of dull idk maybe I'm being paranoid but id love everyones opinions:)
108349-4690933889.jpg
108349-1064854139.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It looks like shed --- next what is the UVB all in one are you using? Brand and bulb? I cant help you w/ that but in order to determine if you need another UVB we need to know what your using - some more experienced on here can answer that question I am not savvy on the All in Ones-- distance also plays a role in it as well
Karrie

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for the reply! It's a evergreen pets brand but I'm honestly thinking about switching to a traditional setup.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
He looks a lot like our baby did. :)
I'm new and still figuring out lighting myself, so I can't help with that, but they can look "dull" when they are about to shed.

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thats honestly what I was thinking about the dullness. Have any of you dealt with dehydration I think my boy is dehydrated any tips?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
His poop will tell you if he's dehydrated- if the urate- is chalky and dried out looking- it should be formed white and moist - is he eating salads? You can wash or rinse his salads before serving- make sure insects are gut loaded and hydrated a good way for that is feed them carrots- you can try dropping water on his nose or spraying with water bottle or bathing-
Karrie

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I do feed his salads but he only seems to like kale but at that he takes like 6 pieces at most and then is done with it but I try to give him new things everyday he loves his crickets he eats 30 a day 15 in the morning and 15 at night I actually put his bugs in his water dish so he get water while eating them and he liked that so hopefully that works for me. I have issues with gutloading maybe I give the crickets a little cap of water and veggies they like it but the stuff gets old fast in there and dirty any advice on that?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The whitish to greyish coloring does appear to be an upcoming shed. That is normal so he
should be shedding there soon.
You mentioned that your MVB light is a brand called Evergreen? Where did you purchase it,
just curious, because I haven't heard of that brand. The MVB lights are great, when used
correctly. There are only a few brands that I recommend.
You can use Megaray, Arcadia, Exoterra Solarglo or the Zoomed Powersun. In combination
with any of those, you can use a tube UVB along with them to create a nice bright & balanced
UVB to UVA ratio.
Do you have more pictures of his tank setup you could post for us, too?

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am not a fan of crickets --- they stink and are noisy-- plus they are harder to keep- I would recommend you switch over to dubia roaches - they are a lot easier to keep and dont die off as fast - plus nutrition wise they are way better - gut loading just means well fed and hydrated - feed the crickets carrots they will get hydration from that plus nutrients as well just dont feed your dragon carrots too - to much Vit A-- if you need websites to order dubias from I have some along w/ some good worms too ---
Karrie

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":2er7fn3d said:
Hello,

The whitish to greyish coloring does appear to be an upcoming shed. That is normal so he
should be shedding there soon.
You mentioned that your MVB light is a brand called Evergreen? Where did you purchase it,
just curious, because I haven't heard of that brand. The MVB lights are great, when used
correctly. There are only a few brands that I recommend.
You can use Megaray, Arcadia, Exoterra Solarglo or the Zoomed Powersun. In combination
with any of those, you can use a tube UVB along with them to create a nice bright & balanced
UVB to UVA ratio.
Do you have more pictures of his tank setup you could post for us, too?

Tracie
I bought it off Amazon I've read in a few bearded dragon lighting guides that this particular one is very good and loved by many bearded dragon owners but everyone I've talked to on her hasn't heard of it so now I don't know how true that is? I'm actually changing his lighting setup to a basking bulb and uvb long lights you know traditional lighting so Ill send a pic once that's all set up

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3e7717j2 said:
I am not a fan of crickets --- they stink and are noisy-- plus they are harder to keep- I would recommend you switch over to dubia roaches - they are a lot easier to keep and dont die off as fast - plus nutrition wise they are way better - gut loading just means well fed and hydrated - feed the crickets carrots they will get hydration from that plus nutrients as well just dont feed your dragon carrots too - to much Vit A-- if you need websites to order dubias from I have some along w/ some good worms too ---
Karrie
I have to say surprisingly (knock on wood) I have only had like 2 die on me thus far and ziggy still eats them and mine haven't been loud at all so idk I would love to switch him to dubias but at my pet store they are super limited and really expensive like 7.00 for a little container of 20 so I actually like the crickets and so does ziggy when I got him from the pet store they were feeding him mealworms constantly ugh so bad but he switched over to crickets super easy so in the bug department he's not picky at all thankfully.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So I have heard dubias are expensive if sold in the pet stores - most everyone gets them on line or have started their own colonies -- I can give you some websites and you decide if you want to try ordering --- this one www.reptilianarts.com has dubias and silk worms which are a good staple as well - I usually order bulk silk the 50 and feed both the dubias and silk - if you order the bulk they come small and you will need to get food as well - containers need to be cleaned out daily along w/ the old food and feeding -- I dont know how they ship the dubias I have never gotten them from there - they should be in a container w/ cardboard egg cartons and you can keep them in there and feed them carrots along w/ other veggies - they like fruit -- I also have gotten super worms from them and they are nice ---
www.coastilsilkworms.com
www.symtonbsf.com -- BSFL another good staple feeder do not dust them and order large - make great salad toppers and lures to the salad bowl --
my go to place for dubias www.dubiaroaches.com they are not shipping dubias at this time they are low on stock but have great worms - horn worms - order small amounts they grow fast -- butter worms another good worm and currently no one has them -- along w/ super worms etc
Look at those websites and if you want order --- its always nice to have another source for food for them --- pet stores can get expensive -- all the worms and insects offer a good balanced diet along w/ the salads here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder

Karrie

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":35jq8ibt said:
So I have heard dubias are expensive if sold in the pet stores - most everyone gets them on line or have started their own colonies -- I can give you some websites and you decide if you want to try ordering --- this one http://www.reptilianarts.com has dubias and silk worms which are a good staple as well - I usually order bulk silk the 50 and feed both the dubias and silk - if you order the bulk they come small and you will need to get food as well - containers need to be cleaned out daily along w/ the old food and feeding -- I dont know how they ship the dubias I have never gotten them from there - they should be in a container w/ cardboard egg cartons and you can keep them in there and feed them carrots along w/ other veggies - they like fruit -- I also have gotten super worms from them and they are nice ---
http://www.coastilsilkworms.com
http://www.symtonbsf.com -- BSFL another good staple feeder do not dust them and order large - make great salad toppers and lures to the salad bowl --
my go to place for dubias http://www.dubiaroaches.com they are not shipping dubias at this time they are low on stock but have great worms - horn worms - order small amounts they grow fast -- butter worms another good worm and currently no one has them -- along w/ super worms etc
Look at those websites and if you want order --- its always nice to have another source for food for them --- pet stores can get expensive -- all the worms and insects offer a good balanced diet along w/ the salads here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder

Karrie
Awesome thank you so much! How much would you normally feel your beardie of each protein that's also been a learning curve for me not knowing how much of the protein to give him

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
My 11 month old eats 1-3 silk worms 1-3 super worms and salad in the mornings- I offer dubias in the afternoon around 3 and feed as many as he will eat - hes eating the 1 inch size dubias- my 2 1/2 yr old is picky and eats little salad and 1-2 silk worms when I can get him to eat and I offer dubias and most of the time hes not eating them this morning he ate 1 big one over a 1 inch size it was a full size roach - Hiccup will not eat meal worms or super worms or wax worms -- I am currently out of horn worms - if I have them both will eat them and I feed each one 2 of them - and when I have butter worms I will feed 1-3 of them --- so they are getting a variety of worms -- so just feed him a variety and he will get plenty to eat --- and you will figure out what he likes best as well --- Hiccup is a very picky eater - always has been -- Blaze hes not too bad - he does not like wax worms or meal worms - wax worms are too fatty - so limit those if you ever get any--
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom