3 month old bearded dragon not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, my female bearded dragon named Demi is not eating. I got her about 4 days ago. The tank set up is the Thrive 40 gal double door tank, I have a reptisun t8 10.0 bulb sitting on top of the mesh screen (thrive screen seems to be more thick than normal mesh screens could this be an issue) at first was using 100w Bulb and just switched to a 150 after these events happened. temps on basking are 100-110, cool side is 87 but hasnt spent much time over there. the first day I fed her some roaches and she ate them along with a few wax worms after a 48 hour journey. The next morning she ate a roach or two, and at night one roach. The next day she ate nothing at all. Im thinking the roaches were a little big. But she continued to refuse food and later on the third night of having her she threw up undigested food. Today is the 4th day and has refused all food and has been basking all day! She is showing stress marks in her belly and chin! What am I doing wrong! I fixed my heat temps with the 150w bulb thinking that would help but it hasnt. Also offered veggies like kale, collard greens, dandelion flowers, tomatoes, bell pepper, and cooked butternut squash.
108362-6821239334.jpg
108362-1062889337.jpg
108362-4994258606.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She is going thru relocation stress and her eating will be off -- but the not eating all together could be the UVB --- Its a T 8 it needs to be inside the tank NO plastic cover over the bulb-- exposed and approx 8-10 inches from her basking decor directly over her --- cool side the of tank should be 80's I would go for lower 80"s and temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer or infrared heat gun I recommend both -- NO stick ons they are inaccurate---- the undigested food tells me the basking temps are off -- you can get a digital probe from petco or petsmart for $6 -- infrared heat gun from your local home improvement store for around $20 or so -- I would get your UVB inside the tank as ASAP -- here are some things you can use to hang w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers -- shoe laces -- boot laces --
Karrie

Ryanguitare

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1cpba75x said:
She is going thru relocation stress and her eating will be off -- but the not eating all together could be the UVB --- Its a T 8 it needs to be inside the tank NO plastic cover over the bulb-- exposed and approx 8-10 inches from her basking decor directly over her --- cool side the of tank should be 80's I would go for lower 80"s and temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer or infrared heat gun I recommend both -- NO stick ons they are inaccurate---- the undigested food tells me the basking temps are off -- you can get a digital probe from petco or petsmart for $6 -- infrared heat gun from your local home improvement store for around $20 or so -- I would get your UVB inside the tank as ASAP -- here are some things you can use to hang w/ 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line -- potted plant wire hangers -- shoe laces -- boot laces --
Karrie
Im having trouble because the reptisun t8 is so big is there any other type of socket that would be better to put for inside the tank!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
--- so how long is the fixture and why are you having difficulty hanging it inside ? I can see the fixture sitting on top of the screen
Karrie

Ryanguitare

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1mpw4fcx said:
--- so how long is the fixture and why are you having difficulty hanging it inside ? I can see the fixture sitting on top of the screen
Karrie

The reptisun t8 20” it is bulky and im not exactly sure how to mount this big box into the cage?

108362-1902162689.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No and you can use long plastic zip ties fishing line picture wire hangers-
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No it should be ok -- just keep an eye on it but I think it will be fine -- is he under the UVB? It looks like he is kinda - you may haft to move your decor piece over towards the UVB so he can be under both -- its hard to tell -let us know how shes doing the next couple of days
Karrie

Ryanguitare

Original Poster
The uvb os about 6 inches from its main basking spot, and right under the spot she likes to go to cool down a little bit is directly under the ubv

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok watch the behavior and see how it goes the 6 inches might be ok - so just watch what she does --
Karrie

Ryanguitare

Original Poster
After fixing the uv light into the cage, there was almost an instant change! The stress marks now at 9:30pm in California are noticeably not as dark! I got 10 small crickets dusted in calcium powder and multivitamin and she ate all 10 as well as a few small roaches! She seems to already have more energy! Feeling positive and hopefully in the next couple of days she can gain back a little bit more weight!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Good glad she is eating now --- just watch her behavior and lets hope she can start putting weight on now :)
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Good job!
We have the same tank and I've been trying to figure out uvb. Do you mind posting a pic from the front of the tank so I can see how it hangs down? With only 18" of height I have wondered how this would work.
Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom