Baby Beardie Very Lethargic and not Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The UVB is a T 8? If it is it needs to go inside the tank NO PLASTIC cover over the bulb--- it needs to be exposed-- basking decor directly underneath approx 8-10 inches one reason for not eating-- next get rid of the red bulb it hurts their eyes -- if your basking heat is not hot enough lower the fixture or get a higher wattage heat bulb--- I would lower fixture-- make sure your getting temps w/ a digital probe thermometer
Karrie

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
You need to remove his hide during basking hours - as mean as it sounds, you're doing this for his own good. Here's a quote from Kids And Dragons (Where I got Mari from):
I do not personally use “hides” because I have found some dragons will spend all their time hiding and not come out to eat or bask. The only time I would offer a hide is if you suspect your dragon may be going into brumation.

I had to block Mari's hide entrance (Her basking rock has a hide built into it) with a big rock until she became too big to fit inside, and she's 100% confident in her enclosure.

Also, my cockatiel's name is Kiwi. XD

Dolly61

My beardie never moved much. Was just her personality from the start. She layed in her hammock most of the time. They love hammocks. Just make sure no hook wires stick out of the suction cups.
I only fed crickets and mustard greens when mine was little. I would put her in her water dish..a large pyrex..along with the crickets. They do like the movement. She then graduated to superworms or hornworms with the mustard greens. I always dusted greens with calcium powder.
You can put distilled water and mustard greens with calcium in one of those Bullet blenders..or any blender..and feed it with a syringe. You could put in crickets too.
She looks healthy. Sometimes they do just like to be alone.
I DO NOT recommend using a red or black light. Bad for their eye retina.

Yukonalona

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2lahc3fa said:
The UVB is a T 8? If it is it needs to go inside the tank NO PLASTIC cover over the bulb--- it needs to be exposed-- basking decor directly underneath approx 8-10 inches one reason for not eating-- next get rid of the red bulb it hurts their eyes -- if your basking heat is not hot enough lower the fixture or get a higher wattage heat bulb--- I would lower fixture-- make sure your getting temps w/ a digital probe thermometer
Karrie

Karrie, the UVB bulb is a T8 and it does not have a plastic cover on it. In the picture I have the UVB bulb exactly 10 inches from the top of Kiwi's basking spot. Should I lower it? And should I take out/block the entrances to the hides during basking hours?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No your UVB is at a good distance and no I would not get rid of the hides --- let him do his thing -- if your UVB lighting is good and basking temps are where they should be and hes eating and pooping he is good- its when they quit eating and do not bask is when we get concerned --- he needs to have the option of going into his hide if he wants --- if hes only basking for 1/2 hr then thats all he needs - he knows what he needs so just watch his behavior and eating etc
Karrie

Yukonalona

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3fws87lp said:
No your UVB is at a good distance and no I would not get rid of the hides --- let him do his thing -- if your UVB lighting is good and basking temps are where they should be and hes eating and pooping he is good- its when they quit eating and do not bask is when we get concerned --- he needs to have the option of going into his hide if he wants --- if hes only basking for 1/2 hr then thats all he needs - he knows what he needs so just watch his behavior and eating etc
Karrie

I am just worried because he has not been eating nearly as much as a baby bearded dragon should. He maybe eats 5 crickets a day 9 tops. It has been like that since I got him 3 weeks ago

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Yukonalona":swp2ymah said:
So, I moved his light setup to see if that would help. The UVB light is 10 inches from his basking spot and the regular white basking bulb is right next to it about 11/12 inches away as well. I thought that it was too bright in the tank, which is why my baby was hiding. But nothing has changed in the last two days. With the basking bulb roughly 12 inches away it has been harder to keep the basking spot at 105-110 so I had to turn on the red heat lamp that is in the same fixture As the basking bulb. I normally do not have that one on since I heard the red light is not good for beardies.

Kiwi has been eating a little bit more in the last three days, but he still only eats about 5-7 crickets a day and only a few pieces of veggies. I did give him some Flukers Reptiboost via a syringe to make sure he was getting enough protein and calcium. He has been pooping once a day and it looks normal. He also has remained alert, just not basking or moving too much.

I will post a picture of my tank set up. I am just worried that he will not get enough UVB or heat exposure.

That is how our baby ate in the beginning and she is thriving now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom