Female bearded dragon eating issues :( any help appriciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a female bearded dragon, and she never eats enough or properly. I got her from a family friend who got her from someone who was unable to take care of her before and after (we assume they had her for about 4-5 years) they left her in her tank to starve for two months! :( I don’t know how anyone could do that to her. She’s a bit sweetheart and was clearly handled well before by her original owner, but after we got her she’s always had these eating issues. She doesn’t eat veggies or fruit at all even though it’s always offered to her. We keep a food and water bowl in her tank with her so she always has the option for it when she’s not being fed and Theres dead bugs and her little bearded dragon pellets. And I add new veggies every day and offer a variety. Only time I can get her to eat a little bit of veggies is if I gently shake it with the tweezers tricking her I to thinking it’s a bug. But then she gets mad and doesn’t eat after. She only eats bugs and the only variety of bugs I’ve been able to get her from the pet store near me is hornworms, superworms, and crickets. I offered her mealworms but she refused those because they’re too small and she doesn’t like small bugs. :( any help would be appriciated because I’m at a loss for what to do. We’ve had her for almost a year now. Her setup is fine. Hot side is aboht 95-100° and cool side is 80°.

Just to mention she’s almost always been healthy only had an eye infection which is healing with medicine.

EDIT: thank you!! I don’t know how to reply to comments :( Im new to this website lol, but yes I will try that, I’ll see if there’s any Dubia roaches at any other pet stores, I only go to one for her food but there’s a few others in town :) thank you @karrieRee (I don’t know if you’ll see this I’m sorry :( )

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok that is common for them not eat salads since not starting salad when a baby and I understand how starving a dragon is as well - I had gotten a rehome / rescue and it basically was to later for her she was not even a year I think she was so small and emaciated I couldnt tell how old she was - I would ditch the pellets they are not any good - feed them to your crickets - next you can try this w/ her and see if you can get her to eat more salad - here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder -- get a glass bowl so your insects and worms cant get out - take a horn worm 1-3 super worms add them to the salad bowl - make sure she sees you do this the movement will get her to the salad bowl --- next you need to get some dubia roaches - you can order them on line if you cant find them in the pet store- let me know if you need websites and I will post them -- silk worms are a good lure to the bowl as well and a really good staple feeder -- let her eat from the bowl say an hr or so then add your crickets you will need to disable them take a leg off or two so they cant jump out -- dubias are easier to work w/ plus they last longer dont chirp and they dont stink - you can keep them in a 10 gallon tank or a plastic tote - feed them dubia food along w/ carrots for hydration or squash - try that see how it goes
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom