Bearded dragon toes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mlea13

So I just purchased my first bearded dragon 2 weeks ago now. He’s 4 months old and a hypomelanistic morph. He has one toe on each foot that is a little nub with no nail on it or anything (the second toe on each foot to be exact). Is this something with his genetics? Or could it have been an incubator issue with the breeder? I know that baby beardies will sometimes bite the limbs off other beardies in the enclosure but I just find it weird that every foot is the same toe that is like this. Does anyone know what this could be? Should I be worried?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

If it's every single foot and the same toe on each foot, that's a bit too big of a coincidence to all by from siblings nips.

That sounds genetic to me unfortunately. Hopefully that is the extent of the genetic issues.

Who did you buy him from if you don't mind sharing? Is he a hypo with no other morphs?

-Brandon

Mlea13

Original Poster
I got him from a reptile store called CEF Pets. They got him from a breeder and I’m not sure of the breeders info. I’m not sure if he’s pure hypo? This is what he looks like. He had clear nails. And you can see the weird toes in this pic too.

108361-3882983588.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that's weird.

Based on the color stripes (a relatively new trait/morph that is in relatively high demand) i'd say bad genetics and bad breeding practices by the breeder, whoever it is. I'd probably reach out to the pet store to voice your concerns about it. We really don't want to be encouraging poor breeding practices like that.

Genetic lines are weak enough as it is without people breeding irresponsibly like that. Most likely inbreeding to try to continue the color stripe/genetic stripe/phantom stripe.

Despite that, he is a very good look dragon. Hopefully like i said, the issues stop with the toes :)

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with Brandon, it doesn't seem likely that both feet were only bitten in the exact same area. Can you post close ups of the feet ? That being said, as long as he's healthy in every other way you'll still have a beautiful beardie that can live a llong life and make a great pet.

Mlea13

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I messaged the reptile store and sent them the picture I sent you and they pretty much acted like they didn’t even notice it before and said they’ve never seen that before and that they’re going to text the breeder.... I’m kind of mad now because how could they not have noticed that? I’ll post a close up pic of his feet tomorrow because he’s sleeping right now.

JuliaH

I have 2 lizards, and one of them is a bit special. Long story short he was an ***** and stepped out in front of the bigger lizard and now he's paralysed and can't properly move his two back legs. A few weeks ago, he did a massive poop and stepped in it. Two of his back toes got stuck together, but i didn't think anything of it. It wasn't until this morning did it become a problem. I think he noticed or maybe it got itchy or something, but he started chewing on the two toes stuck together. I managed to pull him from his toes and i'm not sure if i did it right, but i disinfected the wound with some dettol. His toes are still stuck together and he almost chewed his toes off, but he didn't get to the bone.

I've tried pulling the toes apart, but they're really stuck, like really really stuck. Please help. I don't know what to do and whether or not i should take him to the vet for his toe that he nommed. Please help! what should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom