Time to go down to 1 feeding per day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all!

So, working in an nursing home during this pandemic has made it very difficult to leave on my lunches to come home and give Dezzy his 1st insect feeding. As a result I started leaving his bug dish in his tank before his lights come on as well as his salad. At first he would eat the insects in the am and pick at his greens which was just sort of the usual for him and happily eat his afternoon feeding also. In an effort to entice him to eat his greens, I started adding a silk worm or 2 to his salad and it worked! He makes quite a mess but IS eating more greens than before. Silk worms are his absolute favorite, to the point where if he sees me get the container he will dash to the door. Over the last week or 2 I noticed he is barely touching his AM insects (mainly dubias and supers). He will still take an afternoon feeding if I tong feed him (spoiled turd) but not as many as he used to eat. I feel like maybe this would be a good time to try 1 insect feeding a day but also sort of scared it's too early?

Dezzy is 7 mo old, 18", and 342g.
ke3nx05.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hes old enough to go to one feeding -- leaving the silk worms in the bowl of salads is good - I would fill the bowl w/ salad and then add like a couple of super worms in there w/ his silk worms - they are a staple feeder maybe switch out to dubias during the week or feed the dubias on the weekend when your home --
Karrie

lizalizaliza

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2nkb35iw said:
Hes old enough to go to one feeding -- leaving the silk worms in the bowl of salads is good - I would fill the bowl w/ salad and then add like a couple of super worms in there w/ his silk worms - they are a staple feeder maybe switch out to dubias during the week or feed the dubias on the weekend when your home --
Karrie
How many silk worms would be 1 adequate feeding when they are large? I've only been giving him 1 in his salad when they get big, 2 if they are medium sized.

I ordered more but actually ran out today, so tomorrow I'll be trying out the supers in the salad.

Also, are you saying to mix both silk and supers in his salad and omit the afternoon insect feeding?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes give him the supers 1-3 and 3 large silk worms --- if he gets hungry he will eat his salad during the day - omit the afternoon insect feeding - mine quit eating afternoon feedings like around 5-6 months -- he was filling up on salad BSFL dubias and 3 super worms plus 1-3 butter worms - BSFL and supers and butter worms were added first thing in the morning - I let him eat from that bowl for like 1-2 hrs then added the dubias in to the salad of which he ate - I wanted him eating that salad as well ---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom