Red poop? Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
My little guy pooped in the tub today and the urate had some reddish brown on it. Ive attached a picture. His poops lately have been normal except this one. What should I do?
105535-1186814169.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Have you fed him anything red? like red peppers --- and if its only once I wouldnt worry about it
Karrie

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":10fal96p said:
Have you fed him anything red? like red peppers --- and if its only once I wouldnt worry about it
Karrie

Nothing red, but we gave him hornworms as a treat for his birthday this week. Could it just be he ate too much?

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Our beardie has had this same color in his urates too, and I understand that it's fairly common and usually nothing to worry about, although it can be scary because it can look like blood. Our vet examined some of it under a microscope and found that it was crystalline, not cellular, so not blood. I've heard of others noticing this in their beardie's poop too.

Best not to be too surprised by anything that comes out of a beardie's rear end, as long as it's not obviously blood or parasites. They are capable of producing a whole rainbow of colors in their poop and urate. :wink:

Can't go wrong with hornworms (except for the cost :roll: )-- most beardies go nuts for them, and I understand that they're pretty easy to digest.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Off colored urates like that are typically attributed to diet.

Butternut squash causes that.

Also if you gutload your feeder insects with that gel cube stuff, also causes that.

And, over supplementation can cause it.

-Brandon

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":23b7xd45 said:
Off colored urates like that are typically attributed to diet.

Butternut squash causes that.

Also if you gutload your feeder insects with that gel cube stuff, also causes that.

And, over supplementation can cause it.

-Brandon

We gutload insects. How do you define oversupplementation?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What do you gutload them with?

And what is your schedule for supplementation?

Typically, all other factors excluded, if the urate is becoming off white, its a sign you're over supplementing with calcium/multivitamins.

But, that's only the case if it's first been determined that what you are feeding your insects isn't the cause.

-Brandon

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":1c4qreq7 said:
What do you gutload them with?

And what is your schedule for supplementation?

Typically, all other factors excluded, if the urate is becoming off white, its a sign you're over supplementing with calcium/multivitamins.

But, that's only the case if it's first been determined that what you are feeding your insects isn't the cause.

-Brandon

We use flukers powder, we put some in with each new order of cricks.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's probably it. Switch to just giving your feeders potatoes and carrots for a week or so and see if the discolored urate resolves itself.

Something about the fluckers gut load products do that to beardie urates.

-Brandon

reiddragons

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":2abhjbfk said:
That's probably it. Switch to just giving your feeders potatoes and carrots for a week or so and see if the discolored urate resolves itself.

Something about the fluckers gut load products do that to beardie urates.

-Brandon

Could overload of nutrients cause cancer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom