Not open for further replies.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Yep. She's yours now. Sounds like a good name for her. :lol:
And it also sounds like she's recovering well, to be that feisty. :blob5:

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Okay she’s eating like a champ now, but how the heck do I get her to see black solider fly grub is food. All she wants is crickets ? girl you gotta eat other bugs besides that!!

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2s5rrw7u said:
Is she eating salads? Put them on top
Karrie
No, she has no interest in greens, and I don’t blame her, she’s so young still. If it’s not a cricket, she doesn’t want it, I still keep greens and the grub in her bowl and refresh daily in hopes.

Zivas so much easier. If it moves it’s food even if it’s my arm ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok try some small superworms if you can find them and silk worms add them to her salad in front of her see if that gets her attention- you can get small superworms here www.reptilesplus.com and silk worms here www.reptilianarts.com if you order in bulk make sure you get food and containers need to be cleaned daily and they need to be fed daily- I would add them in front of her she needs to start eating salads now or she will not eat them when she gets older- alit of people are having trouble getting them to eat salad after only feeding bugs w/ out enticement to the salad bowl-- evevif shes only eating a little it's better than none
Karrie

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, there seem to be lots of beardies who don't like to eat their veggies, and I've also heard of a few who eat more greens than bugs, like the books say they're supposed to when they're adults. I'm afraid part of the problem is that the beardies don't read the books, and people try all kinds of tricks to get them to eat their greens.

Our beardie (Puff, an adult about 8 years old) usually ignores his salad and will only eat greens once in a while if we hand feed them to him. At least he seems to like squash (you could try and see if Spitfire goes for squash). He was a rescue and we got him when he was about a year old, so who knows how he was raised as far as a healthy diet is concerned.

Good luck with Spitfire, but I wouldn't worry too much if she's not too interested in greens just yet -- not a lot of calories and she needs to gain weight. I agree that trying her on silkworms especially would be a good idea. You could also try some small roaches if you can get them. It sounds like maybe she likes food that moves a lot. At least crickets are usually easy to get so hopefully she will have a reliable supply of them until she learns to like a few other things.

We tried BSFL (trade name "Phoenix worms") for our beardie and they were really convenient for us but the beardie didn't seem to like them too much better than Spitfire does. My husband thought that he didn't like the taste of them but I suspect that they were too small (for a fully grown beardie who apparently has poor vision or coordination and is a klutz as a hunter) and didn't move around enough for him to recognize them as food right away. He would eat a few of them though, so don't give up on them for Spitfire just yet. They're good for her if she'll ever eat them.

We tried putting wiggly bugs in Puff's salad, but he was very good at picking out the bugs without eating the greens. :roll:

It can be really frustrating when they don't eat what you know is good for them, just like having a little kid who won't eat veggies. :banghead:

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
SHBailey":is1x5m0j said:
Yes, there seem to be lots of beardies who don't like to eat their veggies, and I've also heard of a few who eat more greens than bugs, like the books say they're supposed to when they're adults. I'm afraid part of the problem is that the beardies don't read the books, and people try all kinds of tricks to get them to eat their greens.

Our beardie (Puff, an adult about 8 years old) usually ignores his salad and will only eat greens once in a while if we hand feed them to him. At least he seems to like squash (you could try and see if Spitfire goes for squash). He was a rescue and we got him when he was about a year old, so who knows how he was raised as far as a healthy diet is concerned.

Good luck with Spitfire, but I wouldn't worry too much if she's not too interested in greens just yet -- not a lot of calories and she needs to gain weight. I agree that trying her on silkworms especially would be a good idea. You could also try some small roaches if you can get them. It sounds like maybe she likes food that moves a lot. At least crickets are usually easy to get so hopefully she will have a reliable supply of them until she learns to like a few other things.

We tried BSFL (trade name "Phoenix worms") for our beardie and they were really convenient for us but the beardie didn't seem to like them too much better than Spitfire does. My husband thought that he didn't like the taste of them but I suspect that they were too small (for a fully grown beardie who apparently has poor vision or coordination and is a klutz as a hunter) and didn't move around enough for him to recognize them as food right away. He would eat a few of them though, so don't give up on them for Spitfire just yet. They're good for her if she'll ever eat them.

We tried putting wiggly bugs in Puff's salad, but he was very good at picking out the bugs without eating the greens. :roll:

It can be really frustrating when they don't eat what you know is good for them, just like having a little kid who won't eat veggies. :banghead:

She’s refusing every bug besides cricket. ? I’ve tricked her into eating a few black solider fly grubs between crickets, and I found if I de-head them and dab the guts on her lips she’ll lick it off then eat said worm. (Old trick I use to get baby crested geckos to eat buggies)

She’s up to 9grams now, so she’s almost doubled her weight since I got her. Reason I hate having crickets is if I buy in bulk for cheaper prices they grow to fast for her to eat, and 50 of them are $8 at the local shops.

I’m not to worried about her not eating greens right now, neither is her vet. Our main concern is to get her back up to a healthy weight and get her back in track for life itself. Thankful all the bugs are give great diets, so she’s not eating empty calories when she’s eating crickets.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
That suggests that she likes the taste of the worms, at least.

The only problem with roaches is that they're even more expensive than crickets, but if you get them small and keep them at fairly cool temperatures, they don't grow too fast. They're also much less messy and less likely to die off if you don't clean up after them every day, unlike crickets. But for now, if crickets are all she'll eat, at least she's getting the protein she needs to get up to a healthy weight. It sounds like you're doing a beautiful job giving her the care she needs. :D

I guess we're lucky we can get any food for our beardies at all with this covid thing going on. :(

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
SHBailey":c1f3a747 said:
That suggests that she likes the taste of the worms, at least.

The only problem with roaches is that they're even more expensive than crickets, but if you get them small and keep them at fairly cool temperatures, they don't grow too fast. They're also much less messy and less likely to die off if you don't clean up after them every day, unlike crickets. But for now, if crickets are all she'll eat, at least she's getting the protein she needs to get up to a healthy weight. It sounds like you're doing a beautiful job giving her the care she needs. :D

I guess we're lucky we can get any food for our beardies at all with this covid thing going on. :(

I’ve got a small army of roaches that are almost breeding size, but until then I’m stuck trying to order some but due to the heat wave that’s coming my way I can’t order anything. I may have to give in and get the stupidly pricy ones at petsmart.

Thankfully I restocked on most feeders right before this heat wave, other wise I’d be sol

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Here are some website for roaches and silk worms
www.reptilianarts.com they are pretty quick --I get silk worms from them and super worms -- I have not ordered roaches from them
www.coastilsilkworms.com --- they were out of silks on the east coast but the west coast had them
www.mulberryfarms.com out of silk worms at this time
www.joshsfrogs.com
www.dubiaroaches.com the best place to get worms and roaches -- they are not shipping roaches now they are having to restock
www.reptilesplus.com they are affiliated w/ dubiaroaches
Karrie

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2b8ermr8 said:
Here are some website for roaches and silk worms
http://www.reptilianarts.com they are pretty quick --I get silk worms from them and super worms -- I have not ordered roaches from them
http://www.coastilsilkworms.com --- they were out of silks on the east coast but the west coast had them
http://www.mulberryfarms.com out of silk worms at this time
http://www.joshsfrogs.com
http://www.dubiaroaches.com the best place to get worms and roaches -- they are not shipping roaches now they are having to restock
http://www.reptilesplus.com they are affiliated w/ dubiaroaches
Karrie

Again, I have silks, horns, etc, besides tinny tinny dubia, she won’t take anything besides crickets. Also there’s a really bad heat wave coming my way, so it’s not worth the risk of shipping dubia at this time. It’s just a matter of time before she decides worms are not scary creatures.

I’ve got a half a dozen other animals that need live feeders so there’s no shortage of live prey to offer her. It’s one of the reasons I decided to take her in, I’ve already got all the resources food wise.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I remember those California heat waves, but I've been in Alaska for almost 25 years now and these days I get nervous when the temperature goes over 70, believe it or not. We broke a record last 4th of July -- it was 90 degrees in Anchorage. The beardie liked it, but I was miserable and afraid of fire. Not adapted to heat anymore.

I guess I'm crazy for trying to maintain an Australian desert environment in a little glass box in my living room. I'm sure the beardie doesn't know he's in Alaska. :roll:

We have the opposite problem here in the winter -- can't ship bugs because it's too cold. We can almost never get silkworms up here although I wish we could because the beardie would probably like them.

Thanks for all the links, Karrie. I recognize some of those websites from past experience. Many of them don't ship to Alaska. :(

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
SHBailey":19527jm8 said:
I remember those California heat waves, but I've been in Alaska for almost 25 years now and these days I get nervous when the temperature goes over 70, believe it or not. We broke a record last 4th of July -- it was 90 degrees in Anchorage. The beardie liked it, but I was miserable and afraid of fire. Not adapted to heat anymore.

I guess I'm crazy for trying to maintain an Australian desert environment in a little glass box in my living room. I'm sure the beardie doesn't know he's in Alaska. :roll:

We have the opposite problem here in the winter -- can't ship bugs because it's too cold. We can almost never get silkworms up here although I wish we could because the beardie would probably like them.

Thanks for all the links, Karrie. I recognize some of those websites from past experience. Many of them don't ship to Alaska. :(

I’m dreading the heat wave that’s about to hit. ? we didn’t really get a spring here. I’m going to have to turn on the ac other wise everyone is going to roast. And I have to work during the worst part of it.

I’m really worried about our fire season here. My county hasn’t seen much rain, and our house sits on a hill that’s a open range park, so we are surrounded by grass pasture, and very few trees.

Last year the hill across the way caught fire, and our property got covered in the ash. It was terrifying.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I used to live in the Los Angeles area, and I remember the Santa Ana winds and the brush fires, although I was in a residential area where the fire danger wasn't too high. I hope you and your beardies get through your heat wave ok.

We get bad forest fires here when it's hot and dry. We're again in a residential area where the fire danger isn't too high but there's green belt and bike trails too, so it happens here sometimes. This month has been unseasonably warm (60s - that's warm for Alaska :wink: ) with little rain, but we're supposed to get some in the next few days. We already had a fire this season but it was the worst last year. I hope this isn't going to be the "new normal," but it could be because the arctic is "ground zero" for global warming.

Meanwhile, Puff the "magic" bearded dragon just finished lunch -- a hornworm and a few crickets -- refused veggies -- typical for him. :roll: I guess he has an excuse even though he's an adult because he tends to be a little underweight -- he has adenovirus :( . Not as good of an excuse as Spitfire, though. Now he's sitting in his tank and giving us "The Look." Hopefully he'll stay there and bask for a while until he gets done digesting, instead of going in his hide for a nap like he sometimes does. Hopefully your little one is still doing well with eating and digesting and putting on some needed weight. :)

GeckoGarden

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Worms now = food. ?
Now only if she’d eat them from a dish instead of my finger tips. ? she’s starting to act more and more like a proper baby dragon.
44170-8549238364.jpg
44170-2724174052.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom