Parasites confirmed by fecal test - advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

So my new beardys' fecal has just came back with coccidia and pinworms:
full

At the moment she's in a bioactive set up, which makes it extremely difficult to disinfect everything. I do have a spare slightly smaller viv that I could put her in (currently empty in my garage) so I'm considering setting that up temporarily until shes been treated.

I have a few questions:
1. What kind of treatment will I be given by the vet? She's not the biggest fan of being handled and is quite skittish, so I'm dreading the thought of having to administer some medicine orally :roll:
2. If I just leave the viv she's in at the moment, will the parasites die on their own? Or do I need to do a deep clean before reintroducing her? (i.e. is there any way to kill all the parasites without also killing my clean up crew)
3. She seems quite alright within herself, but seems to lay in her hide/dig and hide quite a lot, could this be caused by the parasites?

Also, does anyone have any general advice? Best way to administer treatment? Anything else I need to know? I have some reptoboost lying around, I'm pretty sure that has a probiotic in it, should I give her some of that?

My set up is like this:
Code:
Beardy: Female, 18 weeks old
Basking temp: 40 degrees, measured by digital probe and high range thermostat
Hot end ambient: 33 degrees
Cold end ambient: 28 degrees
Basking bulb: Arcadia 150w heat lamp
UVB: Arcadia 12% 4ft
Viv: 4x2x2 bioactive

Thanks for reading!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, how big is your dragon, can you get a weight and post a pic ? If you can't get a weight just post the pic. As mentioned on the vet report, some dragons have no symptoms of ill health while carrying parasites. Does she have a good appetite , and what is she eating ? If the vet prescribes meds. you might try injecting the med. in to a feeder insect to give to your dragon [ since your dragon is skittish + hard to handle ] and see how that goes. Also, if the vet precribes Albon for coccidia ask for Ponazuril or Toltrazuril instead. They are much less harsh and usually only 2-3 doses are given. I would not re -do the enclosure, that's a huge job and your dragon will get stressed being taken out + kept in another tank. Just see how she does + she might turn out alright without too much intervention.

Nickthegreek

Original Poster
AHBD":fdanpy2q said:
Hi there, how big is your dragon, can you get a weight and post a pic ? If you can't get a weight just post the pic. As mentioned on the vet report, some dragons have no symptoms of ill health while carrying parasites. Does she have a good appetite , and what is she eating ? If the vet prescribes meds. you might try injecting the med. in to a feeder insect to give to your dragon [ since your dragon is skittish + hard to handle ] and see how that goes. Also, if the vet precribes Albon for coccidia ask for Ponazuril or Toltrazuril instead. They are much less harsh and usually only 2-3 doses are given. I would not re -do the enclosure, that's a huge job and your dragon will get stressed being taken out + kept in another tank. Just see how she does + she might turn out alright without too much intervention.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Really appreciate it.

Her appetite has never been what you'd expect from a juvenile beardy. I always offer her a wide range of insects, I keep a Dubia colony, so she'll eat between 2-6 medium sized dubias, I also offer locusts, meal/wax worms (sparingly) and recently I've started offering morio/super worms. She'll obviously eat as many wax worms as I'm willing to give her, but I know they're fatty so try and limit them, but they might be a good candidate for injecting the medicine into!

On an average day she'll eat something like this:
5 medium dubias,
2 medium locusts,
2 wax worms and a meal worm.
Like I said, not as much as you'd expect for a dragon her age. I've never been able to get her to eat greens in the 6/7 weeks I've had her.

I weighed her today as I needed to do so for the vet appointment I've booked for this coming week, she weighed in at 78 grams, and actually she looks really healthy weight-wise (no loose skin, no bones visible) sorry it's hard to get a picture onto the forum as I'm using my laptop to post.

Thanks for the advice on the meds, I'll be sure to mention to the vet on Wednesday.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She's on the small side for 4 months old but may just be a small or slow grower. As long as she eats well + looks good she should catch up [ hopefully ] And yes, you can inject the meds. in to whatever insect you are giving her. What type of heat + uvb do you use BTW ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom