Beardie got hit in the head by accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj23432

Hi, I'm sorry for any typos as I'm pretty scared right now, I was adjusting his UVB light and the entire thing came down and hit him on the snout. It is not big and is not a dense or heavy light fixture at all, he immediately got defensive and was opening his mouth and hissing and beard went black, while his mouth was open I was checking around and it there was a small amount of blood on the roof of his mouth just about where he got hit (inbetween the nostrils). I can only guess that he went into shock because now he is just sitting still, somewhat responsive (eyes moving, mouth closed, looking around, and breathing normally thank goodness) but he isn't moving from that spot and looks kind of confused I guess? I haven't tried interacting with him at all just to make sure he can calm down. His beard is still kind of black but other than that he isn't doing any other defensive behavior. I would really appreciate ANY help on what I need to do next, thank you so much.

UPDATE: he is now walking around a little bit with normal movement, but beard is still black
UPDATE2: He is acting normal now, and drank some water, I put my hand in there and he isn't showing any signs of defensiveness except his beard

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do continue to try and keep him calm and help him feel secure. It is likely that he just got really startled. Hopefully he will start to relax and return to normal after a while. It's good that he had a drink and is already showing signs of normal activity. It may take a bit for him to calm down completely but they tend to be pretty good about forgiving and forgetting. Has the bleeding around his mouth stopped? You don't want an open wound to sit for long without attention as it may become an infection risk. If it is not open any longer it is likely to be OK.

jj23432

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3cr9eaxf said:
Has the bleeding around his mouth stopped? You don't want an open wound to sit for long without attention as it may become an infection risk. If it is not open any longer it is likely to be OK.

I tried to open his mouth (using the method where you press lightly on the sides of their mouth) but he wouldn't open wide enough to see where I previously saw blood, but I didn't see any around his teeth or tongue.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He should be O.K., best not to try to open his mouth unless he's willing, otherwise you might increase any pain or sensitivity he has. Poor guy is stunned but he should be back to normal soon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom