Brumation or Sick is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

adventureswithnorman

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1fz3bgng said:
Here is a website for nutrition-- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale its a good staple feeder--- infrared ceramic light ? Is that a CHE I am thinking-- you dont need that going at nite as long as your temps do not fall below 65--- they like cool in the 70's and dark at nite it slows their metabolism for a better nites sleep --- NO colored bulbs --- that disrupts their sleep and can cause long term eye damage -- that UVB plays a huge role in their eating so get your UVB situated and the basking temps to where they need to be 95-110 and see what he does ---
Karrie
thank you for that info.
i use the infrared ceramic 100w light at night for his sleeping side. i do not have a CHE set up. and again he sleeps on the opposite side from his basking side. i'll double check tonight what the temp reads at. Our house at night drops to 65º and i keep that ceramic infrared light on 7p-9a.
108289-245705140.jpg
108289-1082057222.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That is a CHE -- ceramic heat emitter --- they are great for winter months but if his tank is getting down to room temp at 65 hes good --- its when it gets colder than that you would need it
Karrie

adventureswithnorman

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2ypnnnp4 said:
That is a CHE -- ceramic heat emitter --- they are great for winter months but if his tank is getting down to room temp at 65 hes good --- its when it gets colder than that you would need it
Karrie
oh wow so you are saying i should not have it on if my house stays at 65º???? that means nothing on in my tank?! so then his 75-85º was to high for his sleeping temp?
i guess i'm using his CHE for his sleeping lamp in the winters. so thats okay right? i never have use a red sleeping light. i know his other owners did use that. but i opted out from research.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You dont need it if his ambient temps in the tank are 65+ degrees --- it the tank is getting to 85 at nite its too hot --- you want the temps in the 70's or not below 65 --- winter time is great for CHE's I use two of them in the winter for my two tanks---- they have been off now for a couple of months - my tanks get around 68-73 at nite ---
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He may be overheated so be sure the basking doesn't get over 100 and the cool end is around 75. Cooler at night too , like Karrie mentioned. Is he overall doing better since you adjusted the light + lowered the basking area ?

adventureswithnorman

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1fa2crul said:
-- do you have the Xrays etc from the vet office I would post them so Tracie can see them --- she is our vet moderator and can give advice as to what she thinks is going on ---
Karrie
i got the xrays and he just pooped and i brought it in to the vet to test it. will get results tomorrow noon.
108289-329757738.jpg
108289-5572396056.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is male, correct & not female?
Did you get the fecal test results back? His bones look pretty good, no fanning or thinning
at the hips, the clavicle & skull area are bright also.
I had noticed on your UVB lighting, is it mounted on the back of your tank, inside of the tank?

Tracie

adventureswithnorman

Original Poster
Drache613":3brkomf4 said:
Hello,

He is male, correct & not female?
Did you get the fecal test results back? His bones look pretty good, no fanning or thinning
at the hips, the clavicle & skull area are bright also.
I had noticed on your UVB lighting, is it mounted on the back of your tank, inside of the tank?
Tracie
Thank you for your response. I never got him sexed but I’ve had people confirm he’s a male. I guess I could ask the vet today.
I have the uvb light inside the tank. It’s 22” bulb with a 75w halogen on the basking side that’s attached as one unit. It’s from a company “Carolina custom” that makes specifically reptile tanks.
108289-2627693331.jpg
(light setup)
108289-3363864771.jpg
(him sleeping this am before lights go on )
108289-6693949047.jpg
(Him a few days ago relaxing)
The vet is saying he has RI and his fecal test came back with high count of pinworms and is now on Panacur. He’s getting shots every 3 days for 10 times (one month) for his RI. And for the pinworms (Panacur) 4 days then a break for 10 says then 4 more days.
He is still not eating. It’s been about a week with no food. I DO put food out everyday with no interest.
Last time the vet gave me Oninivore and he would gasp every time, 40 min into feeding. And I told the vet and she told me to stop feeding him. So I did and he’s never gasped again.
Thanks for your time :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need to keep an eye on the weight -- you can use a kitchen scale and weigh in grams--- your lighting looks good --- do you have a hygrometer for humidity ? And your taking basking temps w/ a digital probe correct? Hammocks sometimes throw basking temps off -- its better to get a basking temps on something solid more accurate temp--- the medication hes on is probably throwing the appetite off I am guessing -- odd that the Omnivore care would cause him to gasp like that --- you may haft to syringe feed him baby food like squash and chicken so he does not lose weight if hes not eating on his own -- but I would keep on eye on that
Karrie

adventureswithnorman

Original Poster
KarrieRee said:
he goes to the vet every three days for his antibiotic shots so the vet is weighing him and making sure he's not dehydrated. i'm going today and i'll ask her if i can start to try and feed him baby food as you suggested. i've always syringe fed him. but he get a reaction from the Omnivore
i'm thinking.

i asked about the humidity gauge and she said here in California we are usually at 40% humidity and didn't feel i need to get a gauge.

yes and i am using a digital probe.
i usually check the temp when he's in the spot and i get the reading at 98º-102º at basking side and he loves laying on the decor log under the UVB the best and he reads there at 85º. i feel hes never liked being on the hot side ever. he'll go a few times a day but his sweet spot is always on the log.

adventureswithnorman

Original Poster
KarrieRee":7g9u0zff said:
You need to keep an eye on the weight -- you can use a kitchen scale and weigh in grams--- your lighting looks good --- do you have a hygrometer for humidity ? And your taking basking temps w/ a digital probe correct? Hammocks sometimes throw basking temps off -- its better to get a basking temps on something solid more accurate temp--- the medication hes on is probably throwing the appetite off I am guessing -- odd that the Omnivore care would cause him to gasp like that --- you may haft to syringe feed him baby food like squash and chicken so he does not lose weight if hes not eating on his own -- but I would keep on eye on that
Karrie
he goes to the vet every three days for his antibiotic shots so the vet is weighing him and making sure he's not dehydrated. i'm going today and i'll ask her if i can start to try and feed him baby food as you suggested. i've always syringe fed him. but he get a reaction from the Omnivore
i'm thinking.

i asked about the humidity gauge and she said here in California we are usually at 40% humidity and didn't feel i need to get a gauge.

yes and i am using a digital probe.
i usually check the temp when he's in the spot and i get the reading at 98º-102º at basking side and he loves laying on the decor log under the UVB the best and he reads there at 85º. i feel hes never liked being on the hot side ever. he'll go a few times a day but his sweet spot is always on the log.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so w/that being said about the laying on the 85 degree side all the time that temp is not hot enough to start digestion process so that could be one reason why hes not eating -- other than the fact hes got pinworms which might be a cause of the pinworms and the RI-- your humidity is fine but he needs to be basking at hotter temps-- I would take that hammock out and move that basking log he likes so well under the basking light and try and get your UVB moved over there too so hes sitting under both -- or go buy or find another basking log that offers gradient heat something like this
https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5290971 this can be layed in different ways - and it would offer the heat gradient I am talking about -- my dragons have them in their tanks and they love them -- they can sit lay stand or lay under them as well but I am thinking this would be one reason hes not eating or has not been eating for so long --- they need that temp - thats a theory so just throwing that out there
Karrie

adventureswithnorman

Original Poster
KarrieRee":25supkh5 said:
Ok so w/that being said about the laying on the 85 degree side all the time that temp is not hot enough to start digestion process so that could be one reason why hes not eating -- other than the fact hes got pinworms which might be a cause of the pinworms and the RI
Karrie
That’s what I have in there that grapevine log.
108289-3363864771.jpg
I have the basking side always at the required temp. If I move it he’ll find the cooler spot no matter what’s there for him to lay on. That’s my problem. He keeps moving to the cooler side of the tank.
He’s 5 and has never had these problems until I got this new tank :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom