Meet Kush monster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, meet Kush :) she is the best little monster

My husband and I got her about a month ago from a private seller, and shes 1 year old :) I'm attaching a few pics of her enclosure (around 150 gallons) and her fat self.

We built her enclosure; but she NEVER goes down into her bottom half, and we have a heat lamp down there. Are beardies not really too into climbing? She is content to sit on her basking rock and one of her hammocks, but she has no interest in climbing DOWN; what gives?

Also, we live in south carolina, so a pretty humid state. During the day, her humidity is right at 30% or below, but at night its jumps to around 50%. I have one of those eva dry dehumidifiers in there now, but it doesn't seem to do much. If you look at the bottom half of her enclosure, we made 3 holes (which are covered with an air vent) on both the left and right hand side, a long with the mesh covering in the top half, which her lights sit on. Do we need to have MORE ventilation?
108322-1854028893.jpg

108322-911500547.jpg

108322-3753549974.jpg

108322-6735971626.jpg

108322-4521941552.jpg

108322-5319267786.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your tank looks nice --- but I would ditch the red light they are no good --- harmful to the eyes and disrupt the sleep--- your humidity is fine --- you dont want it over 70% ---- and for the UVB what are you using brand and bulb --- T 5 or a T 8 ---
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the T 5 distance from basking decor should be 12-15 inches --- you want that UVB directly over her --- from the pic it doesnt look like she can sit directly under it --- and shes hanging out on the level where the lights are correct? That would be normal --- they need more floor space than height -- you need height for your lights so you can get them properly placed and for your dragon to be able to sit on a piece of basking decor thats not going to hibit him from doing so -- if its a T 8 its going to be a different distance
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah, you can tell from the fixture it's a t8 :)

But, I also see the plastic cover on that, that's blocking out the UV, you need to remove that clear plastic piece from infront of the bulb.

Effective distance of a t8 is 6-8 inches in your setup.

And.. Hi Kush Monster :D

-Brandon

Draven88

Hatchling Member
Welcome

You have gotten great advice already, definitely need the plastic off the UVB or its pointless as that blocks the UVB. If you cannot get that closer to the right range a good T5 will allow some more distance. As noted they do love to climb and be high up but in your enclosure i would expect to remain up top for UVB and basking.

One note as I see a dial temp and humidity gauge. They are notoriously horrible at providing accurate readings. You will want a temp gun if you don't have one to be most accurate. You will want to ensure the basking temp as well as a cooler area so she can self regulate her temperature.

MangoKush1313

Original Poster
thank you for all the helpful advice!

another question; our heat lamp is dual with UVB...should i still take the plastic cover off the t8??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes the plastic cover is blocking the UVB rays -- you want the bulb exposed and approx 8-10 inches from basking decor
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom