Loose 'beard bone'

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanHx

So just a few minutes ago Oscar turned his head at an odd angle and I suddenly saw what seemed to be a bone protruding under the skin (what I assume is the bone used to give their beards the round shape when puffed out). After lightly pressing on it just to see what the hell it was it just sort of slipped back into place, but I'm just wondering is it meant to be loose like that? It seemed like it was at the completely wrong angle. I can still run my finger along it and feel the end at the back of his jaw, where it's just floating there.

RyanHx

Original Poster
Hi Karrie cheers for the reply.

Here's a few pics (it was on his left side that it happened):
107704-3254166218.jpg
107704-8330287733.jpg
Tried to draw over the bones that I'm talking about in paint ^ :lol:
107704-6682776119.jpg
The end is floating around that baggy skin above his shoulder in the third pic.

Like I said it did seem to slip back into place, though he was a bit confused afterwards. I'm wondering if this is just something that can occasionally happen? He's still been eating fine and doesn't seem uncomfortable at all.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks pretty normal to me. The tissue/cartilage around the beard and loose skin are designed to be able to flex quite a bit. I don't see outward signs of damage or anything unusual.

RyanHx

Original Poster
Thanks Cooper, that's reassuring at least! So it'd be a line of cartilage I'm feeling around his beard? Forgive my cluelessness. Maybe it was just where he squashed his beard into his chest a bit whilst looking downwards, and it poked out at a funny angle.

As a first-time beardie owner I feel like everyday I'm getting spooked by something that I need to Google :lol:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think so, but I'm not sure and don't have any veterinary training. I have seen enough dragons beards though and think it looks normal and since his beard coloring is also nice and bright he appears to be content and happy rather than in pain or distress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom