Beware of vets giving enemas to your dragon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just a warning about this because there are at times very bad reactions afterwards including beardie dying within a day to a week . Some vets give an enema when a dragon is going in to brumation and not pooing during this time, not recognizing that beardies rarely poo during their " sleepy " phase. An enema is very harsh on beardies and it can really unbalance their system and even possibly perforate the intestine end up with a sick or dead beardie. If your vet ever suggests an enema, be sure that the dragon actually needs it and is truly impacted with foreign materials [ like sand, walnut, wood chips, etc. ] before agreeing to it. Always ask for alternative methods first [ lactulose/enulose ] or better yet try natural laxatives like baby foods [ prunes, squash , sweet potato, mixed with olive oil ] and increase hydration as much as possible.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I second that.

I have a friend who lost her impacted but utherwize healthy and active and very friendly bearded dragon because the vet decided to
> give an enema
> flood the upper intestinal track with water under pressure
and this dragons was sent home immediately despite being
> very cold
> very lethargic
> very dark
> full on black beard
> gaping and having trouble breathing
and was dead within a couple of hours.

The vet involved wasn't some hack general practice vet , but one of the most highly recommended REPTILE vets in NSW who claimed to have trained in zoos.

If the vet suggests a enema , demand to see images proving it's necessary , no images , seek a second opinion .

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Due to the fact that a few members here have lost their dragons from vets giving them enemas just in the past couple months, this thread will be stickied for awhile to raise awareness.

-Brandon

Koru25

Hi thanks for this post.

Would it be worth including this part
AHBD":iboddpok said:
beardies rarely poo during their "sleepy " phase.
in the Brumation Care sheets section in the links above, to reassure other keepers that are just learning?

I have certainly been worrying about it a lot since my beardie has been waking up sporadically and eating some locusts and hasn't pooed in 2 weeks. I have been worrying about him getting impaction or the locust fermenting in his gut. Is this not something to worry about then? Thanks in advance.

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
Speaking as someone in the medical field (for hoomans, but same principles apply): Avoid invasive procedures unless you're 500% sure the conservative approaches aren't working and that something is actually bad enough to warrant risking a life for.

ALWAYS start with conservative treatments, then graduate to medical treatments if those aren't working, and THEN FINALLY go for surgical/other invasive treatments if all else fails.

But of course if you or your beardie or any other living entity are very clearly dying, go straight to the emergent approach.

fcooper

Hatchling Member
I've seen as many dragons get sick or even die from an inexperienced vet pumping meds. in to a dragon or giving an enema, antibiotics, etc when there were simple solutions that long-time owners would know how to handle.

Vamboothe

Just a warning about this because there are at times very bad reactions afterwards including beardie dying within a day to a week . Some vets give an enema when a dragon is going in to brumation and not pooing during this time, not recognizing that beardies rarely poo during their " sleepy " phase. An enema is very harsh on beardies and it can really unbalance their system and even possibly perforate the intestine end up with a sick or dead beardie. If your vet ever suggests an enema, be sure that the dragon actually needs it and is truly impacted with foreign materials [ like sand, walnut, wood chips, etc. ] before agreeing to it. Always ask for alternative methods first [ lactulose/enulose ] or better yet try natural laxatives like baby foods [ prunes, squash , sweet potato, mixed with olive oil ] and increase hydration as much as possible.
I had not read this prior to my post about Luap. Thank you so much for commenting on my thread..I love my Exotic Vet. He has been wonderful with my babies. But at same time had requested an enema..I'm ever wo glad my baby went poo before I allowed this to happen..Thank you again for commenting

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
I took my little beardie in 5 years ago because he had a some what of a black beard, I just asked for an x-ray to see if anything showed up, she said he was backed up, I told her no, he only goes once a week, she did the enema, she brought him back to me, black bearding and dying. I had to bring him back an hour later and put him to sleep. When I brought him back to put to sleep he has some blood coming out of his mouth. I wrote a very nasty letter to the clinic, and got one of the other vets to call me. I knew a couple vets there that were my friends. I was told the x-ray showed fluids around his heart and the vet didn't catch it. I also told her that that vet needs more training on what to look for on x-rays. I also took his body to another vet to do an autopsy on him to find out what happened. I will never let a vet do that again, and to have a vet do that against what I wanted, I guess I should have sued her over it. She didn't last long at that clinic.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Unfortunately to many vets claim they work with reptiles, but in reality they are not trained or have very little training.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom