Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new here and got my new bearded dragon at a local pet shop (PetSmart) and I still dunno if she/he is a she or he lol, But I chose a great name, Kayda! I found it of a website for game of thrones, No idea why..... But It apparently means like little Dragon in Japanese, So it's perfect!!
I was hoping for tips and tricks to help me along my journey haha!! Especially why she is always basking... Anyway I'm Arctic!! Glad to be here.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there Arctic, welcome to you + baby Kayda . :) I like that name, it's just right for a real live dragon. :) It's good that you ask for suggestions because lighting + temps. are SO important. So what type of bulbs do you have, give the exact type/brand. Is the uvb a coil, compact or long tube uvb ? Very important. Can you post pics of the entire set up, including the lights ? And what are you feeding Kayda.

ArcticWolf3049

Original Poster
I got Kayda around 3 days ago, I started feeding her live crickets, But I think I might switch to mealworms cause I hate crickets they are ugly... Kayda has freeze dried meal worms but I learned only the other day that it may be a little less protein than normal. Her UVB you ask? Well I will have to check, right now all Kayda ever wants to do is bask, and her basking bulb is a 50 watt, I got a desert terrarium starter kit, Which came with most the things I needed.... I did like little research on Kayda before I got her, It was like, Omgosh she is so cute I wanna get her ok she mine now.... (Lol) Her diet consists of Crickets and freeze dried mealworms (noob mistakes) a little salad either made of a buffet blend she has with carrots or cabbage, Or she has carrots on cabbage with Brocoli, She never eats it so why do I try?! But she did eat her brocli yesterday and I'm Soo proud... And she also yesterday I feel like this was odd... When I got her she was in shed.. but she had already gotten of the tail shed, Yesterday (day two) she shed of her back legs and right before they were done her back and belly pieces were coming off, Even the front legs were coming off by that point!! It scared me to death because she wasn't going to the bathroom at first so I assumed she needed more food or better lights or something but the second she finished shedding she pooped in her salad!!! WHO DOES THAT!?!??! I will post her set up ASAP

ArcticWolf3049

Original Poster
108294-159863313.jpg
108294-1475527701.jpg

I accidentally threw the boxes away but I had a little mindset of what they were, So I wen ton Petsmart store and took screenshots of what I believed were what I had, Now I swear the red box was picked by my step dad because he thinks THAT KAYDA NEEDS TO SLEEP WITH LIGHTS ON, BUT NO INE LISTENS TO ME LIKE GOOGLE APPARENTLY KNOWS EVERYTHING AND THIS WEBSITE TOTALLY DOESN'T SAY
Bearded Dragons sleep during the night, So it would be rude to leave on their lights even if it's dyed for they can see them, (also short message, I do believe they are hate and not UVB caus rim dumb so I give her natrual sun often everyday, Today I'm buying her a UVB and mealworms) not sorry crickets(says me) (stepdad) BUT SHE GONNA GET COLD!! NO SHE WONT!! THE ONLY PROBLEM IS HUMIDITY AND UVB.... And he like whatever... So yeah, Got any tips on humidity because in the day the levels read 38-40 for humidity and heat gets it like 98-103 and during the night heat is 78-84 and humidity is 60-70 which worries me greatly about URI but I found out that a sock full of rice helps ... But only by three percent!!! I'm a worried. And I really ever noticed this when my sister's brand new hamster (long story short, sister Birthday on may 14 so she got hamster I saw Kayda BAM I have dragon, NEXT) I feel as if Kayda is around a month old so I think she should be really active but half the day her eyes are closed and she is basking in her sticks or rock.... She never evens goes in her cave Idk why!?!
-Arctic

Side note,
The bulb isn't actually red, That's just the closets estimate I can get to the actual bulb, Srry! I'm Dory from finding Nemo Im so bad at remembering stuff, But today I will be going back to the store because Kayda decided yesterday was buffet day and thought Oh Mommy has a cage of 6 crickets left ILL EAT EM ALL IN ONE SITTING, She ligit won't eat em if they dead... Only live, She is sooo picky, won't even take live from the tongs just wants to chase, which I guess is good, But All she does take from me is brocli BROCOLI WHYY Ik she isn't supposed to have much Brocoli (says Google) but I just feel like she could use some, Also totky irrelevant but is it okay to handle your bearded dragon 1 day after getting them?!? Because I may or May not sat in the bath tub with blankets and pillows and watched YouTube while Kayda crawled all over my shoulders and legs, It was so ticklish, And She even licked me! Am I seriously not that safe?

ArcticWolf3049

Original Poster
108294-7456763289.jpg
Lol I post alot, Guess I'm just worried and can't type what I wanna say without going Oops I forgot to mention or Oops I misspelled that, But here is a Pic of her terrarium I know it's small gonna upgrade when I have the money again got her 3 days ago give me a break, But I am doing something right if she shed and used the bathroom and she ate..... There is also a picture of most of what I use, Crickets (what's left) were smashed with strawberries when they wouldn't come out of the cage hehe so when I shook it the strawberries like crushed five.... Oops Sorry not sorry.
108294-9791501881.jpg
108294-7456763289.jpg
Dunno why there's two of supplies lol

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're right the tank is small [ Kayda will probably outgrow it very quickly ] but you set it up very well, making good use of those sticks ! Beardies can climb , exercise and get close to the heat + uvb with tall branches in the tank. So A+ for the set up decor. :) And your'e right , no red light on at night !! We don't sleep with lights on and neither do beardies. The only time they would need more heat at night is if the temp. goes below 65 [ although 70 is better for a baby ] So tell stepdad [ in a nice way ] to take the bulb back , unless I think you said he threw the box away ? If you need night heat, a ceramic heater [ CHE ] would be the way to go, it produced heat but no light. So if there is no uuvb bulb you def. need a long tube Reptisun 10.0 so get one of those ASAP. Taking Kayda out in the sun is good but don't take her in her glass tank, that can heat up to deadly temps. very quickly. As for the freeze dried food, that's no good for babies so take it back + get more live crickets. Mealworms aren't great for babies either, the last thing you want to see is impaction, it can kill a baby beardie when the hard food in their digestive tract can't pass through. To give her a drink daily just use a syringe or spray bottle to drip water on her snout. If you have a water bowl iin her tank, take it out at night + keep the red light off, that will help keep humidity down. Other than that, 50-60 at night is fine. Oh, and the Fluker's dry food is not needed, take that back too. Just giver her a small salad daily, greens like collard, turnip, kale, mustard dandelion. Chop the collards very small, since they are tougher.

As far as sitting in the tub with her to handle her, that's fine ! Beardies are all different and some can be handled from day one.

ArcticWolf3049

Original Poster
Thanks! I used a little bit on YouTube but I felt her tank why EMPTY! So I added some sticks and pebbles dunno if you can see, But I do think it's great to hear that Kayda was fine to handle cause ummm well she likes my shoulders because I was watching YouTube in the tub with Kayda (don't judge lol) and I thought she was clinging to my shirt but reality she was in my shoulders asleep, sooo yeah.... Imma go to PetSmart today and we'll I have to get her crickets might as well get UVB light bar hehe! I'll just save the mealworms and buffet blend for another cause like when she is alot bigger, But other Ethan that, I have just one more question that's seriously worries me, What can I do to help her shed her head, because I noticed she started that piece today, and She kept rubbing her head on the rock which is fine but I also don't wanna over bath her.... Any idea?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Don't worry much about shedding, they do it themselves just fine but you can spritz her with water lightly in the tank during the day.

ArcticWolf3049

Original Poster
Alright sounds good, This morning she refused get water which I assume is normal cause she is a desert animal but, I'll just keep an eye on her, Anything else I should know or be aware of?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes stick on thermometers are only for ambient temps--- you need a digital probe thermometer from Petco or Petsmart $6 --- you need it for accurate basking temps ---- place on the spot where she sits for 10 minutes get temp it should be 105-110 ---
Karrie

ArcticWolf3049

Original Poster
Ok!
Great Idea I was son YouTube and heard similar things but Didn't know if I should do it, Thanks for the extra support!!
Thanks from both me and Kayda!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom