Bearded dragon no longer interested in greens

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 2 or 3 weeks now my beardie has not been interested at all in greens. He goes crazy for any insects, locusts, mealworms, morioworms, waxworms, anything so long as it moves. He's almost a year old and used to eat a whole bowl of greens from day one, but now he just kinda looks at them. He'll take one from my hand if I offer it to him but nothing after that, the rest is left in the bowl, he'll occasionally take a bit or two if he feels really hungry. Any ideas to get around this? Maybe mix some mealworms in with the greens?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes get some BSFL and use 3 super worms - put in the salad bowl that the bugs cant get out of feed FIRST in morning ---- no more meal worms ---- the BSFL are small and put them and the supers on top of salad and let him see you do this so the movement will attract his attention - feed as many BSFL as you want as they are a staple feeder - no dusting - after about 30 minutes or so feed him his bugs - either crickets or dubias --- it sounds like hes holding out for the meal worms -- I would cut them out for now and feed other insects - meal worms for a treat only -- try that and see how it goes
Karrie

Tenter75

I'm having the same issue with my beardie. I've been putting 3-4 super worms in his salad - then when he goes in to grab the worm, I slip some veg in front of him. Sometimes he grabs the veg but most times he's too quick! He'll finish the worms and go up to the basking area - ignoring the rest of his salad.
I just attached a bunch of escarole leaves to his enclosure with a suction cup. I've read articles where grazing on full leaves might be more enticing.

Will try BSFL instead of super worms.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If he has to dig for the worms he will get vegies as hes doing that - meaning he will scoop up the vegies in his mouth to eat the worms
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

At a year old you can cut back a bit on the feeders and offer him more of a salad. He likely isn't eat it because he knows he can fill up on what he prefers, his bugs. Limit the bugs and let him have access to a salad at all times. When he decides he is hungry enough, or learns that he can't fill up on bugs, he will eat his salad :)

-Brandon

Hello I was wondering if your offering a variety of veggies? My babies are 11yrs MD 6 yrs old. They love sweet potato and squash. You can offer green beans, carrots broccoli. There are lists posted all over so you know what they can and can't have. I have an electronic chopper sometimes ill mix a couple fresh strawberries which they love. Im feeding two dragons. I love my chopper because the container comes with a lid that closes on top. I mix veggies every 2 or 3 days and after filling their dishes im able to store in the fridge until I empty it. Then wash and mix for the next couple days.

Draven88

Hatchling Member
All great suggestions so far so I wont go into them again. One other thing I have had success with in helping enticement to the greens is to take a safe fruit they may like if any and get some of the juices from it spread on the greens. Often the fruits will have much more scent and this can help their interest as well as adding some of the fruit flavor to the greens without overdoing the amount of fruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom