Beardie Introductions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draven88

Hatchling Member
Well I have been coming here for almost 2 years, as well as some other resources but I always seemed to gravitate back here for the good advice based on the members years of experience.

With that being said, it is long overdue to post a thank you to all those who take their time to help educate those who are new and learning an introduce our dragons. (Once we fell in love with Beardies... one just wasn't enough)

Unfortunately the pictures just don't show the same colors as in person as it they were taken by my phone

Our first Saphira was from a pet shop as we had researched care, but weren't really sure of where to purchase from. Just a full out normal but a great girl.

TLmaOJ6.jpg

Our next was Torch. As a baby he was a brilliant deep red with black tiger stripes. He has grown into more of an orange with most stripes only visible when hes trying to absorb more heat but can always see a couple.

cDfdFfH.jpg

Followed by our Hypo, Wero named Blizzard after his (nearly) white appearance other than a typical darker spot on the bottom of his tail at the tip.

zZqTURq.jpg

Next up is Sunny, an amazingly affectionate girl who will climb up on you readily and just hates to be put down.

M48M0ZM.jpg

And we have two very recent additions to finish off our group. Currently trying to find names that suit them (maybe i'm crazy, but when naming them it really has to be where it clicks that it suit them perfectly). Any suggestions are welcome.

We have female citrus tiger striped. Great girl who we are working on getting settled in, not as active as we would like but still adjusting.

ruNMiy3.jpg

And lastly, our Hypo, Trans, Male. He is also said to be genetic stripe, but his colors can shift based on basking for a while or not. When hes wanting to get warmer and basking he is almost all orange but once heated up he transitions to a citrus yellow with the orange stripes.

ELApyNd.jpg

We may be crazy for wanting so many, but as Im sure everyone here can understand... We love them.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the site!

I do believe you are the first here to have a Wero, so there's that :)

Who did you buy the Wero from? Hypo leather Wero, would be interested in knowing the parents genetics if you had them.

-Brandon

Draven88

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for the welcomes.

Our Wero was a pairing of Het x Het for both Zero and Witblit. He was hatched December 24th 2019 by Andrews Reptiles on Morph Market https://www.morphmarket.com/stores/andrews_reptiles_llc/?cat=bds

He came recommended to me as well as all positive reviews (He currently has 1 negative review out of 40, regarding the dragon not being tame. I think we all here know that while beardies can be wonderful companions they need to trust us to be 100% calm and combined with stress of shipping it is our duty to them to work with and socialize them. No breeder is able to 100% tame every dragon as babies to accept anyone immediately. And he did respond tat a full refund was offered but the buyer wanted to keep the beardie AND be refunded)

I will say for anyone reading this that the Wero we purchased is absolutely perfect and stunning in person, but he was a bit feisty at first with new people and surroundings. He has since really mellowed out other than sometimes being a bit squirmy when handled, its a work in progress and he is still quite young.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Glad to hear of the hetxhet pairing. Haven't heard of that particular breeder before. Not many people are producing Weros successfully.

Glad he has started to settle for you. They all have their own personalities and IME really has absolutely nothing to do with the breeder.

-Brandon

Draven88

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":3ks171e5 said:
Glad to hear of the hetxhet pairing. Haven't heard of that particular breeder before. Not many people are producing Weros successfully.

Glad he has started to settle for you. They all have their own personalities and IME really has absolutely nothing to do with the breeder.

-Brandon

I absolutely agree. In my opinion when you are purchasing a baby the work is yours to do to socialize them. Good breeders will be concerned with making sure the entire clutch is healthy and growing properly.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, you do have a full house ! Lots of diversity there, boys + girls of different colors + morphs. :) My name suggestions are Tyga [ Tie - ga ] for your new tiger girl and Pumpkin for your handsome hypo trans. boy. I won't be offended if these names are not to your liking. Or you might have named them by now. Here's my leatherback citrus tiger , I just called him Tigger and it stuck. I bred him myself, he's about 8 yrs. old now and still as athletic and fit as a fiddle. Second pic is in his outside cage.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29881/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29954/full

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Beautiful dragons, all of them!
Love reading about and seeing them all.

I keep reading about these super affectionate, even cuddly ones and have a little twinge of jealousy every time because our girl wants nothing to do with any of that. :(

Draven88

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
WinFam01":27t469bm said:
Beautiful dragons, all of them!
Love reading about and seeing them all.

I keep reading about these super affectionate, even cuddly ones and have a little twinge of jealousy every time because our girl wants nothing to do with any of that. :(

Dont be discouraged, there are ways to work with them to help. Its good to keep in mind you will never remove their instinct to protect themselves. So flattening out, puffing the beard, and even exhaling in a almost hissing sound are things you will encounter with a new baby and even adults that havent had someone make the effort to earn their trust.

They can be very smart and are always watching their surrroundings, so some things i have found helped my feisty ones. First dont give up on them. Taking a break from socialization just sets the process back. If you have an enclosure with a top opening dont come at them from above, this will be the most likely to trigger instinctive defense from predators. Reach in from the opposite side and acroos the enclosure slowly at their level. If this still makes them feisty you can start by simply reating your hands outside the enclosrure but right in view close. That starts them realizing its not a threat to them. Work up to hand inside next to them without touching, when this gets no reaction move on to touching. For mine the spot they seem to enjoy the moat is thw back of the head onto the neck. Aa for holding them always pick them up with fulll support from below. I started with juat resting on my hand while still in their enclosure, it is their safe space and helps along with fully supporting them. If they feel unsteady or they arent able to hold on they dont like it.

All in all it can be frustrating along the way, but well worth it in the end when they get to a point where you can have them see you coming and walk right up wanting to come spend time with you. They truly do enjoy it once a bond/ trust is established.

Another thing i did when bringing them out at first is sit near a tv or computer with a show or viseo on. They alwaya seem captivatee by the colors and it can be calming.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Thank you for your thoughtful reply.
She's actually never been really feisty, just squirmy and always wanting to get away. It just seems like she only tolerates us, and would rather be left alone or go back in her tank.
We are gentle with her, so I think it might just be her personality. ??‍♀️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom