Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
AHBD":an759wu3 said:
So then it does seem to be the meds. Possibly needs a break from them now.

Yes seems it is reaction to the meds. I called her primary vet this morning and described what was happening. We were both worried it was obstruction but when i detailed the episodes and timing she confirmed that it sounds more like reaction to the medication.

Taro responds well to cuddles with a fluffy blanket and my body heat, she is able to keep everything down if i hold her for an hour upright on my chest with the warm blanket. So far so good- this morning Taro seems to he tolerating the food and meds shes had this morning.

cK0771F.jpg

She went trying to climb the back wall again after this photo haha

Vet told me that while the meds are tough on her, she wants to give her a little more time to adjust- as this is the preferred treatment for her condition. if no improvement in the next week then we will review the routine. Perhaps the benefit outweighs the risk..?

She said something else that suprised me, she says Taro will be on flagyl for life! though a low maintenance dose once we go through the plan.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, that's sweet how she's on your chest at a tilt + as long as she can be in contact with your body heat with a blanket over then she's safe + warm. :) As for being on Flagyl for life, I've never heard of it. Was the reason why explained for that treatment ?

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
AHBD":3ggyyk9q said:
Aw, that's sweet how she's on your chest at a tilt + as long as she can be in contact with your body heat with a blanket over then she's safe + warm. :) As for being on Flagyl for life, I've never heard of it. Was the reason why explained for that treatment ?

Yes this seems to be the most comfortable place for her! She just falls right asleep and i get to see those nice orange colors in her beard :)

Ive heard of similar situations in people with things like chronic uti where they will be kept on a low constant dose to keep it under control... but im not really sure. My assumption is she fears recurrence of the infection due to how nasty it spread in her gastric tract and liver. I'll ask the details next time I ring. I'm worried this will mean she will need ongoing Nystat too. She will definitely need probiotics. So much medicine,,

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'd be concerned that any infection would become resistant to not only the Flagyl but then to any other Antibiotx though. That's what has caused so many drug resistant infections in humans, I'm pretty sure it would be the same with animals.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
AHBD":x3s956na said:
I'd be concerned that any infection would become resistant to not only the Flagyl but then to any other Antibiotx though. That's what has caused so many drug resistant infections in humans, I'm pretty sure it would be the same with animals.

It does feel like we have tried every single antibiotic at this point. I don't even know how the abcess began.. feels like she's had a yeast infection forever too. id imagine the histopathology would identify which antibiotic it were sensitive to..? I really don't know :(

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
No more vomiting from Taro through today- she seems to have settled down for now. She's loafing around at the moment but her posture seems fine and shes alert. Getting drowsy though becaise its starting to be evening time. :) I dont have as many meds to give in the evening but I'll be sure to cuddle her awhile to see that she doesn't bring it up too quickly.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh ok, I see! The dulpha milk should be helpful for her, indeed. How is she doing today?
That is great to hear Taro hasn't vomited today. I hope that she is sleeping well & isn't in
any pain right now.
I would think that the histology would have detected the yeast & which medication to use,
I agree. It is exactly the same, their systems do become more resistant to medications when
they are used too frequently.
Keep us posted on her!

Tracie

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Woke up today to see a little bit of possible vomit but mostly runny poo in the enclosure. She still seems a bit sickly but handling feeds and meds better today.

She took a nap with me this afternoon sitting up on the couch cuddled in a blanket and seemed to enjoy it. I'm worried about her weight a little, hoping her tummy settles a bit more. I'll talk to the vet again this week but she's stable for the time being at least :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She looks surprisingly good in the photo based on what she has been through. She's a tough one for sure!

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
She's definitely all those things! Tough, sweet, and grouchy all at the same time ×)

Taro had a good day today! No vomiting or loose poo. She's holding everything down and isnt puffing or seeming as nauseous. I was so sure id come home to a messy enclosure but she was fine. She's definitely fighting the meds now more than before though.. She's smartened up and tries to climb away as i take her out and start to draw them up haha

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Here's some silly photos of her, before she was sick and when she was younger haha

kXL8Rp3.jpg

dVpTQEB.jpg

pxG8ogi.jpg

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
After fussing around the enclosure this morning, followed by a HUGE dump, Taro is looking a bit satisfied with herself

RGtQCAK.jpg

9TsKSZl.jpg

FMY7RMf.jpg

Vomiting and signs of nausea seem to have stopped ! Feeds and meds were easy today. Cleaning a Taro covered head to toe in poop, on the other hand, a different story...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Taro is looking very spry there, great pictures! She is shedding too which is terrific. At
least she is getting a little easier to get food & medications into. Bless her. She sure has
been through a lot but I would say she is definitely improving. :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom